Grand Cherokee Towing - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By smccollamjr
  • 1 Post By Derosacamp

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-15-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Derosacamp

Grand Cherokee Towing

I recently purchased a 2014 Grand Cherokee and had the dealer install a trailer hitch with the understanding that it was rated to tow 6200 lbs. When I read the owners manual, it stated that unless the hitch was installed by the factory, it is rated to tow only 3500 lbs. The dealer is in the process of researching this and states that he either installs a larger radiator and/or a transmission cooler it will be able to tow 6200 lbs. The dealer will be upgrading the rear shocks as well. Has anyone had any experience with this.
Peter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-15-2017, 08:48 PM
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No experience with your specific situation, but gear ratio comes into play with towing capacity along with the items you mentioned, and a transmission cooler is always a good idea. Personally, unless you and the person at the dealer are close personal friends I wouldn't trust him/her. Most are out to make a buck and will install anything you're willing to pay for. I'd keep searching until you find an answer independent of what they tell you.
Ross likes this.

<><
'00 TJ/4.0/NV3550/D30(Aussie)/D44(LSD)/3.73s/1"MML/1.25"BL/OME Springs/UCF TT/33s
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-16-2017, 09:03 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derosacamp View Post
I recently purchased a 2014 Grand Cherokee and had the dealer install a trailer hitch with the understanding that it was rated to tow 6200 lbs. When I read the owners manual, it stated that unless the hitch was installed by the factory, it is rated to tow only 3500 lbs. The dealer is in the process of researching this and states that he either installs a larger radiator and/or a transmission cooler it will be able to tow 6200 lbs. The dealer will be upgrading the rear shocks as well. Has anyone had any experience with this.
Peter
I wouldn't buy it. If you want a Grand that tows 6200lbs buy one, don't have the dealer try to make you one.

01 TJ,33X12.5Flaken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd

post #4 of 8 Old 02-16-2017, 11:00 PM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

What are you trying to tow? Also, do you have any assets that you'd worry about losing in a lawsuit?

The things that go into a tow rating include a lot more than I can think of, because I'm not a vehicle design engineer. Off the top of my head: brakes, suspension, stability control software, gear ratio, cooling, and stuff I haven't thought of. Do you know there's a software algorithm that is monitoring your brake system temperature to make sure the stability and traction control don't overheat it by using assumptions developed during testing? Sometimes there's weird things they found during testing, like a backing plate here and there is needed so you can't crack a suspension mount when you hit a pothole while braking under load. That might explain why they say it has to be installed at the factory, instead of just saying "unless you have a transmission cooler and the larger radiator".

Every time I talk to somebody about what they can tow, they always talk about their engine. Here's a fun fact: my hemi has 5 horsepower less than my uncle's 80,000 pound rated semi. I still won't exceed my tow rating.

It's rare, but it seems that in recent years insurance companies are starting to figure out they don't have to cover an accident if you're doing something your rig isn't rated for. I also think police are starting to check ratings after a fatal accident. You might get charged with manslaughter, even if the other vehicle caused the crash (say, pulled out in front of you). It would be up to the prosecutor.

To that end, what your manual says is all you'll be rated for. If it says "installed at the factory", then having something installed at the dealer won't count. If it were me, I'd buy something designed and built to tow what I need. If that's not possible, ask the dealer if they would provide an official looking statement that your new tow rating would be 6200. Then, I would ask my insurance company and ask the state if they would accept such a statement and get that answer in writing. My first guess is the dealer will crap when you ask them to certify a higher tow rating, and the state won't take it. That would tell you something.

I'm sure there are people who will point out they've towed 10,000 pounds at 80mph, with a hitch they bolted to the plastic bumper, and had no trouble at all. Well, you can drive for years and never have to do a panic stop, or have to swerve into the other lane suddenly. As long as that doesn't happen, having your vehicle loaded beyond anything the factory tested isn't a problem (except liability wise).

07 WK 5.7 QD2, 4" lift, 33X10" tires, M8000s
ARB twin air,Dual AGM group 49, sliders and skids
post #5 of 8 Old 02-17-2017, 06:17 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Even if it is factory rated and designed to tow the weight it may day when properly equipped which could means an equalizer hitch or may sway bars.

post #6 of 8 Old 02-17-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Derosacamp

Thanks for the input, I plan on towing boats in the future, say 3-5,000 lbs. Right now just towing a utility trailer to the dump. I like the idea of having the dealer certify that it is rated to tow 62000lbs. I am more concerned about voiding the warranty than I am about liabiliy. I have towed quite a bit including a camp trailer behind my old '96 Cherokee. Lots of good information in this forum.
azzkicker likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-21-2017, 04:48 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you are planning on towing often I would look at a vehicle with a frame, not a uni body. I went from a 2001 grand to a 2004 4Runner and it was night and day. My grand was older and there may have been improvements but it was terrible towing even a 3500 camper even thought it was rated for 5k.

post #8 of 8 Old 03-13-2017, 09:45 AM
Jambalam
2007 WK 

Hello!
I recently purchased a 2007 Grand Cherokee Limited CRD. It came with all the upgrades I wanted, except the tow package. From what I can tell this would have included an upgraded/additional transmission cooler and a button on the dash that'll change the shifting characteristics of the transmission for better towing.
1. Is there anything else that would've been added with the factory tow package? (I have a factory installed hitch with wiring connections)
2. Can these features be added?
3. Does anyone have a WK with factory tow package installed able to verify?
Thanks All!

2007 Grand Cherokee Limited CRD, Denver,CO. Member since Jan. 2017.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.