Getting Hitched! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Getting Hitched!

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Crafty42
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Getting Hitched!

Ok, so I'm new to the Jeep world. Just picked up a 2003 Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, with of course the inline 6. I pretty certain it's all stock, with exception to the 31" tires on it. It did not come with a hitch receiver, so I was looking into getting one. Was looking around and came across Curt first, then someone mentioned Reese as well. I was originally just going to go with this one:

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...ler-hitch.html

Then I started seeing pics of ones that curve out slightly and thought that might be the way to go to avoid interference with the spare. I figured I'd come to where the experts would be and have the most experience with Wranglers and Towing. Can anyone provide any insight?

For the record, I only expect to be using it for light towing. Quad mostly, and perhaps some firewood from time to time at camp.

Thanks for any help!

Crafty42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Indy

You won't spare interference with any of them. They mount fairly low, so unless younstart hanging a 40 on the tailgate there shouldn't be an issue.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Indy

And a 40 on the tailgate will fix the 8nterference problem the first time you hit a bump anyways

Unread 02-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Crafty42
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply!
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Crafty42
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can anyone recommend a good hitch receiver and wire harness? I was leaning towards the square look of Curt, but the round Reese comes with the welded on platform to attach the wiring to. I know I could get a plate welded on, but it would damage the already coated receiver assembly and possibly leave a place for rust. Here's the Reese one.

http://www.righttoolusa.com/p/Reese-...l-2907149.html

Thanks for any help!
Unread 02-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
JPNCA
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Get a 2" receiver
Our TJ came with the 1 1/4" ( or what ever size it is ) that thing was a pain
JPNCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
JPNCA
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also I put a Curt hitch on the front on my Tundra
It fit well if that helps at all
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Crafty42
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Was definitely going with the 2" receiver. Just wondered if anyone has a nice clean way of doing the wiring instead of leaving them hanging. Might go with the Curt square and just drill and mount my own wiring platform similar to the one welded onto the round Reese one I linked to.
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
JPNCA
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There should be a plug-n-play wiring kit
Like this
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...id=20031173638

Also look into a bumper that has the hitch built in but make sure it's rated
Unread 02-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
Indy

On my YJ I mounted a plug box (sell at walmart) just inside the tailgate. With the tailgate closed you didn't know it was there, total cost about $10. A standard 4 wire fits through the panel gaps with no issue. Just open the gate, connect the plug and close it again. And since its inside, never any wires dangling. Running a thicker cord may be an issue but you shouldn't be trying to tow anything that needs more than a 4 wire with a wrangler.

No pics, it was a while and several vehicles ago.

Unread 02-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would look for one integrated in the bumper. Cleaner looking ad you won't lose any clearance. I have had an Olympic one for over a decade and towed with it many times and had no problems.

As far as your wiring. If yours is like my 01 you can get one that plugs in line behind your rear taillights.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
Crafty42
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I would look for one integrated in the bumper. Cleaner looking ad you won't lose any clearance. I have had an Olympic one for over a decade and towed with it many times and had no problems.

As far as your wiring. If yours is like my 01 you can get one that plugs in line behind your rear taillights.
I was considering the integrated bumper/receiver, but they seemed to be a little more than I can afford since I just bought the Jeep. I did end up finding the Olympic 253 Model that looks good enough for me. I couldn't find much of a rating or class on it though, except for JCWhitney saying it's a 2500 lb capacity. That only gives me 250lb of tongue weight, and would be half of the cargo carrier I'm getting, but I don't know that I'd ever load the cargo carrier up to 500 lbs anyway.

As for the wiring. I know about the ones that hook in line with the tail lights, I was referring to a way to keep the end the trailer would plug into from hanging and getting filthy.

Indy, great idea, i'll ahve to look into it, but not sure where you'd mount the box in the rear to keep it out of the way from getting hit loading/unloading things into the back. Not that I do that often, but it's only been a week.
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
UdownwitK
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i put a Curt on my XJ and love it. it was so easy to install. there are ppl (stores) on ebay that sell the Hitch AND the wire harness. and a ball included most times...

UdownwitK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
UdownwitK
2001 XJ Cherokee 

something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAILER-HITC...a5a1fd&vxp=mtr
UdownwitK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.