Got the monster tow rig/RV project - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Got the monster tow rig/RV project

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
nitecop
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,826
Got the monster tow rig/RV project

found a deal I couldn't pass up. I'm sure most people here remember the
26 foot U-Haul truck converted to "Krawler hauler" by one of the memebers here. Well I plan to build someingthing like that.
I found a 94 F-700 with a 5.9 Cummins/6 spd trans cab and chassis teuck for a good price. Its quite a bit heavier than I had planned but this way the brakes and driveline will really last a while. (It never hurts to have more brakes then you need)
The good : 12V BT 190HP 5.9 Cummins , 6 speed Eaton/fuller trans, Starts good cold. Engine is smooth running, White paint easy to touch up, Vent windows
The Really good : HD suspension and brakes. It has a double frame!!
The Not real bad is that Its NOT equipped with A/C, It does have vent windows For your highway comfort

Without it being an RV it requires a CDL with air brake endorsment. GVW is 32,700. 15 feet of frame from cab to end.

I'm thinking if it was a box truck and had living quarters with a toilet and beds, sink and such it becomes and RV. If is was built right you could haul a TJ in the back.
And or you could tow almost any size trailer you want with it.

I'm currently looking for a 24 foot U-Haul box to install on it. I'll have to cut 4 feet of it behind the cab so it will fit.
(U-Haul 24 foot boxes have a 20 foot floor.)

__________________
Jim
USW, OAPSE Union member
99 TJ Sahara 4.0 5-Sp FUV + farm worker
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,765
When you register it, just lower the GVW to 25500 you wont need a cdl.


Do you really want to live in a truck box? I don't think a box makes a very good RV. I would make it a dedicated tow rig by putting ramps on that chassis and dove tailing them down in the back. Or, flip up ramps which is what I did. I also installed an Eaton air bag axle to lower a foot or so for loading.

If you really want to have your rig serve as sleeping quarters, you can buy a sleeper box which will go right on that chassis although you will have to figure out how to get in there. And it will take up a lot of room on your rig.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
nitecop
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
When you register it, just lower the GVW to 25500 you wont need a cdl.


Do you really want to live in a truck box? I don't think a box makes a very good RV.....

Sure why not?? much better than a tent. And it is very secure compared to a tent when ones out wheeling also.
I don't need carpet, a microwave,..... and all those other comforts.
And it has full on air brakes unless its a firetruck, or RV a CDL is required.
__________________
Jim
USW, OAPSE Union member
99 TJ Sahara 4.0 5-Sp FUV + farm worker
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecop View Post
And it has full on air brakes unless its a firetruck, or RV a CDL is required.
No so.

If its registered under 26000 and not for commercial use, you do not need a CDL for full air. If you had a CDL for a van or what not and you wanted to drive a rig with air brakes, you have to take the test and get an endorsement. That's what cornfuses people.

And, if a rig is 26000 or over then it can't be registered as a non commercial vehicle unless it has a toilet, blah, blah, blah.

So, like I said, register it for 25500 and you're good to go.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
Hotshot
Web Wheeler
 
Hotshot's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phelan, CA
Posts: 6,639
I like the idea of building a camper hauler rig out of a bobtail truck. It's done all the time and if the box is done up right it can make a very comfortable living space. Be sure to post of some pic's of your build.
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
Hotshot
Web Wheeler
 
Hotshot's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Phelan, CA
Posts: 6,639
You should be able to find a truck Box in most major cities. Just call some truck body / upfit shops. I picked up a really nice 26' box for $1250.00. I just purchased mine to use ot for storage.
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
nitecop
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,826
I found out today what you have to PERMANTLY install and/or attached on a vehicle to get RV plates.
Of course there is and inspection with the State Highway Patrol.

Bed
table with seating
Range top or oven
ice box or refrigerator

Of course I could make the range unfold from the side like many units
Or just get a bigger inverter and a microwave.

Would you belive I was told people have used a cooler as a "Ice box" ?
I'll probibly just get a small fridge.
Bed will hinge off wall unless I get a U-haul box which has the box over the cab.
Table is the simplest of all, folding table and chiars should fix that.



I'm still searching for a truck box
__________________
Jim
USW, OAPSE Union member
99 TJ Sahara 4.0 5-Sp FUV + farm worker
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,765
I don't know why you are wasting effort trying to qualify that rig as an RV. You will never have anything close to 26000 pounds so register it under the CDL rate as the truck it actually is.

I think you are just asking for trouble. Suppose you do get the Highway Patrol to approve your toilet, etc. and you get in a serious accident. I guaranty that the insurance company that thinks they have insured a real RV is going to be looking for tall grass when they see you have a box truck with a Jeep in the back. Or some attorney who represents a seriously injured person sees an accident with a 32000 GVWR vehicle without a CDL driver behind the wheel.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
nitecop
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I don't know why you are wasting effort trying to qualify that rig as an RV. You will never have anything close to 26000 pounds so register it under the CDL rate as the truck it actually is.

I think you are just asking for trouble. Suppose you do get the Highway Patrol to approve your toilet, etc. and you get in a serious accident. I guaranty that the insurance company that thinks they have insured a real RV is going to be looking for tall grass when they see you have a box truck with a Jeep in the back. Or some attorney who represents a seriously injured person sees an accident with a 32000 GVWR vehicle without a CDL driver behind the wheel.
This is no different than converting a school bus for the same purpose.
First if you had read my last post you will see a toilet is NOT required.
Did you know that the biggest RVs "Class A motorhome" I think they call them have air brakes and a much higher GVW then 33K. Those do NOT require a special license to operate either.

You can't just pick a license plates under the 26k when the vehicle has a GVW above 26k that is also one of the things that makes it a CDL required vehicle.

Yes I think a UPS truck would be ideal but we all know how anal UPS is about thier trucks.
__________________
Jim
USW, OAPSE Union member
99 TJ Sahara 4.0 5-Sp FUV + farm worker
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecop View Post
This is no different than converting a school bus for the same purpose.
First if you had read my last post you will see a toilet is NOT required.
Did you know that the biggest RVs "Class A motorhome" I think they call them have air brakes and a much higher GVW then 33K. Those do NOT require a special license to operate either.

You can't just pick a license plates under the 26k when the vehicle has a GVW above 26k that is also one of the things that makes it a CDL required vehicle.

Yes I think a UPS truck would be ideal but we all know how anal UPS is about thier trucks.
You are just wrong about this, but I am tired of teaching this lesson.

Good luck.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecop View Post
This is no different than converting a school bus for the same purpose.
First if you had read my last post you will see a toilet is NOT required.
Did you know that the biggest RVs "Class A motorhome" I think they call them have air brakes and a much higher GVW then 33K. Those do NOT require a special license to operate either.

You can't just pick a license plates under the 26k when the vehicle has a GVW above 26k that is also one of the things that makes it a CDL required vehicle.

Yes I think a UPS truck would be ideal but we all know how anal UPS is about thier trucks.
You are just wrong about this, but I am tired of teaching this lesson.

Good luck.

Ps, I was having a little sarcasm about the toilet. I can read. I can also read the DOT rules, which you should try if you don't want to take the advice of others.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
nitecop
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
You are just wrong about this, but I am tired of teaching this lesson.

Good luck.
I Have been in the business of law enforcment not all that long ago. operators license requiremnts have not changed for those above 21 in ohio since that time. I have checked on it.

So what new info do you have on this? please tell me.
__________________
Jim
USW, OAPSE Union member
99 TJ Sahara 4.0 5-Sp FUV + farm worker
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 03:34 AM   #13
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecop View Post
I Have been in the business of law enforcment not all that long ago. operators license requiremnts have not changed for those above 21 in ohio since that time. I have checked on it.

So what new info do you have on this? please tell me.
When a rig is modified as yours will be there is no telling what the GVWR should be. You could change the axles, brakes, modify the frame (which you will) or any of the other components that goes into a manufacturers determination of GVWR. I don't even know what all goes into that determination and I doubt you do either. The State of Ohio anticipates this and allows you to state the GVRW like I told you in my first post on this topic:

Here is where you will find the authority:


§ 4506.011. Use of actual gross weight in lieu of rating

For purposes of this chapter, the actual gross weight of a vehicle or combination of vehicles may be used in lieu of a gross vehicle weight rating to determine whether a vehicle or combination of vehicles qualifies as a commercial motor vehicle if the gross vehicle weight rating specified by the manufacturer for the vehicle or combination of vehicles is not determinable, or if the manufacturer of the vehicle has not specified a gross vehicle weight rating.

As a practical matter, the registrar asks you the GVWR and you tell her and she puts it down on the registration and you pay the fee for that GVWR. End of story.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #14
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Santa Maria
Posts: 1,578
You might want to go recheck your states laws on using a commercial vehicle for a noncommercial application. I know in california we have different classes of licenses based on what you drive. Just from a quick google search for ohio rules this is from the ohio BMV.

Nonbusiness Commercial Motor Vehicle [ - ]

* A commercial motor vehicle that is operated for nonbusiness purposes. "Operated for nonbusiness purposes" means that the commercial motor vehicle is not used in commerce as "commerce" is defined in 48 C.F.R. 383.5 as amended, and is not regulated by the public utilities commission pursuant to Chapter 4919., 4821., or 4923.,of the Ohio Revised Code.

Your best bet is to call the BMV and explain to them exactly what you want to do. But I do agree with wilson about the fact a box truck makes a horrible RV but you can make them decent with some money being tossed at them but they will never be a RV.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #15
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858 View Post
You might want to go recheck your states laws on using a commercial vehicle for a noncommercial application. I know in california we have different classes of licenses based on what you drive. Just from a quick google search for ohio rules this is from the ohio BMV.

Nonbusiness Commercial Motor Vehicle [ - ]

* A commercial motor vehicle that is operated for nonbusiness purposes. "Operated for nonbusiness purposes" means that the commercial motor vehicle is not used in commerce as "commerce" is defined in 48 C.F.R. 383.5 as amended, and is not regulated by the public utilities commission pursuant to Chapter 4919., 4821., or 4923.,of the Ohio Revised Code.

Your best bet is to call the BMV and explain to them exactly what you want to do. But I do agree with wilson about the fact a box truck makes a horrible RV but you can make them decent with some money being tossed at them but they will never be a RV.
Hehe. Making an already confusing situation hopeless.

The PUCO is not really in the mix here. There is the US DOT and the Ohio BMV. US DOT requires a CDL for a commercial vehicle over 26000 GVWR. The Ohio BMV licenses vehicles to operate at a particular weight rating. If its over 26000 then a CDL is needed. DO they make an exception for an RV, yes they do. But, if you make a cow look like a horse on paper just be sure no one puts him in the starting gate because when it comes up a cow comes wandering out and everyone sees it was all a fraud. If you license a ordinary box truck over 26000 GVWR as an RV because it has a table and a frig inside and something bad happens, it will look like a really bad idea. Say nothing about what a bad idea it is in the first place to have a box truck with a Jeep in it be your living quarters.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.