hitch rating question - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > hitch rating question

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Reply
Unread 11-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
muddmonky
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Posts: 497
hitch rating question

on my truck i have a hitch (came with it when i bought it) that says 10k lbs with weight distribution and 5k lbs without WD.

does that mean that my hitch is only rated to carry a 5k lb trailer on the ball with out weight distribution??

muddmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
TJnProgress
Member
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Herington, Kansas
Posts: 266
I'd say yes, but without a better idea what setup you have, I'd go with the lowest weight listed on your configuration. There's the truck, hitch, and ball/mount weight rating to consider. I've seen a lot of cheap hitch balls and mounts used that were rated well below the rating of the hitch they were installed with. A picture of what you're talking about might help.

My brother's 3/4-ton Chevy came with a Class IV or V hitch, but had a cheap Wally-crap mount and ball that were only rated at 4.5k. Thankfully he noticed it and replaced it with a better quality unit before pulling anything.
TJnProgress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
MPond
Web Wheeler
 
MPond's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddmonky View Post
...does that mean that my hitch is only rated to carry a 5k lb trailer on the ball with out weight distribution??
Yes, that's exactly what it means. Most OEM hitches on full-size trucks come with two ratings - one with weight distribution (WD) and another without WD. The rating you've described means that your hitch is only rated to carry 5K lbs on the ball without WD.

That's also only the rating of your hitch. In addition to that, you are also limited by the tongue weight rating of your hitch, and by the GVWR and GCWR of your truck, which may be more or less than your hitch.
__________________
2006 Black Unlimited 6-speed, Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm Kit
MPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
muddmonky
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Posts: 497
well its a 94 chevy 2500 8 lug 6ft bed with a 5.7

all the stickers are gone so i dont know gvwr or gcvwr but im guessing its above 5k lbs.

anyway what i need is a hitch that will pull a lifted xj on a flat top car trailer. not all the time just if i end up breaking it.

the gvwr on my xj is 4900 lbs so im guessing the jeep weights 4k give or take a few hundred

well if it put that jeep on a 1k lb trailer ill break my hitch so i guess i should order the 7500 lb hitch off of 4 wheel parts to be safe.
muddmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
MPond
Web Wheeler
 
MPond's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,363
Your best bet would be to take the jeep & trailer to a scale and have it weighed. If you've got any mods on your XJ (lift, larger wheels & tires, bumpers, winch, etc...) the weight can be significantly higher than the original curb weight or the GVWR.

Also, swapping out the OEM hitch on a '94 GM Silverado 2500 is pretty easy to do, and getting a new Curt class V hitch is not terribly expensive.

And while I use 4WP for many things, there are better places to get a replacement hitch that is higher quality and less expensive, such as eTrailer.com.
__________________
2006 Black Unlimited 6-speed, Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm Kit
MPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 01:55 AM   #6
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,638
Nonsense. A Class 3/4 hitch is a 10,000 lb hitch. There is nothing other than the weight distribution arms of the hitch that increase the serviceability of that hitch. Use it like a 10,000 hitch, throw those arms in the scrap metal bin and learn to balance your rig on the trailer with 400 to 600 pounds tongue weight. Make sure you have the right ball mount so that your ball mount has the same elevation as your trailer when level. Search trailer balance on this forum and stop worrying about it. There is nothing in that ball mount receiver than is any different that any other 10,000 hitch.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
MPond
Web Wheeler
 
MPond's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Nonsense. A Class 3/4 hitch is a 10,000 lb hitch. There is nothing other than the weight distribution arms of the hitch that increase the serviceability of that hitch. Use it like a 10,000 hitch, throw those arms in the scrap metal bin and learn to balance your rig on the trailer with 400 to 600 pounds tongue weight. Make sure you have the right ball mount so that your ball mount has the same elevation as your trailer when level. Search trailer balance on this forum and stop worrying about it. There is nothing in that ball mount receiver than is any different that any other 10,000 hitch.
That is simply not true. The hitch on your 2500 is only rated for 10,000 lbs with the WD hitch included in the equation.

Yes, you can setup your trailer with the right balance, and be just fine going down the highway straight and true without the WD hitch, but that's not the whole story.

Introduce any additional factors such as being hit by another vehicle, swerving to avoid an accident, or any number of scenarios that you can't imagine until they happen, and you could be in trouble. The reason is that forces are applied in emergency situations in different directions than they are normally, and this is where the Weight Distribution hitch comes in. It helps to keep the forces applied in the right directions, and more evenly distributed.

The hitch will likely do just fine pulling your trailer and Jeep without the WD hitch, but apply any unexpected shearing forces without the WD and they can fail very quickly.

What I don't understand is this: why not use a WD hitch or upgrdae your receiver? If you've spent enough to buy a truck, a Jeep, and a trailer, why not spend just a little more (relatively speaking) and get the right hitch setup?

I've yet to see an argument about how the WD hitch can hurt, and most people would agree that they improve the ride, stability, etc...
__________________
2006 Black Unlimited 6-speed, Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm Kit
MPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
That is simply not true. The hitch on your 2500 is only rated for 10,000 lbs with the WD hitch included in the equation.

Yes, you can setup your trailer with the right balance, and be just fine going down the highway straight and true without the WD hitch, but that's not the whole story.

Introduce any additional factors such as being hit by another vehicle, swerving to avoid an accident, or any number of scenarios that you can't imagine until they happen, and you could be in trouble. The reason is that forces are applied in emergency situations in different directions than they are normally, and this is where the Weight Distribution hitch comes in. It helps to keep the forces applied in the right directions, and more evenly distributed.

The hitch will likely do just fine pulling your trailer and Jeep without the WD hitch, but apply any unexpected shearing forces without the WD and they can fail very quickly.

What I don't understand is this: why not use a WD hitch or upgrdae your receiver? If you've spent enough to buy a truck, a Jeep, and a trailer, why not spend just a little more (relatively speaking) and get the right hitch setup?

I've yet to see an argument about how the WD hitch can hurt, and most people would agree that they improve the ride, stability, etc...
First, when you say "most people . . . blah, blah, blah," let's give some perspective to this discussion. I could go to an off road park where every single trailer and rig carrying hundreds of Jeeps weigh in at more than 5000 lb and not find a single weight distribution hitch. Trailering and trailer hitches are one of those things that the warning labels, lawyers, and weenies have caused to be this "scary risk filled activity." Its not. I don't even know anyone that has a weight distribution hitch, I can't even remember seeing one actually in use in the last five years.

And, I don't know anyone that has had a problem related to hitch suitability. I hear a lot of fear, I don't see any problems.

The tow rig at issue here needs no help in the tongue weight department or in the handling department. Why they even offer this product is beyond me. Toss them extra parts in the scrap pile.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
MPond
Web Wheeler
 
MPond's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
...And, I don't know anyone that has had a problem related to hitch suitability. I hear a lot of fear, I don't see any problems.

The tow rig at issue here needs no help in the tongue weight department or in the handling department. Why they even offer this product is beyond me. Toss them extra parts in the scrap pile.
So your arguement is that the problems don't exist because you've never seen them? And that you've seen many people running above their hitch ratings without any problems (without using WD) means that nobody else will? That just doesn't hold water.

The OP's tow rig isn't the issue, his hitch is. His truck has the capacity for a heavier trailer, but his hitch doesn't (without WD). Having had a GM OEM hitch on a 2500 truck fail (the infamous GMT 800 hitches), I have first-hand experience with that. And it wasn't the result of abuse or even being overloaded.

The fact that you don't believe WD hitches are useful is laughable. I've got several trailers, including a 26' enclosed cargo trailer and a 22' toy hauler, and both absolutely need WD to be stable on the highway, whether I'm towing with my 2500 Suburban or my 3500 Silverado Dually, both of which are plenty of truck for either trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
...I don't even know anyone that has a weight distribution hitch, I can't even remember seeing one actually in use in the last five years
Come out to Glamis on a holiday weekend and you'll see thousands of RVs, trucks, and trailers, and 95% of them are using WD hitches. This past Thanksgiving over 190,000 people (all camping in RVs & trailers) went to Glamis to play in the desert. I doubt you know better than all these people...

I'd be comfortable towing my Jeep on a car trailer without WD, but that's because I've upgraded my hitch to a Curt Class V, which is rated for 15K lbs without WD. Towing 6-7k lbs with an OEM hitch that is only rated for 5k (without WD) is just a bad idea.

To the OP: I'd suggest you either upgrade your receiver or use a WD hitch, and ignore the arguments from uninformed posters.
__________________
2006 Black Unlimited 6-speed, Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm Kit
MPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
So your arguement is that the problems don't exist because you've never seen them? And that you've seen many people running above their hitch ratings without any problems (without using WD) means that nobody else will? That just doesn't hold water.

The OP's tow rig isn't the issue, his hitch is. His truck has the capacity for a heavier trailer, but his hitch doesn't (without WD). Having had a GM OEM hitch on a 2500 truck fail (the infamous GMT 800 hitches), I have first-hand experience with that. And it wasn't the result of abuse or even being overloaded.

The fact that you don't believe WD hitches are useful is laughable. I've got several trailers, including a 26' enclosed cargo trailer and a 22' toy hauler, and both absolutely need WD to be stable on the highway, whether I'm towing with my 2500 Suburban or my 3500 Silverado Dually, both of which are plenty of truck for either trailer.


Come out to Glamis on a holiday weekend and you'll see thousands of RVs, trucks, and trailers, and 95% of them are using WD hitches. This past Thanksgiving over 190,000 people (all camping in RVs & trailers) went to Glamis to play in the desert. I doubt you know better than all these people...

I'd be comfortable towing my Jeep on a car trailer without WD, but that's because I've upgraded my hitch to a Curt Class V, which is rated for 15K lbs without WD. Towing 6-7k lbs with an OEM hitch that is only rated for 5k (without WD) is just a bad idea.

To the OP: I'd suggest you either upgrade your receiver or use a WD hitch, and ignore the arguments from uninformed posters.
Oh, now we are talking about toy haulers huh? I thought this was about Jeeps on a trailer. The OP is hauling a single XJ on a trailer. Post some photos from Jeep Forum threads other than a WD hitch thread that shows Jeep Forum members using WD distribution bars on a single Jeep trailer. You won't find a single weenie on here, I bet.

EDIT: Oh WTH, post some photos of a single Jeep on a trailer from Glamis with a WD hitch. I'm calling BS on you so let's see the photos.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406

Last edited by wilson1010; 11-29-2011 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Call BS
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
MPond
Web Wheeler
 
MPond's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Oh, now we are talking about toy haulers huh? I thought this was about Jeeps on a trailer. The OP is hauling a single XJ on a trailer. Post some photos from Jeep Forum threads other than a WD hitch thread that shows Jeep Forum members using WD distribution bars on a single Jeep trailer. You won't find a single weenie on here, I bet.

EDIT: Oh WTH, post some photos of a single Jeep on a trailer from Glamis with a WD hitch. I'm calling BS on you so let's see the photos.
Nice try at misdirection... But I only referenced toy haulers with regard to your comment "Why they even offer this product is beyond me. Toss them extra parts in the scrap pile". There is a very good reason they offer this product, but as you said, it's beyond you.

It's also interesting that you have not responded to any of my statements, and can only take issue with the fact that I mentioned toy haulers.

"Weenie"? So when you can't win an argument with facts you resort to name calling instead? Shows just how ignorant you are on this subject.

Sorry, but I haven't walked around Glamis taking pictures of people's trailer hitches. You can call BS all you want, but it doesn't mean much. However, I can show you this article from Off Road Web, showing the proper safe tie down procedure for a Jeep on a trailer, and if you look at the pictures you'll see WD bars on the trailer's tongue: Click here





And this whole discussion of finding pictures of other JeepForum members who tow a single Jeep on a trailer with or without WD bars is moot because you would have no idea from looking at pictures what the rating is of their receiver, and therefore you'd have no way of knowing if their particular application needed a WD hitch or not.

Then again, just to play devils-advocate, here are some threads where users are using WD hitches to tow their single Jeeps:

JeepForum.com - Scroll to Post #6

Jeeps Unlimited.com

But even with these threads I've linked above there's no way of knowing which rigs need a WD hitch and which do not, just from looking at the pictures. You'd need to know the hitch ratings before you come to any real conclusion.

At any rate, my advise to the OP still stands, since nothing you've said to the contrary holds water. In fact, that's the only reason I continue this debate - I'm trying to provide reliable information to the OP.
__________________
2006 Black Unlimited 6-speed, Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm Kit
MPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,638
Hahaha! That's all you got? A how to article showing "best practices" in trailering by people who are writing the article?
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
MPond
Web Wheeler
 
MPond's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,363
It's more than you've added to this entire thread...
__________________
2006 Black Unlimited 6-speed, Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm Kit
MPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
MPond
Web Wheeler
 
MPond's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,363
To muddmonky:

I apologize for the debate this thread has turned into. I was trying to be as helpful as possible, and to directly answer your questions.

I have considerable experience with towing (have numerous trucks and trailers), and would be happy to answer any additional questions that you have.
__________________
2006 Black Unlimited 6-speed, Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm Kit
MPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #15
SmokinCummins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kingdom City, MO
Posts: 11
The is more than one reason to rate the hitch this way.

First, without WD you have a max rating of 500 tongue weight. keeping the load balanced makes for a trailer that pulls horrible. If your motoring along with a near balanced trailer and have to slam on the brakes and swerve, you will get thrown around - and possibly jacknife. You need proper tongue weight to keep the trailer tracking nice.

Second is the shear issue. Too much tongue weight acts as a lever. This lifts the nose of the vehicle causing poor braking and steering, but also puts strain on the hitch. It can break the hitch from the rear and forward.
SmokinCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.