Greasing trailer wheels - How much? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Greasing trailer wheels - How much?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 10-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Greasing trailer wheels - How much?

Replaced both wheel bearings and seals.
Have read that you want wheel full of grease between the two bearings.
Anyway to tell when full without blowing out the seal?

Have read grease till grease squeezes out around axle locking nut.
Does this work without pushing seal out.... or is there a better way?
I don't have bearing buddies....have read mixed reports on these.

RJ

RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
bobjp

I have only ever packed the bearings individually and then put them on the spindle. I would not fill the space between the 2.
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

IMO
Gobbling the more the better. Remember that centrifugal force will move grease away from the center. The more that is there, the better.

Typically, after packing the back bearing, and dropping it in the race, I put more behind the bearing all the way around, and then the outside where the seal sits, then install the seal. On the outside bearing, gob as much as you can before putting in the outside bearing.

I have the same mixed feeling about buddy bearings, and have mix success. It is probably better for boat trailers where the axle is submerged.

I have never pushed a seal out, and the spring on the inside of the seal keeps it tight against the axle.

Also, I used some premium priced environmental grease from Tractor Supply (its sold other places too). It was bad. Burned up two bearing sets and hubs before figuring it out, then cleaning it out of everything and went back with a quality high temp, high speed grease. Synthetic is good, but stay with a quality company like Mystic. Personally I like a colored grease (not black) so I can see how it performing. If it keeps it color, it is good.

When you are broke down on the side of the road, its time you could be jeepin.

Hope my opining helps

Ride Hard, Tread Lightly
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pack as much as you can while the cap is off and then full the void through the zerk. Every few thousand miles, give it about ten pumps through the zerk.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.