Flat towing tow vehicle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Flat towing tow vehicle

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Flat towing tow vehicle

What other Jeep vehicle would be safe to flat tow a YJ? Would a Grand Cherokee be OK, or should I go with a FSJ? Or would it be better to get one of the big 3's pickups and a trailer?

(2.5/5spd/soft top)

Will be moving and will need 2nd vehicle anyway.

Thanks

djsrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I can't specifically reccommend a vehicle but I can let you know my experience. I decided to flat tow my TJ 100 miles with my f-150 when moving to school. It towed it okay ish, made it there (after I blew a front tire on the truck but thats a different story/issue). The main problem I noticed was the jeep throwing the truck around. When merging for example, I had to fight it to keep from merging over into the next lane over if that makes sense. After doing some research and talking to some people I basically found out that my problem is tongue weight and lack of wheelbase.

With a trailer, you have a good amount of weight pushing down on the hitch which pushes down on the rear axle. With flat towing however, there is absolutely no tongue weight which means no additional weight on the rear axle. A few people suggested putting sandbags in the bed would help dramatically. Some people said to never try it again. Haven't tried it again but would like to just to see what happens.

The one other issue with flat towing is you have no way to utilize the brakes on the towed vehicle which can be bad in emergency situations so give yourself plenty of room to stop. I felt comfortable in my stopping power with my truck though. Just thought I would throw that info out there for you. I was told though, that if you plan on flat towing a lot, a long wheelbase SUV such as a suburban is the best.
Wrangler_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
Indy

I flat towed my built sami with my f150 and never had an issue. Around town repeatedly and up to 400 miles for hunting. Not counting the 1st time when I learned why you attach a tow bar to the frame and not the bumper that is held on with 4 rivets. Apparently it was very exciting for the people behind me.

I traded the f150 on an 04 gc with the hp v8. Towed the sammi 2 or 3 times, in town only, and was not a happy camper. Same vehicle towing my flatbed with twice the sammi weight, no issue.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I used to flat tow my old TJ with my 06 dodge ram 1500 HEMI, and it was the perfect flat tow vehicle, brakes were strong enough for to stop them both and the engine laughed when it towed. I now have an 04 wj and I think it would make an ok flat tow vehicle, but it probably wouldn't compare to my old dodge.
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you all.

So if I understand correctly, A Grand Cherokee will do it but not that good. A Pickup will do it pretty well but a trailer with brakes is best. Is that Right?

Thanks in advance...
djsrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would get a 80's or Early 90's Grand or regular Wagoneer FSJ. Or a J series pickup or cherokee.

I had a 1988 Grand Wagoneer with the 360 and it would tow anything. Mine was stock when i sold it, but if you throw on a small lift and put some good tires, and you can use it for light off road and tow.

JEEP FOR THE WIN!

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
IRON18
1999 TJ Wrangler 

We just flat towed a tj from chicago to denver with a 1999 tahoe 2 dr. 5.7 6500# rating and absolutly no problems.
IRON18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsrtr View Post
So if I understand correctly, A Grand Cherokee will do it but not that good. A Pickup will do it pretty well but a trailer with brakes is best. Is that Right?
I'd recommend not flat towing your Jeep with anything less than a full-size truck. I flat tow mine behind 3/4 ton Suburban, and it tows great. But I've talked to several people on RV.net who have towed their TJs with GCs and were very unhappy because the TJ pushed around the rear of the GC. A 3/4 Suburban is significantly heavier than a GC, and that helps a lot when you flat tow because the tow bar has no tongue weight.

A trailer is a completely different story. If you've got your trailer balanced correctly, you'll do pretty well with the GC.

With regards to brakes - you can add auxiliary brakes to any vehicle while in tow. There are several systems on the market, such as Brake Buddy, ReadyBrake by ReadyBrute, and Roadmaster EvenBrake. They can be pricey, but if you're going to flat tow the Jeep regularly, you'll be glad you have it. I've ocassionally flat-towed my LJ with my 3/4 ton Suburban without brakes, but I wouldn't recommend that with a 1/2 ton (lighter truck, smaller brakes, etc...).

If you're going to trailer tow the Jeep, then the trailer should have sufficient brakes (assuming it's rated to tow the Jeep's weight).

Also, a full-size SUV will do better flat towing than a full-size pickup because it'll have more weight on the read end, which will help offset the lack of tongue weight.

Hope that helps.
Unread 09-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Fsj!!! Keep it jeep!!!

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.