How to use my recovery equiptment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > How to use my recovery equiptment

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
ober_bro

How to use my recovery equiptment

Recently I acquired a 20 ft by 2 inch wide tow strap and this winter i would like to help friends who slide off the road due to snow, I know were to attach my half of the tow strap, my tow hitch or bumper, but what about other cars without two hitches or metal bumpers?

ober_bro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Attach either end of the strap to whatever needs to get pulled off. Seriously, proper, safe, and secure tow points are REQUIRED at both ends, unless you are willing to risk separating parts from the vehicles.

Use the Google, find some video instruction on safe recovery methods.

Watch this if you don't believe me ->

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
ober_bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
Attach either end of the strap to whatever needs to get pulled off. Seriously, proper, safe, and secure tow points are REQUIRED at both ends, unless you are willing to risk separating parts from the vehicles. Use the Google, find some video instruction on safe recovery methods. Watch this if you don't believe me -> Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDjmylmXxew
Yeah, I've seen these and a lot of them and what I was looking for is what are safe secure towing points?
Unread 01-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
JPNCA
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Most of the time I have the other person hook up their own vehicle.
JPNCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A class III receiver hitch can be used. Insert the strap and secure it with the hitch pin, or buy a dedicated recovery insert. NEVER place any sort of recovery strap or chain over/around a tow ball. Tow balls can snap off and become a very large bullet.

Most Jeeps can be fitted with Jeep tow points that were a factory option, and some companies make recovery points that bolt into the factory location.

As suggested, always let the stuck guy choose his poison when it comes to attachment of the recovery strap. If something breaks, then it is his fault. Tow hooks are the best choice for pulling on, everything else, not so much.

Anything that pulls loose will get flung, just like the stuff in the Video, so make sure everybody is clear of a the danger zone near the recovery strap.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hook it up yourself until and only if you are comfortable with the attachment. Don't ever let another person hook it up for you. It has absolutely no impact on your liability which you have regardless of who hooks it up despite an urban myth to the contrary. And, the idiot who hooks you up may not even be the owner of the other rig.

And, as said above both rigs need good attachment points. Most cars have either frame slots for a J hook attachment or a tow ring or hook in the rear.

You attach to your tow hitch by putting the loop into the receiver and inserting the pin. And, 30 feet is better. The further away you are, the safer. And, if you don't have enough room you can always double up a 30 foot strap. Carry flares or cones or orange triangles and get the bystanders way out of the way before you put your foot on the gas. Seriously.

And read every word of the following before you do anything:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Friends or not, carry a small note pad and pen and get a signed waver.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
Friends or not, carry a small note pad and pen and get a signed waver.
Now you're talking.

And, here is what it should say, more or less:

In consideration of the services of _____________________ in recovering my stuck vehicle, as a good Samaritan and volunteer ("Volunteer") and not for compensation, I do hereby release and agree to hold harmless and indemnify the VOLUNTEER, from any and all claims, actions, damages, liabilities, costs, or expenses (including reasonable attorneys fees), and without any limitation whatsoever, whether consisting of personal injury, property damage or death, that do or may result in any way from services provided by them, whether such injuries of any kind or nature are caused by their negligence or not, assuming for myself any and all responsibility and liability for same. Further, I agree that I will not sue any volunteer. I SPECIFICALLY AGREE THAT BEFORE PARTICIPATING I WILL INSPECT ALL AREAS INVOLVED FULLY REALIZING, ACCEPTING, AND UNDERSTANDING THAT vehicle recovery IS INHERENTLY RISKY AND DANGEROUS, AND CARRIES SIGNIFICANT RISK OF PERSONAL INJURY AND PROPERTY DAMAGE TO ME AND OTHERS.

This release and indemnity is binding upon my heirs, administrators, executors and personal representatives, and I herewith affirm my free and willing intent to execute it, acknowledging a complete understanding of its terms and conditions and the totality of its effect, and the waiver of any rights that I would otherwise have had, had this agreement not been executed. I warrant that I am the owner of the vehicle described below, or the owners representative. I hereby waive any right of subrogation on behalf of my insurer(s) and on behalf of any insurer of the vehicle described below and agree that no claim may be brought against the Volunteers by any such insurer by way of subrogation.

I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE RELEASE AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT ABOVE.
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
ober_bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010
Now you're talking.
is that actually legally sound I have a handwritten note??
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ober_bro View Post
is that actually legally sound I have a handwritten note??
Handwritten is fine as long as it says what it supposed to say.

Even part of what I posted above is enough. That is language we use as stream crossing volunteers. You know, the part where we say, crawl through here at like 1 mph and some yahoo floors it and hydrolocks the motor in his dad's new Jeep.
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Indy

Waivers make for low quality toilet paper. Call a tow truck.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:41 AM   #12
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Now you're talking.

And, here is what it should say, more or less:

In consideration of the services of _____________________ in recovering my stuck vehicle, as a good Samaritan and volunteer ("Volunteer") and not for compensation, I do hereby release and agree to hold harmless and indemnify the VOLUNTEER, from any and all claims, actions, damages, liabilities, costs, or expenses (including reasonable attorneys fees), and without any limitation whatsoever, whether consisting of personal injury, property damage or death, that do or may result in any way from services provided by them, whether such injuries of any kind or nature are caused by their negligence or not, assuming for myself any and all responsibility and liability for same. Further, I agree that I will not sue any volunteer. I SPECIFICALLY AGREE THAT BEFORE PARTICIPATING I WILL INSPECT ALL AREAS INVOLVED FULLY REALIZING, ACCEPTING, AND UNDERSTANDING THAT vehicle recovery IS INHERENTLY RISKY AND DANGEROUS, AND CARRIES SIGNIFICANT RISK OF PERSONAL INJURY AND PROPERTY DAMAGE TO ME AND OTHERS.

This release and indemnity is binding upon my heirs, administrators, executors and personal representatives, and I herewith affirm my free and willing intent to execute it, acknowledging a complete understanding of its terms and conditions and the totality of its effect, and the waiver of any rights that I would otherwise have had, had this agreement not been executed. I warrant that I am the owner of the vehicle described below, or the owners representative. I hereby waive any right of subrogation on behalf of my insurer(s) and on behalf of any insurer of the vehicle described below and agree that no claim may be brought against the Volunteers by any such insurer by way of subrogation.

I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE RELEASE AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT ABOVE.
Not a bad thing to print and carry in your glove box. It's better then nothing at all.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

We had to get a waiver for some stream crossings we supervised. Required by the event promoter.

For my part, when I see a person in trouble, I get out and look and if I can safely help I do so. No waiver, no "you hook up your car" no $tip. Just pull em out and go.

I will say this, that as much experience as I have had in recovery, it mostly comes down to weight of the rigs. My K2500 Burb can pull a full sized car or an F150 up out of a ditch with ease, but if I tried it in my Rubicon, it would be a disaster.

Here's the old hoss right here:

Unread 01-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #14
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ober_bro View Post
Recently I acquired a 20 ft by 2 inch wide tow strap and this winter i would like to help friends who slide off the road due to snow, I know were to attach my half of the tow strap, my tow hitch or bumper, but what about other cars without two hitches or metal bumpers?
Leave them for the professional recovery companies that are appropriately equipped to handle it and insured to protect themselves. This is why there is more than one type of tow truck. If it was always as easy as finding what seems to be a good chuck of metal and hooking up a strap or cable there would only be only one type of tow truck.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #15
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

delete

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.