How long does the trailer need to be to tow 2 TJs? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > How long does the trailer need to be to tow 2 TJs?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #16
BlackRubi2006
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have 24 ft gooseneck that I tow two jeeps. One LJ and one TJ. We have to remove the spares in order to make them fit. I bought the trailer used and at a great price, if I were to buy it again, I would look for 25 ft or 26 at least just to make life a little easier.

BlackRubi2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #17
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The tow rig will be fine. Those published numbers are about 30% low. But 32 feet is needed to tie them down conveniently.
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:57 AM   #18
lanrod
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Deacon bought a 32' gooseneck with two sets of two wheels on each side (8 total); we loaded our two Jeeps on it and towed the trailer with his Super Duty F250. Now that was traveling in style. The truck was not even working hard, and the trailer pulled steady and straight.

You could get by with a shorter trailer, but it was really nice having all that room.

Unread 11-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #19
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You will be happier with more angle on the tie down straps in that a perpendicular strap allows a lot of movement and a low angled strap a lot less. That is one reason for the extra room, so that you can get the straps angled. Try attaching the front strap winch strap to the rear of the vehicle and vice versa.

Nice trailer, superb tow rig. Happy motoring!
Unread 11-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #20
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming
you will need a 20' trailer to get 2 TJs on, you may have to load them nose to nose if they have big aftermarket tire carriers, but a 20' will get both with a little overhang, no matter what you pull it with
I would like to see this. I have an 18' trailer and there is no way with two more feet you are going to be able to safely tow two Jeeps.
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #21
mbryson
1980 CJ7 

I tow pretty regularly with two rigs on a 26' flatbed.
While I understand the below is a Sami, it's fairly long. I've got another pic somewhere of my Jeep with a CJ8 on my trailer.

Here's a LONG wheelbase Toyota on my trailer. I didn't like how this was loaded, but for the 6-7 miles I towed it, it worked fine. My leveling kit on my Dodge isn't real towing friendly.
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #22
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your photos don't really add much to this discussion. No offense intended. But we can add and certainly it is possible to put an 11 foot long Sami and a 13 foot long Wrangler on a 26 foot trailer touching each other. The question is what length trailer is needed to load two rigs . . . safely, securely and comfortably. You can't do it on a 26 foot trailer. You can park them up there but everything you do is limited by the fact that they are 2" apart. We know what it takes to really get them well strapped down and secure and still be able to move around the trailer. Why on earth would someone want to plan a 26' trailer when a 32' trailer is what is needed and might weigh all of 300 pounds more? I guess if a person had a 27' barn it was going in off season it might matter.
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #23
mbryson
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
.... You can't do it on a 26 foot trailer. ..
Uh, ????? Looks like it works well to me? The green CJ8 has been on that trailer for probably 2500 miles with my Jeep behind it. Towed by the blue Excursion or my black Dodge.

I think the Sami has about 115-118" wheelbase (meaning his Sami takes about the same "signature" on the trailer as my Jeep). The Toyota thing in the other picture is about 126"-128" wheelbase and is showing that as the limitation of the 26' trailer. I don't think I'd want to haul that one very far, but it worked for the 5-6 miles required.

USUALLY I only tow my Jeep around. 32' is kind of big for that. The 26' will take two when I need to but is still relatively manageable in parking lots at Wal Mart and the mall.
Unread 01-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #24
TexasTeaJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think mine is a 30' deck.

TexasTeaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #25
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

EDIT: I just saw that the OP has solved his issue but I will leave this up here for anyone else who needs the info. Any other questions about towing or trailers just PM me or email me at Logan@AllProWest.com Like I said, I do this everyday with customers and a lot of jeep/offroad guys.

I sell trailers for a living. Hopefully I can provide some insight.

The whole thing with hauling 2 vehicles (jeeps or not) is that its not about just the length of the vehicles. You need to be able to tie them down proficiently which means having room to anchor the tie downs ahead of the front axle and behind the rear axle. Also, the way the trailer tows behind the truck will be affected by where the weight is centered on the trailer. If you go too small then you will have a large amount of tongue weight or you will be forced to keep one of the jeeps resting behind the rear axle which will cause sway issues. I would look for something with a minimum of 30' deck length. Your truck will be fine to tow the rigs. Lots of manufacturers make 25'+5' trailers which means a 25' flat deck and a 5' beavertail. This should work just fine for you. Wilson you are correct.

I see it all the time with people trying to use the smallest trailer possible when it doesnt really benefit them to do so. A 26' trailer isnt going to tow any different and wont be that uch easier to maneuver than a 30' since they are both fairly large trailers.

Do yourself a favor and go with AT LEAST a 30' trailer if not larger. Make sure you examine the trailers GVW and dry weight in order to determine its tow capacity. The larger the trailer with the same GVW as a smaller trailer will be rated to tow less since it weighs more empty.
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyJayPA View Post
EDIT: I just saw that the OP has solved his issue but I will leave this up here for anyone else who needs the info. Any other questions about towing or trailers just PM me or email me at Logan@AllProWest.com Like I said, I do this everyday with customers and a lot of jeep/offroad guys.

I sell trailers for a living. Hopefully I can provide some insight.

The whole thing with hauling 2 vehicles (jeeps or not) is that its not about just the length of the vehicles. You need to be able to tie them down proficiently which means having room to anchor the tie downs ahead of the front axle and behind the rear axle. Also, the way the trailer tows behind the truck will be affected by where the weight is centered on the trailer. If you go too small then you will have a large amount of tongue weight or you will be forced to keep one of the jeeps resting behind the rear axle which will cause sway issues. I would look for something with a minimum of 30' deck length. Your truck will be fine to tow the rigs. Lots of manufacturers make 25'+5' trailers which means a 25' flat deck and a 5' beavertail. This should work just fine for you. Wilson you are correct.

I see it all the time with people trying to use the smallest trailer possible when it doesnt really benefit them to do so. A 26' trailer isnt going to tow any different and wont be that uch easier to maneuver than a 30' since they are both fairly large trailers.

Do yourself a favor and go with AT LEAST a 30' trailer if not larger. Make sure you examine the trailers GVW and dry weight in order to determine its tow capacity. The larger the trailer with the same GVW as a smaller trailer will be rated to tow less since it weighs more empty.
I know this is a month old, but I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents.

You are right. 29-30' is about the min you'll want to tow two Jeeps with. It can be done with shorter, but will take some extra work.

I tow 2 Jeeps, 1 YJ, 1 TJ on my 29' 14k GN trailer (25'+4' dove tail @ approx 5k unloaded) and can get them both on right at the 26' mark. When I weighed it in @ the local CAT scale I came in well below axle ratings as well. So I'd say what I have is about minimum what you'd want for 2 rigs.

Here are my weight tickets to show approx what 2 rigs will weigh:

Empty trailer:

Loaded:

Hope this helps anyone looking at this type setup.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.