Harbor Freight Folding Trailer: Modification / Write-up / Review - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Harbor Freight Folding Trailer: Modification / Write-up / Review

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #46
IslandTractor

I had exactly the same problem with alignment at that exact spot. HF's supplier must have had one of their jigs out of true when they made a batch of these trailers. I noted the problem during initial assembly and chose to modify the hole on the frame pivot point near the axle so the pin holes lined up at the pinning spot you are dealing with. However it shouldn't make any real difference whether you correct it at the pin site or back at the pivot point. I just used a round bastard hand file about 3/8 wide as I recall. It only takes about five minutes of filing so long as you can get access to elongate the hole. I'd guess the Makita and file bit would also work so long as you don't make the hole too big.

By the way, I like your use of diamond plate instead of plywood. I used plywood but that requires cutting some bevels to get the trailer to close properly. If I were to do it again I think I'd use the diamond plate too.

IslandTractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #47
Ric-san
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great ides...once I figure out where i placed the pics i have of my HF trailer, I'll post them...drove from San Diego to Pensacola hauling my Harley with no problemos....
Ric-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #48
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the busted photo links, guys. Old hosting service apparently didn't honor their promise to continue supporting the old website system. . . . and some of the build-process photos didn't make a migration to a new computer a couple years ago.

There's no way I can re-create the process photos but I can take some pictures of the salient features of the HF trailer I built and adjust the original post.

It might take me a little while to do that, however.
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #49
2GPS4ME

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Sorry for the busted photo links, guys. Old hosting service apparently didn't honor their promise to continue supporting the old website system. . . . and some of the build-process photos didn't make a migration to a new computer a couple years ago.

There's no way I can re-create the process photos but I can take some pictures of the salient features of the HF trailer I built and adjust the original post.

It might take me a little while to do that, however.
Anything you can do would be awesome. These trailers are a good deal, especially if you find one in good used condition (cheap - I did).

WJ (WIFE JEEP) PROJECT COMING SOON
2GPS4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #50
jmejiaa

Just sent the OP a PM... This was a great write up, too bad we don't have the pics anymore

Anyway, I am very interested in you folding system as the bolts are a pain to get to!
jmejiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #51
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Alrighty. . . after MANY PM's asking about the broken links I've finally fixed them.

I lost some of the original pictures but was able to recreate some of them by modeling the trailer frame in 3D. Other images I found on another website I'd never heard of that had commandeered them for their own write-up.

In any case, I re-edited the photo links as well as touched up and added some notes to the text of the write-up to correct references to the images used.

Hope this helps.
Unread 04-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #52
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Nice job Jay! Thanks for adding the pics!
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #53
IslandTractor

Thanks for going to the trouble to add back the photos and diagrams. That is a great service and makes your valuable post even better.
IslandTractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 07:46 AM   #54
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just bought one of these trailers used for really cheap. Had no idea what I was buying. I just needed to haul some dry wall and I no longer have a pick up. I think this will work for that a few times.

It seems like a decent trailer for the money. I already had some mod plans in mind.

Thanks for the thread, seems like some great info.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #55
engineering

Paint Color

Jay,

Enjoyed your detail and creative solutions to the HF trailer. I am making some modifications myself and would like to know the brand/color for the paint that looks like a good match on your pictures.

thanks for taking the time for putting this together.

Jack
engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #56
Mickey5

Just ran across this thread while looking for seals for the HF trailer (bearings took a crap). And I remember running across it when I first got the trailer and was looking for a way to eliminate having to remove nuts and bolts to fold it up each time. This was not my first choice in trailers but since I couldn't find a USA made one and I needed it right away I bought the HF one. 2001 TJ Wrangler, thanks for the great write up an pictures.

I did mine a little differently and see people are still looking for ideas so I thought I'd share the way I did it. Excuse the appearance of the welds, all I had was a low amperage suitcase welder, I did whack the the plates I welded in with a sledge hammer and they aren't going anywhere. Hopefully with the pictures it's self explanatory.

I am now using this style hitch pin so it would be easier to remove and one less piece to lose.

Mickey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #57
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Alrighty. . . after MANY PM's asking about the broken links I've finally fixed them.

I lost some of the original pictures but was able to recreate some of them by modeling the trailer frame in 3D. Other images I found on another website I'd never heard of that had commandeered them for their own write-up.

In any case, I re-edited the photo links as well as touched up and added some notes to the text of the write-up to correct references to the images used.

Hope this helps.

Best write- up on the entire forum!

Thnx!
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #58
Sprinter
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCeS OuT View Post
Make sure if you use this trailer you MUST get new 2000lbs hubs from Northern Tool. They cost about $40 for the pair. The hubs that come with the trailer are garbage and I have seen them break numerous times.
I'm just finishing putting mine together and ran into this thread. It's the best such thread on the net.

Will the above hubs increase the capacity? Or, what is the weak link in the load capacity and what is the best bet for increasing it?

Just to put in my 2c worth, I'm going to mount the wheel well with the bolt head on the inside and the nylon nut on the outside. This should improve the clearance a bit (at the expense of looks).

Also, the paint is pretty poor quality and doesn't appear to be primed so I painted the rails with Rustoleum "automotive" rattle can paint "Cherry" red. Close match and more durable. One can does it. Hint: Do it before assembly with the panels together! Also painted the black parts. I had one of these about 15 years ago and it started rusting pretty quickly, but only where the thin paint had scraped or dinged.

Last edited by Sprinter; 10-09-2011 at 11:47 PM..
Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #59
Sprinter
2007 WK 

I found this link to weight/cu.ft. of all kinds of materials (in case you may want to haul some borax or chocolate powder or something). But it includes actual useful products as well, like bark dust, sand, etc. I like that it's in cu. ft. rather than yards to avoid that awful annoyance of having to divide by 27! With this you can determine the highest panel you'll ever need for loose material and avoid overloads, which is a bad thing to do. tsk tsk.
http://www.reade.com/Particle_Briefings/spec_gra2.html
Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #60
1coopgt
2005 KJ Liberty 

My Harbor Freight Trailer loaded up last fall.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...722633_n-1.jpg

Part of the reason I bought the Jeep . Better for towing the bike .
1coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.