Flatbed Car hauler trailer ? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Flatbed Car hauler trailer ?

I am thinking about picking up a car hauler trailer to haul my jeep.
I have a 3/4 ton pickup (RAM 2500 CTD) so I have plenty of tow vehicle.

A used trailer I am looking at is PJ 22ft with a dove tail, ramps, steel deck, electric brakes, ramps.

Still waiting to find out what axles, I want 5200lb.

Anything pros/cons of a steel deck?

Or anything I should watch out for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 09:16 PM
JunkJeep228
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Take into consideration the height of the deck, its no prob to get a lifted jeep onto a higher trailer but a low trailer is hard to get down any kind of hilly terrain. Steel deck- pro; last longer, usualy stronger. con; slicker, if need replaced is way harder, more expensive, if is thick strong steel it is heavier, if is light steel it is weaker.

"Wheel it, Break it, Build it better." Words to live by.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 02:04 AM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Doug, long time no see.

As for trailers, steel dents and rusts and wood rots. Pick your poison. Periodic weatherproofing on either will significantly add to its longevity if stored outdoors.

Here's a few more thoughts for you based on my experiences since you ask.
A 16' long trailer is adequate for Wranglers; 18' good for Cherokees. 20-22' for pickup trucks.
Shorter trailers are easier to manuever.
Dovetails more than a couple feet are prone to dragging on steep grade changes.
Cheaper trailers only have brakes on one axle, which is less than adequate in my book.
Dual 3,500 lb axles is adequate for Wranglers but not for bigger trucks.
Don't forget to subtract the weight of the trailer from the gross axle carrying capacity when calculating payload capacity.
Ramps storage underneath the deck is a nice option.
Learn about optimal tongue weights, load placement, and balance before any extended or highway speed towing trips.
Once you figure out where your rig rides well, mark the spot either physically or in your mind so it's easily repeatable.
Chose a trailer to best fit your needs.

Good luck with it.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 01:01 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I like a wood deck. And, they last forever and when they don't you can fix them with a couple of new 2x6's, 8's or 10's as appropriate.

Except that when you are east of the Mississippi and you have to park the trailer above dirt, they rot from the bottom. Not good. If you have gravel or paved parking, buy wood. If not, steel.

Wood is nice to walk on, you won't end up on your keester if someone spills something slippery like gas or oil. Wood never needs to be cleaned, dries fast. You can nail stuff down on it to keep things from moving around, etc.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #5 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Chris, we need to go wheelin' sometime.

Thanks for the responses, but I think I am going a different route.

I have an 20' enclosed trailer that I haul ATV's in but it only has 3500lb axles and payload capacity is 3900lb, Jeep weighs over 4500lbs. I am going to sell this one and buy a bigger one with 5200lb axles, 8.5x24. Which will be enough to hold the Jeep and an ATV or two.

Just need to get it ordered with the options I want.

I have never hauled a Jeep before so any pointers for securing it down would be great.
My understanding is since it will be in an enclosed trailer I should secure to the frame to control suspension movement, vs securing axles.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 01:17 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeeee View Post

I have an 20' enclosed trailer that I haul ATV's in but it only has 3500lb axles and payload capacity is 3900lb, Jeep weighs over 4500lbs. I am going to sell this one and buy a bigger one with 5200lb axles, 8.5x24. Which will be enough to hold the Jeep and an ATV or two.

I have never hauled a Jeep before so any pointers for securing it down would be great.
My understanding is since it will be in an enclosed trailer I should secure to the frame to control suspension movement, vs securing axles.
You might think about swapping axles. The trailer itself is probably fine for the weight.

This raises the age old debate about securing the frame or the axles. You wouldn't pull your rig out of a mud pit by the axles, would you? Same forces.

post #7 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did think about swapping axles, but it's not the only issue with my current trailer. The rear door is not high enough for my Jeep anymore, I tried.
The trailer I am going to get is being built taller and a higher door, I also want the extra 4 feet so there is a bit more room for the ATV and I am planning on using it to camp in.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 02:22 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I really like an enclosed trailer because there are so many other things you can use them for. Good luck!

post #9 of 10 Old 11-16-2010, 08:28 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeeee View Post

Sounds like good plan to me. Now you've got me wishing I could trailer my XJ and Polaris at the same time. My 18' trailer pretty much takes up all the available parking I have to give it in my current arrangements though.

Nylon rachet straps seem to have won out over more traditional chains and binders as the preferred method of securement.
The XJ has a soft and deep enough suspension that when I axle strap it, bumps in the road can start an oscillation going between trailer and XJ suspensions.
The caveat to frame securement is that you'll need to compress the suspension enough to alleviate the potentional for further compression with road bumps allowing the straps to loosen. At that point all road jolts are then transmitted to an already fully compressed suspension. This may be more of an issue for leaf springs than coils though.

I just upgraded to a hauler with tandem 6K axles because between armor and a full complement of gear the XJ weighs in about 5,500 which is a little more than I liked while running dual 3.5K axles on a 1,750 lb trailer. My new tie-down plan is axle strap her on and then add a couple of frame based straps to put a little compression on the suspension and minimize sway.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

post #10 of 10 Old 11-17-2010, 07:25 PM
JunkJeep228
1994 XJ Cherokee 

"My new tie-down plan is axle strap her on and then add a couple of frame based straps to put a little compression on the suspension and minimize sway."

"Wheel it, Break it, Build it better." Words to live by.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.