Gatormade Trailers. Yay or Nay? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Gatormade Trailers. Yay or Nay?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 08-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Gatormade Trailers. Yay or Nay?

Hey guys, just looking to see if anyone has had any experience with Gatormade, either good or bad. I've been looking at the 7K lb 16' or 18' lowboy for hauling an XJ. Also thought about upgrading to the 10K lb equipment trailer, just to have the extra capacity for any future adventures.

They're made in the US (actually, here in KY) so I like the aspect of "buying local" so to speak. But I've seen repeated complaints about crappy wiring, brake problems, and poor customer service. That doesn't sound like the sort of headache I want to deal with. And their warranty seems pretty minimal.

Has anybody had any experience with these trailers?

Thanks.

XJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
NotmyJK

My experience with a 25' gooseneck I bought from them. I am Newblue on there. This was four years ago though.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/t...gatormade.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/t...ll-gets-c.html
2008 JK unlimited (wifes)
2001 Boxster (wifes)
1995 Ford F350 dually flatbed (wifes)
NotmyJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like you had a rough round with them. I ended up just skimming, but did you ever get all your issues sorted out? It sounded like they sent you some jack parts and called it a day.

I talked to one dealer that had some gator trailers, and he had mixed things to say about them. He said they'd gone through different phases of quality, and their customer service had been hit and miss over the years he had dealt with them.

I ended up buying an 18' 10.4K equipment trailer. For the price difference, the upgrade seemed worth it. Especially considering the first thing I used it to haul was a 3/4 Chevy that would have put the 7K right at its limit. So, I haven't had it long enough to have many complaints. I think if my budget had been a little bigger there may have been others I would have looked at instead, but for what I spent, I'm content.

Thanks for the reviews.
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
NotmyJK

I ended up fixing the problems myself. The trailers are built pretty stout but it's the little things and the lack of service that ticked me off. I even went so far as to turn in a complaint to the BBB of Somerset, KY. That was pretty much a joke to deal with though. At the time they were painting the trailers and the goosenecks were hit and miss on the bottom side paint, but the tag trailers were put on a giant spit and turned over to paint the bottom. Now I believe they are powder coated. Even though Gatormade ticked me off, I will still keep the trailer and use it. The usage has gone down though since I purched a 48' race hauler to carry the Jeep/camp in.
The two big trailers in the fleet:
2001 Boxster (wifes)
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That's a nice setup. Glad it's holding up for you. I was a little wary at the 10.4K. I've seen plenty of people complaining that by the time you get to 10K, your frame should be full box, and theirs is just heavier channel. But I figured I just bought it to give myself a little more buffer over the 7K.

I was warned about the lip on the edge of the trailers, and the the location of the wheels. So far... both have already proven to be an issue. The Chevy I mentioned has wide wheels on it, and the front tires... they rub a little. The deck width is 82", and it looks like it's 81.5" from sidewall bulge to sidewall bulge.

The wheels being back so far has its advantages and disadvantages. The sales guy made the point to me (I know, I know...) that the wheel location wasn't such a big deal if I was towing with a 3/4 or 1 ton. The tongue weight wouldn't matter (for what I was towing). That it may be more of an issue for a 1/2 ton though. What I didn't take into consideration is turning radius. I have to use my Jeep to move it around the driveway behind my house because the long bed truck just won't cut it sharp enough. All that being said, it does track really well, and feels stable enough.

I haven't decided if I regret it yet or not. Time will tell I suppose.
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'd like to see inside pics of that race trailer.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
NotmyJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccollamjr View Post
I'd like to see inside pics of that race trailer.
You asked Front part is 20' of camper and rear is 28' of garage. With my Jeep being 13' we put a couch and TV in the front of the garage and it is now our lounge.

2001 Boxster (wifes)
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

As nice of a setup as that is... I can't imagine the headache that comes with trying to maneuver a 48' trailer.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
NotmyJK

I've only killed one mailbox with it. Lol! That and state parks have a limited amount of campsites that the trailer will fit into. Coming home from MI I was exiting a parking lot and went through a dip that made the rear of the trailer scrape. It was bad enough that all six tires were supended in the air. Since then I have lifted the trailer 4" giving it 7" additional under the rear. I have installed a wireless backup camera along with the wife armed with walkie talkies. Still though, it's a beast to manuver!
Pic of the trailer lifted 4":
2001 Boxster (wifes)
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotmyJK View Post
I have installed a wireless backup camera along with the wife armed with walkie talkies. Still though, it's a beast to maneuver!
Ha. Glad yours is useful. Mine thinks that watching for me means telling me after I hit something, not warning me before I do.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
NotmyJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJNKY View Post
Ha. Glad yours is useful. Mine thinks that watching for me means telling me after I hit something, not warning me before I do.
I had my wife get out and tell me if the tailswing of the trailer was going to hit a mailbox. She told me to stop after I knocked it off the post! This was 40' from where we bought it. Lol
2001 Boxster (wifes)
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Women...
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

You already know my opinions on gatormade. Not terrible, but better trailers for the money IMO. the main issue i have with them is the lip down the side. makes loading wide vehicles, IE any full size with aftermarket wheels, a pain.

and that 48' is huge. maneuvering our little by comparison 30' box is pain enough in some spots.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, so far everything you listed as a negative has already caused me a problem. Chevy has 265's on 9" wheels and the front tires have about 1/2" total clearance. But ultimately, it came down to finances. I didn't have it all up front and they gave it to me for $75 a month. I can live with the lip for the time being. 95% of the time what will be on the trailer is a Jeep, and they fit fine. If I need to tow a full sized I'll throw the ball in the bed and go borrow the gooseneck. If I had your rig, I wouldn't have bought it.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
Indy

My wife thinks if she stares at a ball hard enough ill telepathically know where i am in relation to the hitch.

That 48 footer, moway would it go where i go hunting, hell i dont think it would make some places that still have pavement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.