How to estimate trailer capacity? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > How to estimate trailer capacity?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 10-14-2013, 04:14 AM   #1
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How to estimate trailer capacity?

A while back I had posted that I got a little cargo trailer for free, and I did do some work to it (new boards on the deck, paint, new lights, etc) but I would like to know what my axle/springs can handle.

I know the tires are only rated to 590lbs (each) and would like to get larger ones with higher capacity, but I do not want to if the axle/springs are not up to it.

The wheels are 4 lug; and the axle is a square tube axle. Ive read that if you measure the diameter of the axle, you can get a good 'guess' on the weight rating; but thats only for round axles, isnt it?

As for the leaf springs, I have NO clue how to find out what they are rated for.

I DO know for a fact that the trailer deck itself will hold a fair bit of weight (Id say its built like a 3500lbs deck), but as of now, I KNOW the tires ARE a limiting factor, and the axle/springs may be as well.

I honestly just would like to know what is safe to haul; more than what I could haul at the max (I did haul a trailer load of scrap batteries; weighing around 1100lbs... that was sketchy enough for me on those tires even though I only went about 1 km!).

Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickxeo View Post
... I would like to know what my axle/springs can handle.
Rule of thumb....
4 lug axles are 1000 lbs max
5 lug bolts = 3500 lb axles
6 lug bolts = 5200 lb axles
8 lug bolts = 7000 lbs

Also.....
1 3/8" axles tube diameter = 1000 lbs
2 3/8" = 3500 lbs
3" = 6-7000 lbs
3 1/2" - 8,000 lbs
etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickxeo View Post
..... as of now, I KNOW the tires ARE a limiting factor.....
I would say if no brakes....that is the limiting factor!
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Indy

Your trailer is a LIGHT weight trailer, I'd say 1000 pounds max before I had serious stress about hitching it to my truck. The tires aren't the limiting factor on that one, they're rated for a smidge more than the trailer likely would be. You can go to bigger tires if you need the clearance but the weight limit on the trailer isn't going to budge.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.