Front hitch use? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Front hitch use?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Front hitch use?

I am wanting put a hitch receiver on the front of mu TJ so I can hook the front of my jeep to a trailer and drag things up on the trailer with my winch. Some of the Items will be heavy, as much as a couple tons and not always on wheels. My winch can handle it, the trailer can handle it, and I can even make it so the receiver can handle it BUT I am concerned about the trailer hitch being ripped off the hitch ball. Is that something to be concerned about? I would love to put a winch on the trailer, if this was a something I did more option that would be my solution.

Currently I have been doing is by keeping the trailer hooked to a truck and using the winch on my jeep with a pulley. This can be a PIA and sometime space is tight.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

As long as you use the correct ball and hitch you wouldn't have a problem with it breaking anything. The bigger concern would be the weight your loading that would be placed on the front of the jeep which is already the heavy point on any jeep now extend a point further and add more weight and you can cause some problems. I would either get a winch for the trailer or make its so you can remove yours and place it on the trailer then connect to the truck. It wouldn't be to hard to create a extension cable or just use a couple deep cycle batteries with a trickle charge of some kind since I am assuming your doing 1-2 pulls for loading the trailer you should get that from most deep cycle batteries.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The weight of the load itself wont be more than a couple tons, once on the trailer. I could even use a stump, cut to fit, under the hitch to help with that. At most I would only move the trailer enough to where we could hitch it properly to another vehicle. My concern is pulling the trailer off the ball into my jeep.

Usually what are loading is pieces of old tractors or trucks out of fields. They may be buried down a bit and/or have no wheels. Even if the only weigh a thousand pounds, the resistance created by draping them can make the pull more difficult. We will first try to move them buy pulling with a larger truck or the winch to see if we can even get them unstuck. If not we won't even bring the trailer in. The reason for using the jeep attached head first to the trailer is because it is usually easier to do straight line pulls. If I need more pull I can use a pulley and still keep a straight line. Often available space to hook up a pulley for doing side pulls is limited.

Unread 06-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody have any experience doing this?

Unread 06-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
That1guy
2007 WK 

Honestly what is see happing is the jeep will be dragged towards the stuck object since it weighs less and then when the trailer is touch the object it could still drag the jeep causing the trailer and jeep to jack knife or for it to bend in a v at the ball.

Thats my educated guess.
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy View Post
Honestly what is see happing is the jeep will be dragged towards the stuck object since it weighs less and then when the trailer is touch the object it could still drag the jeep causing the trailer and jeep to jack knife or for it to bend in a v at the ball.

Thats my educated guess.
I never thought of that but I could easily see it happening, esp. jack knifing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.