Help with V6 towing. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Help with V6 towing.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 04-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
LAYochum
2013 WK 

Help with V6 towing.

So I need some help or rather real world experiences. I have a WK2 with the V6. I want to know from those who tow with the same engine I have what you are towing, the weight of what which is towed, and how well it does in real world situations. Any and all info will be appreciated, thanks.

LAYochum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
bbacus
1999 TJ Wrangler 

6cyl Jeep WK Towing

I don't have a WK, but the Ford Explorer 6cyl, is very similar. Both vehicles are very similar in regards to towing. If your rig is set up for towing at the factory you shouldn't have any problem towing trailers which are within the tow rating of the WK. If it doesn't have the factory tow package already on it, then it can be installed. Not sure what is required there, but it may require new shocks, etc. The main advantage of the factory tow package is that it includes an additional transmission cooler for towing purposes.

The Ford Explorer with the 220hp 6cyl., did a good job pulling a 23ft travel trailer....weight approx 3800lbs. You will need an electric brake controller for any trailer over 3000lbs...in most states. Most modern trailers in this category already have the electric brakes installed. Here is a link for electric brake requirements: http://www.towshop.com/trailer_suppl...aking_laws.htm

To make it nicer pulling a trailer at highway speeds, the trailer can be equipped with anti-sway bars and a load leveling hitch is also a nice touch.

Don't know if that answered your question, but I hope it helped. Good luck.

Last edited by bbacus; 04-20-2013 at 09:31 PM..
bbacus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

I just towed a 5x8 enclosed Uhaul trailer (900lb) hauling about 1500lb. So a total of 2400 lbs.

The V6 did just fine hauling it. You can definitely feel the weight and need to brake EARLY but as far as power goes, it had plenty of juice. Cruising on the highway between 2k - 3k RPM around 65mph. It does down shift on the hills to maintain speed.

If you are to use a uhaul trailer, use a minimum of 2.25" drop hitch. Even at this level, its just about an inch or two too high. I have a 2013 Overland.
shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

btw i was getting like 16.3 mpg towing that. I was impressed since I usually get 20mpg on the HWY. 16.3 is what I get in the city
shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
Anschutz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Having a V6 doesn't leave much in the towing department but let's be honest, you didn't get the V6 to haul big loads or you'd have the HEMI or waited until the 14 CRD. That being said a 5000lb towing capacity gives you a lot that can be towed. There's small boats, small campers, motorcycles, and ATVs.
Anschutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.