Flat towing YJ with Aussie in Front - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Flat towing YJ with Aussie in Front

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
jvhooser
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Flat towing YJ with Aussie in Front

I have a 1991 YJ with a Detroit locker in the rear and an Aussie in the front. The front has a cable that replaces the vacuum actuator for the axle.

I have seen several threads concerning flat towing with the Aussie in the front and the choices seem to be disconnecting the front shaft, or replacing a part in the transfer case to allow true neutral.

Will the cable actuator rather than the vacuum actuator make any difference when flat towing the Jeep?

Disconnecting the front driveshaft is no big deal, and tearing into the transfer case is over my head so that makes my choice easy if the cable-vs-vacuum actuator does not make any difference.

I should have done more research before buying the Jeep since I knew I would be flat towing behind an RV when I bought it. I had no idea at the time that a locker would matter, or that the YJ transfer case did not have true neutral.

I bought a great Jeep that I can't tow without taking it apart.

jvhooser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Indy

The cable and vacuum do the exact same thing. The passenger side axle is 2 pieces with a sliding collar. The actuator just slides the collar to connect the axle. Without that, no front wheel drive. If youre ok with the locker and vacuum then youre ok with the cable. Just make sure the cable has the axle disconnected before you tow.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
jvhooser
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Indy, Thanks for the response. It is my understanding that the cable serves the same purpose as the vacuum unit, but the vacuum unit only engages the front axle when the transfer case is put into 4wd.

However, I can use the cable to engage/disengage the front axle independant of the transfer case.

If the front axle is disengaged by means of the cable, the transfer case put into neutral, and the transmission put in gear is it safe to flat tow this Jeep with an Aussie Locker in the front?

Will disengaging the front axle with the cable serve the same effect as removing the drive shaft when towing. I want to make sure the front differential is not binding due to the locker when I am towing.

Thanks
Unread 04-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Indy

The tcase should be letting the front dshaft just free-wheel when its not engaged. And with the passenger axle in 2 pieces there shouldn't be any way for it to bind either. As long as the axle is separated and the tcase isnt in 4wd it shoudnt be any different than flat towing with an open diff.

I've never flat towed a yj so I don't know the proper tcase/tranny settings needed to keep it alive. My advice, post this question over in the YJ section. Substantially more active than this section, you'll get good info.

If you're wondering, the vacuum mod is a really failure prone item. It leaks and doesn't flex when it gets old. Either can keep you from having 4wd when its cold and/or you really want the front axle to work. Like when you're elk hunting, its fing cold, and getting dark and you're stuck on an ice covered climbing trail to get back to camp and you have no idea why you can't get the front axle to work. Just a f'erinstance.

The cable is a good fix. Or you go cheap like me and just run a long screw through it so the axle is always connected and the tcase just controlls 2/4wd.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
jvhooser
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Indy, that's what I was hoping. I hate to have to putt the front driveshaft everytime i get ready to tow the jeep. I will repost in the YJ section for sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.