home made trailer, DMV needs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > home made trailer, DMV needs

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
03Wrangler

home made trailer, DMV needs

We have a trailer that we just built. It is a 5x10 little trailer that'll haul my four wheeler, snow mobile, or what ever else i need to tow with my jeep.

What do i need in New York to get a title and register this trailer to make it road legal?

thanks for the help... i'll get some pics the next time i bring it out of the shop...

erick

03Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
That1guy
2007 WK 

I dont know what they would require, but i'm sure it needs working lights, fenders, and safety chains.
Unread 01-16-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
03Wrangler

I bought the lights (being shipped today), have fenders mounted, and i need to find one more safety chain, there's one on it... i dunno why we diddnt have two?

what about paperwork, and weighing it?
Unread 01-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Indy

Call your DMV and ask what they need. Locally trailers that weigh under 1k unladen don't need to be registered. If you do register it you'll need an OAN (owner applied number) inscribed on it in place of a VIN.
Unread 01-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
Steelz19
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I know you need to get it weighed, when i lost the papers for our boat trailer we had to get it weighed with and without the boat and then the DMV had some paper work to fill out, last thing you need to do is get it inspected. And a trailer that small only needs one safety chain (i broke one on my 4x8 and still passed inspection).
Unread 01-16-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
03Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
Call your DMV and ask what they need. Locally trailers that weigh under 1k unladen don't need to be registered. If you do register it you'll need an OAN (owner applied number) inscribed on it in place of a VIN.
so seeing as i can pick it up, i dont need to register it? what about inspections and such?
Unread 01-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
fedrusion
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You do need to register any trailer in NYS.
Here is what you need.
http://nysdmv.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...i=&p_topview=1
5.5" Composite lift, Rough Country Control Arm Drop Brackets, 31X10.5X15 Dayton Timberline AT's On Canyons, 31X10.5 Firestone Destination MT's, P.O.R.C. SYE and front CV Drive Shaft, Homemade Short Ram Intake, Locked 8.25. Comming Soon: Stroker.
2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo (To be left alone) Wife's. http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...n/IMG_0007.jpg
fedrusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.