Guidance with towing with Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Guidance with towing with Grand Cherokee

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
Blueslp7

Guidance with towing with Grand Cherokee

Hello,

I'm curious about towing with my parents 05 Grand Cherokee.

I'm taking my 00 mustang to the track next weekend and my dad wants to go watch. So we figured we'd tow it with his jeep. I've seen that the curb weight of my Mustang is a little <3800 but I will try to weigh it at a scale to be sure. The trailer I want to use is the auto transport here

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=AT

The site shows the empty weight is 2,210 lbs. which would put the combined weight at 6,010 correct?

My Dad's Jeep is 5.7 limited and according to the manual the towing capacity is 7,200.

This should be sufficient correct? Please let me know if there additional info you need. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read/reply.

Blueslp7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

The UHaul you linked to has surge brakes, so you should be ok.

The other thing you should check is the rating on your hitch - that can be different than the Jeep's towing capacity.

Edit: Does your Jeep's manual say anything about using Weight Distribution or Sway Control over a certain weight?
Unread 11-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueslp7 View Post
Hello,

I'm curious about towing with my parents 05 Grand Cherokee.

I'm taking my 00 mustang to the track next weekend and my dad wants to go watch. So we figured we'd tow it with his jeep. I've seen that the curb weight of my Mustang is a little <3800 but I will try to weigh it at a scale to be sure. The trailer I want to use is the auto transport here

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=AT

The site shows the empty weight is 2,210 lbs. which would put the combined weight at 6,010 correct?

My Dad's Jeep is 5.7 limited and according to the manual the towing capacity is 7,200.
This should be sufficient correct? Please let me know if there additional info you need. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read/reply.
If it has the factory tow package as opposed to just adding a hitch. It may also say something like when properly equipped or with additional equipment which may mean you need to use an equalizer or weight distributing hitch. It may also mention using some sort of sway control device.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Blueslp7

From the manual

"Always load a trailer with 60% of the cargo weight in the front of the trailer. This places approximately 10% to 15% of the GTW on the tow hitch of your vehicle. This portion of the GTW becomes the tongue weight.

Trailer sway control and equalizing hitch are required for tongue weights above 350 lbs (159 kg)., i.e., trailer weights heavier than 3,500 lbs (1 587kg)."

The hitch looks to be factory there's no marking except for 2090382AB on the back side of it. The harness on the hitch also has the Chrysler emblem on it.
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...Trailer sway control and equalizing hitch are required for tongue weights above 350 lbs (159 kg)., i.e., trailer weights heavier than 3,500 lbs (1 587kg)."...
That's the key right there... Your manual is stating that you need to use both sway control and a Weight Distributing Hitch since the the Mustang and Trailer combined will be 6,000+ lbs, well over the 3,500 lb limit.
Unread 11-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Blueslp7

Yeah I'm gonna have to figure something else out. I can't justify spending that much for something that'll only get used once. Thanks for both your input!
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
porrsher
1994 ZJ 

You could always use a tow dolly. Just remember to remove the drive shaft from the pony and you will be good to go. Because you are able to move the tow car back and forth in the trailer thereby adjusting the tongue weight. No different than sliding the rear wheels off an 18 wheeler trailer to adjust the tongue weight. Of course permitting you have enough room on the trailer to adjust.

Or tow dolly. Way easier.

Sent from my Raul iPhone using JeepForum
161k Bone Stock
2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited (Love it!)
porrsher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
MiniTubbedNova
1996 ZJ 

I tow my 3100 pound nova on my 2090 pound trailer all the time, does fine, load properly, make sure your brakes on trailer are working and take your time.

Load not secured in picture yet
IRO 4.5" - 33" MT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by -n8man1068
Jeeps don't get stuck. They just take a nap when they're tired of being awesome.
MiniTubbedNova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniTubbedNova View Post
I tow my 3100 pound nova on my 2090 pound trailer all the time, does fine, load properly, make sure your brakes on trailer are working and take your time.

Load not secured in picture yet
Nice looking Nova. Wish that was in my driveway!
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
hydrilla
2003 WJ 

I recently towed a complete parts WJ close to 200 miles back to my house with my wife's bone stock 2003 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4, class III hitch and a U-Haul car hauler, and we managed ok. Accelerating, stopping and handling were no problem, I'm just glad it was flat terrain, because the trailer tongue was uncomfortably close to the ground. The rear suspension squatted a little bit but not bad, it's just a really beefy trailer. I think if you use common sense and take it easy, you'll be ok.
hydrilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #11
JKolbfleisch

Quote:
I'm taking my 00 mustang to the track next weekend and my dad wants to go watch. So we figured we'd tow it with his jeep. I've seen that the curb weight of my Mustang is a little <3800 but I will try to weigh it at a scale to be sure.
I have an '01 Mustang GT that weighed only 3180lbs with NO weight reduction. So you're easily under the limit.
JKolbfleisch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
LouC
2007 WK 

If you need help with load leveling, you can use air bags in the rear coils, many WD hitches don't work with surge brakes, there are some that do, but most do not, because the chains restrict the ability of the coupler to move to apply and release the brakes. The WK stock suspension is very soft so you need some way of coping with the tongue weight which in that case can be from 500-600 lbs which will cause a lot of sag.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.