Greg's M101 CDN2 1/4 Ton Build "The Resale Red Offroad Trailer Build" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Greg's M101 CDN2 1/4 Ton Build "The Resale Red Offroad Trailer Build"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #16
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietVet67 View Post
You lost me at : "Wood from Russia"" sorry --looks nice tho!!
Supposed to be better quality than the North American stuff. 100% certified void free, water "proof" and can be used for aircraft manufacture.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #17
supbrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
Here is my "project" so far...

After looking for one for months, I finally found one in Vancouver BC. Actually, it found me! I posted an add on CL in Van, and a guy who was "thinking" about selling his sent me an e-mail and said I could have it if I was interested? Wow, after a year of looking for the right one...I was stoked.

SUPER nice guy, loved this little trailer too. You could tell he didn't really want to sell it, but it was taking up space at his shop, and was replaced by a MUCH larger trailer to haul their new quads. Still, I think he was a little teary when I pulled out of the parking lot. lol Anyhow, here it is when I picked it up, 1992 M101 CDN2 1/4 Ton trailer, Canadian Military Spec.

You can see his new trailer in the rear. Paid $1200 for it, more than I wanted to spend, but hey...when opportunity comes a knocking, you better answer right? When I picked it up it was wearing a set of 215 x 85 x 16" E Load rated Cooper ATR's on it, brand new! He was using it to get to the cabin, some 500 miles away...and wanted nice road tires with some grip.

Coopers

Also came with the stock Michelin X military spec rubber.

I really wanted to get it to match my XJ, so I picked up a set of drums with the 5 on 4.5 bolt spacing, and proceeded to pop them on. In the process discovered that my brakes were also brand new!

Brakes (yay)

new drums (princess auto SKU number 8211716 if you want some)

NEW shoes (new to me tires on new Soft 8 rims)

Installed!

Also just installed a 1500# swivel wheel for the front to augment the footy... very nice add on

<pic coming>

More build to come. Next steps are Monsta liner for the tub, Chassis Saver for the frame, axle, running gear. Nice matching red industrial enamel and chassis saver on the frame. A couple of Gerry Can holders and a lid! Oh and a 2" receiver hitch to mount my bike rack.

Stay tuned...more to come.
thats badass.
supbrah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #18
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man.

Here it is last weekend, first time back on the road in a few weeks.

Hoping to get the RTT mounted tomorrow night!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #19
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Your trailer looks great in paint.

I was wondering how you were attaching the RTT to the lid? Are you using cross bars or is it going to be mounted directly to the lid? I am getting close to this point of my build. Just looking for a few ideas on what works best.

Also, did the gas shocks work out on the lid and tents weight? I stuck my lid Skelton on the scale today. Wow! It's gonna be heavier then I thought.

FIX IT TILL it's broke
hesterj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #20
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey man,
I am attaching the RTT directly to the lid. I was going to go the crossbar route, but the Thule bars, feet and rails were going to be $350.00 ish, and really are not needed.

The guy I got the tent from and who made the lid for me (Mike at Trekken Offroad) said we would be better off mounting it to the lid directly. Going to make aluminum backing plates for top and underside, then bolt through with some stainless hardware.

Lower center of gravity, more solidly mounted and way cheaper!

win x 3

The gas struts, that is another project on the to-do list. I am still in the slow process of mounting my lid. Brackets are ready to attach permanently, I am just tweaking the install of the hinges and latches. Need to drill a LOT of holes in the steel brackets and hand drilling sux. Picking up a drill press today (used Craftsman for $40.00 in new unused condition).

Pics ASAP.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 09-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #21
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So I managed to get some more work done today. The lid is finally mounted...as in permanently. I had to do some extra curricular activities to get it all locked down, but it is very solid. With the new "P" seal installed it is nearly airtight! Might need to install a vent!

I mounted the lid, sorted out and adjusted the latches, and figured out a safety catch for them as well. I installed the lid seal, I also worked on a plan to mount the Dee Zee tongue box. The steel one I got is just too heavy and is bigger than I need...so after all that is it going back up for sale.

Dee Zee

Latches/Hinges/a LOT of stainless

I also picked up a pair of Plano lockable, stackable sealed boxes. I love the design, they have integrated tie downs and 4 latches. $19.00 at Wally World. Hate that place, but they are way cheap.

Fit like a glove!

Tent tomorrow? Probably not... this week.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 09-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #22
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've admired your set-up for a while now. Very nice!

I could swear I saw you driving through a little town in Mendocino County, Northern California a couple days ago. The rig was an EXACT match for yours. I almost sprained my neck doing a double-take.

On a different note, you said the Plano trunks came from Wally World (Wal-Mart, right?). Those would fit perfect into what I have planned. I can't find those things anywhere in my local Wal-Mart store, or on their web site. I can find them elsewhere on the web, but at least twice as much and climbing from there. Got a link?
Unread 09-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #23
Roobicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
On a different note, you said the Plano trunks came from Wally World (Wal-Mart, right?). Those would fit perfect into what I have planned. I can't find those things anywhere in my local Wal-Mart store, or on their web site. I can find them elsewhere on the web, but at least twice as much and climbing from there. Got a link?
I found em on the Bass Pro Shop website.

http://www.basspro.com/Plano-Camo-Sp...SSSELL_PRODUCT
Unread 09-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #24
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
I've admired your set-up for a while now. Very nice!

I could swear I saw you driving through a little town in Mendocino County, Northern California a couple days ago. The rig was an EXACT match for yours. I almost sprained my neck doing a double-take.

Heh... wasn't me in Mendocino man, I wish it was, I could use a vacation. I have seen a few like mine out there, none quite as nice however.

Yeah, I picked these up at my local Wal Mart. The last time I was there they had a stack of them, but I wasn't really looking for any. This time they had just the 2 large ones I picked up and a stack of the smaller ones. No link...grabbed them off the shelf for $19.99 each. Good deal.

I saw the Camo ones online somewhere too... but wow, 2 x the price. I would use the product code in the photo above and call the local store. I bet they can order them in?

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #25
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I managed to get a bit more done today...so close to being done.

Today I managed to get the front leveling supports installed. Mike welded the bungs to some plate and I cleaned them up, mounted them and painted them. Worked out fantastic, nice and solid and no more rocking trailer. Just need to get the rear fold down pair extended and installed. I painted them black to match the trailer frame...but forgot to take a finished pic?

Then I set up the trailer to show the wife and more importantly...the kids!

Kid Approved!! Wife likes it as well, fits all 4 of us. I then installed the last lid attachment for the time being...the lock.

Fugly (Functional-Ugly)... and secure. Back plate and BIG bolts, you would be hard pressed to get that off. I then worked on the tongue box, and added a plywood floor. To add support for the group 24 deep cycle battery. I picked up a battery box too, so next steps are wiring related and of course, lights! I figure 5-7 hours of wiring and I am DONE phase 1. 1000 Watt inverter, 4 LED lights for external lighting, internal box lighting and some LET tent lighting with a dimmer. SCHWEET!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 10-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #26
Jbonezz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great build!
Jbonezz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #27
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man... it has been a lot of work, but fun!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 03-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #28
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Minor updates...

Plans in the works for a kitchen, and a water system with on demand HW. I am pretty sure that I will have it in time for a WABDR trip planned...stoked. Also, I finally got my matching Jeep center caps on the trailer. Had to do some minor mods with the hole saw, but it worked well.

First work of 2013

Wheels off, caps prepped, sprayed matching silver

Holes cut, caps installed

I also repainted my Scepter Gas Cans... olive drab to match the new caps I installed.

Making provisions to mount 2 on the trailer and one on the XJ. Mods coming to the Detours USA Tailbone for strength and accessories!!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #29
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

this is so fn cool

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #30
harleyhouse

Looking awesome!
harleyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.