How do you attach the Jeep to the Trailer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > How do you attach the Jeep to the Trailer?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 09-24-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

How do you attach the Jeep to the Trailer?

Right now I attach the strap around the diff pumpkins with ratchet straps. How do you attach your jeep to the trailer. I've heard good and bad things about attaching the jeep to the bumpers vs the axles.

Do you use chain or straps? I've been thinking about going with chain on the rear but haven't decided.

What do you all think?

My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
z71offroader

i like using straps compared to chains. but straps can stretch so u have to check them everytime u pull over. but i think chains are more dangerous. but using a chain just to loop it around an axle, not tight can be helpful incase a strap comes loose.
93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
z71offroader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a set like this. Two adjustable length loops and two ratchets. The loops are adjusted to go from front shackle to the trailer. The two ratchets are around the rear axle and to the trailer. This setup gives two independent connections at each end.
Unread 09-24-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking about doing a set of those. The thing i'm worried about with doing those is with the rear brake lines. I don't want to pinch them with the straps. I was thinking about using a chain in the rear due to the way my Nth Drive shaft skid rubbs the srap wrong and then a strap on the rear.

Where did you get your individual strap kit?

Do you all attach it to the body or to the axle?

I'm just wondering if I could figure out a better way to strap it down.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

Unread 09-24-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You will have to relocate the brake lines a bit, or replace with longer ones not in harms way, no clean way around that. I got my straps at a trailer place when I got the trailer years ago. I found the pic through Google.
Unread 09-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

mine is close to JeeperDon's...but I use ratchet straps and axle wraps...instead of the fancy one-piece deals...

because I needed them the next day, and it's what I could find locally...

the axle straps were $9.99/each from Northern Tool:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_28659_28659

and I think my straps came from Home Depot...but they're similar to these:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_12820_12820

I go from the front axle straight ahead on both sides, and around then cross the straps on the back around each side of the pumpkin...

four independent connections, all tied to the axles...

front looks something like this:

rear looks like this:

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I was looking in the Northern Catalog today and saw those straps. I have the same as the second link that I use front and rear. I think mine were from pep boys as a christmas present last year.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

Unread 09-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
JTB51B
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I haul a LOT of cars and we till tie down with the wheels if possible. We have straps that are 1.5" with d loops on each end, run those through the holes in the wheels and hook to a binder strap attached to the trailer. One thing that will help is to cross your straps, right rear goes to left rear of trailer and so on. By tying down with the wheels you eliminate the suspension even tho the axle offers the same thing there are no brake lines to contend with at the wheels. This only works if you have wheels with no sharp areas to cut the straps, in that case wrap up the axle.

Jason
1998 Sport Auto trans, 3.73 gears, D30/lockright D44/Detroit, 33" Mud tires, FT LCA's JKS Adj. Trac bar FT 4" coils, RE GEN II Disco's--1 1/4 JKS BL, 1" MML XD9000i up front, HD bumpers with extraction points.-Done.
1973 cz 250 MX Not much suspension, but 36 BHP at 6k rpms!
2006 Rhino SE, 27" Mud lites and a cupholder.
http://www.caos4x4.com/cmbs/index.php
JTB51B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.