Good Ford forum or sources of info? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Good Ford forum or sources of info?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
BrandonRay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good Ford forum or sources of info?

I just got a 1986 F250 with a 7.3 Powerstroke installed. This is my first diesel, and was just wondering if anyone new of a good forum or any place to get some good info on the truck. This forum has been invaluable in helping me with my Jeep, so hopefully there is something out there similar geared towards Ford's or diesel's in general.

I know I need to put in a steering box already, so a source for write-ups would be great. Thanks!

BrandonRay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Www.powerstroke.org
Www.powerstrokenation.com

Sent from my iPhone while I shouldn't be on my iPhone.
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
Nuthin
Curses! Foiled again!!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hit up FTE for Ford trucks. http://www.ford-trucks.com/
--You're doing it wrong. - Cause --I don't care. At least I'm doing it. - AKABOB
"The minute you hear ‘freedom’ and ‘democracy’, watch out…because in a truly free nation, no one has to tell you you’re free.” Jacque Fresco

Tread Lightly - Stay the Trail
Wardrobe by Levi, makeup by Chance, hairstyle by Wrangler
Nuthin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
BrandonRay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you greenmachine and nuthin... I'm finding some good stuff on both those sites!
Unread 11-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Those first 2 are the best sources of info for ford diesels. FTE is great for everything ford.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 05:12 AM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think the best Ford diesel forum is thedieselstop.com/forums/
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
adeso
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I used the ford-trucks forum a lot when I had my 6.0 powerchoke, great website
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
adeso
1998 XJ Cherokee 

And congrats on the 7.3, it may not put up the numbers as the new stuff, but they do great on fuel mileage and are tough /run forever, you will like it!
Unread 12-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
bentring
1976 CJ5 

I've lurked (member as same name, just rarely post) a ton on all the sites listed, and I would recommend FTE for the most helpful concerning the older IDI diesels, which is what I have (93 F250 7.3).

Also, I'm curious. Has your truck had an engine swap because I'm fairly sure the 7.3 liter powerstroke wasn't an option in '86.
bentring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
BrandonRay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentring View Post
I've lurked (member as same name, just rarely post) a ton on all the sites listed, and I would recommend FTE for the most helpful concerning the older IDI diesels, which is what I have (93 F250 7.3).

Also, I'm curious. Has your truck had an engine swap because I'm fairly sure the 7.3 liter powerstroke wasn't an option in '86.
I did find a lot of good info on the FTE including a link to dieselman's page with a lot of maintenance/troubleshooting info. My tuck has had an engine swap, and it's actually a 7.3 idi with a banks sidewinder turbo kit. I thought it was a powerstoke swap but I was mistaken. So I think the 7.3 is basically a bored out 6.9L. So figuring out out stuff of a service manual may be a little more challenging... I'll probably try to get a factory service manual for the '86 6.9, and a chilton or haynes that covers the 7.3idi
Unread 12-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
cjdavis002
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check out oilburners.net they are strictly idi's. I'm a member on powerstrokenation. They won't help you too much. Just look at the name lol. Pm me with any questions ya have. My step brother had a 7.3 Idi that he rebuilt himself. He is also a diesel mechanic. So what every ya need help with im here!
cjdavis002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
BrandonRay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdavis002 View Post
Check out oilburners.net they are strictly idi's. I'm a member on powerstrokenation. They won't help you too much. Just look at the name lol. Pm me with any questions ya have. My step brother had a 7.3 Idi that he rebuilt himself. He is also a diesel mechanic. So what every ya need help with im here!
Thank you... I appreciate that! You'll likely here from me sooner than later as I've been having cold start issues that lead up to a no start yesterday. I have the Christmas speedbump to get over before I start troubleshooting, but I'll roam around that website as well. Happy Holidays!
Unread 12-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
cjdavis002
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No problem man. Cold start- make sure there is no fuel leaks. Leaks or cracks equal air. Diesels won't run with air in the lines. That is where I would start. Make sure you plug it in also. That makes a world of difference. Make sure your glow plugs are cycling. They should make a clicking noise on the Idi's. Hit me up for any questions.
Happy holidays!
cjdavis002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.