Hitches for the Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Hitches for the Jeep

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
mdplayer

Hitches for the Jeep

I am getting around to putting a hitch on the jeep for a couple different reasons, mostly for holding a bike rack. I don't think I will be towing anything that often (maybe a light trailer of firewood or something of that sort). But wasn't sure about brand. The 2 big ones out there are Hidden Hitch and Draw Tight. I also saw a Curt and some other brands. I know it will be a 2" hitch and my jeep is a 2.5L.

Are there any real differences between any of the brands. Is one any better, or even worse than the others. It probably isn't a HUGE difference between brands, but I figured I would ask.

Thanks in advance.

mdplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
PAULSWILLY

I looked into those brands as well. I went ahead and paid the extra money for the Mopar hitch. The hitch itself is not much more expensive, but it has the attatched plug box for the 7pin trailer plug. Then you can get the wiring kit that will plug in right behind your left tail light. This kit also has the provisions for 12 volt wiring that runs up to your battery. Also in that loom is a wire for trailer brakes.

All this sounds too much to be running on a Jeep, however we just pulled a pop-up camper to the mountains last weekend and this set up worked like a champ. Even the trailer brakes.

1963 Willy's CJ5 [COLOR=Red]Red[/COLOR],
PAULSWILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
z71offroader

mine came with a curt reciever on it.....took it off since i got warn bumpers, but from my experience with other vehicles and such is draw-tite makes some of the best out there. not sure if my curt one will fit ur TJ but if i do i can sell u my curt half of what retail is on it.
93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
z71offroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Draw tite works great for me. pulls my 5 x 8 grocery cart.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
JeepCreepn01

draw tite is a great brand, been around forever, bot sure if your ever gonna go wheeling or anything like that but a second option is to always buy a aftermarket bumper with a 2" hitch already in it, saves some ground clearance and the headache of taking it off down the road to get a new bumper
JeepCreepn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 01:05 AM   #6
Kuasimodem

I like my Hidden Hitch because it tucks up tight to the bottom of the bumper.

I know this is an XJ, but you get the idea...

The only part that is actually showing is the receiver tube and safety chain loops.
White Jeep Club Member #1992
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #5!
Old Guy Jeep Club Member #1992

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan
Kuasimodem is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.