Flat towing TJ with Nissan Titan? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Flat towing TJ with Nissan Titan?

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #16
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

Man throw a Firestone 2355 air spring kit to help with that load, it will also help the ride and keep the truck level..

IndyBlueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #17
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
I am not one of those people with an 'opinion'. I flat tow over 5,000 miles a year usually behind an RV. In the end it shouldn't make a difference if the tranny is in gear or not. I leave it in gear for peace of mind. And I've seen some dum sh** in my owners manual.
I agree there is some dumb stuff in OM's. But, if Dodge/Chryzler is going to Warranty all those transmissions.... I would think they know what they are talking about rather than assume they are wrong. If they wanted the Xtra Lube etc. I think the OM would advise you to tow in Gear to Guarantee a fail proof product and avoid warranty repairs.
1HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HouseMouse View Post
I agree there is some dumb stuff in OM's. But, if Dodge/Chryzler is going to Warranty all those transmissions.... I would think they know what they are talking about rather than assume they are wrong. If they wanted the Xtra Lube etc. I think the OM would advise you to tow in Gear to Guarantee a fail proof product and avoid warranty repairs.
You have a very good point there.
Unread 02-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #19
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

So, tow with both transfer case and transmission in neutral? I don't have access to any owners Manuals right now.
Unread 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #20
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbrown View Post
So, tow with both transfer case and transmission in neutral? I don't have access to any owners Manuals right now.
That is correct. Yes, that is what the OM advises what to do along with the correct positioning of the key by unlocking the steering wheel so it free wheels. I believe it's on positition back off the start? Off the top of my head.... No coffee yet.
Unread 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ok, thanks.
Unread 02-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #22
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBlueWK View Post
Man throw a Firestone 2355 air spring kit to help with that load, it will also help the ride and keep the truck level..
Who? Me ?

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #23
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90

Who? Me ?
He is attempting to troll.
Unread 02-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #24
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

I am not a vendor...
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #25
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

There is a lot of mis-information in this thread...

First of all, the Jeep manuals do not say to tow with the transmission in Neutral. They say to put the transfer case in Neutral and the transmission in Park or High-gear (5th or 6th, depending on your transmission). The reason for this is that the fluid in the tranfer case can still transfer some rotational motion to the output side of the transmission, and if the transmission is in Neutral it can start to rotate. Since the transmission doesn't get lubrication when the engine is not running, this motion could do damage on a long highway pull. So to prevent that you leave the transmission in gear or park to keep it from turning at all. Then the only place where the driveline is spinning is from the transfer case back. Jeep has the owners manuals online here, if you'd like to verify it yourself. They only go back to 2004, but the 2000 TJ has the same transfer case as the 2004.

On a manual transmission, any gear will work if all goes well. But the reason to use your high-gear (5th or 6th) instead of 1st is this: if for some reason your transfer case were to come out of Neutral, your trans and engine would start spinning while you're going down the highway. Although this is extremely unlikely to happen, you'd rather have the engine and tranny spinning at a reasonable RPM in high-gear, rather than trying to turn highway speeds in 1st gear. Although it's a very unlikely scenario, it's just as easy to put it into 5th or 6th, instead of 1st.

Also, there is no reason for adding airbags to flat tow a Jeep, or any vehicle. The towbar does not add any weight to the rear of the truck, so there's no need for the additional weight capacity provided by airbags. But that post may or may not have been someone trolling... hard to say.
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #26
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

No trolling here... and not a vendor...
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #27
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
There is a lot of mis-information in this thread...

First of all, the Jeep manuals do not say to tow with the transmission in Neutral. They say to put the transfer case in Neutral and the transmission in Park or High-gear (5th or 6th, depending on your transmission). The reason for this is that the fluid in the tranfer case can still transfer some rotational motion to the output side of the transmission, and if the transmission is in Neutral it can start to rotate. Since the transmission doesn't get lubrication when the engine is not running, this motion could do damage on a long highway pull. So to prevent that you leave the transmission in gear or park to keep it from turning at all. Then the only place where the driveline is spinning is from the transfer case back. Jeep has the owners manuals online here, if you'd like to verify it yourself. They only go back to 2004, but the 2000 TJ has the same transfer case as the 2004.

On a manual transmission, any gear will work if all goes well. But the reason to use your high-gear (5th or 6th) instead of 1st is this: if for some reason your transfer case were to come out of Neutral, your trans and engine would start spinning while you're going down the highway. Although this is extremely unlikely to happen, you'd rather have the engine and tranny spinning at a reasonable RPM in high-gear, rather than trying to turn highway speeds in 1st gear. Although it's a very unlikely scenario, it's just as easy to put it into 5th or 6th, instead of 1st.

Also, there is no reason for adding airbags to flat tow a Jeep, or any vehicle. The towbar does not add any weight to the rear of the truck, so there's no need for the additional weight capacity provided by airbags. But that post may or may not have been someone trolling... hard to say.
Exactly where does it say in the owners manual to tow in Gear? (Manual Transmission). On page 237, it tells you how to ensure that the transfer case is in Neutral with a big Caution and the test procedure to follow before hand to ensure it is. The test procedure immediately follows the Cautionary note, with 1 though 11 steps to follow. Now it does state on page 238 that an Automatic is shifted into P-Park and you are ready to go? Again where does it say to tow a Standard transmission in Gear? On page 238 line 5 it say to place a manual in gear as part of the test to see if the transfer case is in Neutral as a procedure that starts on page 237. Where does it state to tow in gear so the transmission gets Lubricated also? It doesn't. Although it leaves you at line 5 with a Manual transmission in a Gear (which one) because it was a test to see if the Transfer Case was properly placed in Neutral. It does leave you with questions about the Manual Transmission although. It doesn't even specifically state to tow with the Transmission in Neutral either. Because on page 237 is mostly about Cautionary guidance to ensure the Transfer Case is in Neutral and the test procedures to ensure it is in Neutral. Now, again on 238, line 5, as part of those test procedures it Leaves you there with the Manual transmission in gear leading you there to believe You should tow in gear but, as on the previous page this was a Test procedure only to see if the Transfer case was in Neutral. That is where you are left to come to your own conclusion about towing in a gear. Which One? It doesn't specify nor does it say to tow in a gear because of the CAUTION on page 237 the placement in gear was a test procedure to ensure that the Transfer Case was in Neutral Pryor to the actual event of a Flat Tow.

I Emailed Cry-Zler the other day and the Bottom line was to Contract your local Jeep Maintenance Provider for further guidance on the subject. There have been a few posts that have towed many uneventful miles With the transmission in and out of gear. Guess it will boil down to personal preference.
Unread 03-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #28
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

As to your question "Where does it state to tow in gear so the transmission gets Lubricated also" - I belive you've misunderstood my post. You don't tow in gear to lubricate the transmission; you tow in gear so the transmission cannot rotate. Since it's not being lubricated, you don't want it rotating. By putting it in gear, you're connecting the rear-half of the transmission to the front-half, and the stopped engine keeps the whole thing from spinning.

I'm not looking to argue with you, only to provide information. We must be looking at 2 different manuals because pages 237 & 238 are all about Vehicle Maintenance in the manual I'm looking at, and you're talking about towing info on those pages.

But from the steps you've described (step 5 places the manual transmission in gear), if you followed those steps to the letter, you'd end up with the auto in park and the manual in gear.

The supplemental user guide has the following checklist that says it more directly:
  • Bring the vehicle to a complete stop,
    turn off the engine and press and hold
    the brake pedal.
  • Shift the automatic transmission into
    NEUTRAL or depress the clutch
    pedal on a manual transmission.
  • Shift the transfer case lever into N
    (Neutral).
  • Start the engine and shift the
    transmission into REVERSE.
  • Release the brake pedal (and clutch
    pedal on manual transmissions) for
    five seconds and ensure that there is
    no vehicle movement.
  • Repeat the previous step with
    automatic transmission in DRIVE or
    manual transmission in first gear.
  • Turn OFF the engine and leave the
    ignition switch in the unlocked OFF
    position.
  • Firmly apply the parking brake and
    shift the transmission into PARK or
    place manual transmission in gear
    (NOT in Neutral).
  • Attach vehicle to the tow vehicle with tow bar
  • Release parking brake.

The 3rd step from the end of the checklist says the auto should be in park and the manual should be in gear. Jeep does not specify which gear; that was merely my suggestion from my own experience and what I've learned from others.
Unread 03-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #29
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
As to your question "Where does it state to tow in gear so the transmission gets Lubricated also" - I belive you've misunderstood my post. You don't tow in gear to lubricate the transmission; you tow in gear so the transmission cannot rotate. Since it's not being lubricated, you don't want it rotating. By putting it in gear, you're connecting the rear-half of the transmission to the front-half, and the stopped engine keeps the whole thing from spinning.

I'm not looking to argue with you, only to provide information. We must be looking at 2 different manuals because pages 237 & 238 are all about Vehicle Maintenance in the manual I'm looking at, and you're talking about towing info on those pages.

But from the steps you've described (step 5 places the manual transmission in gear), if you followed those steps to the letter, you'd end up with the auto in park and the manual in gear.

The supplemental user guide has the following checklist that says it more directly:
  • Bring the vehicle to a complete stop,
    turn off the engine and press and hold
    the brake pedal.
  • Shift the automatic transmission into
    NEUTRAL or depress the clutch
    pedal on a manual transmission.
  • Shift the transfer case lever into N
    (Neutral).
  • Start the engine and shift the
    transmission into REVERSE.
  • Release the brake pedal (and clutch
    pedal on manual transmissions) for
    five seconds and ensure that there is
    no vehicle movement.
  • Repeat the previous step with
    automatic transmission in DRIVE or
    manual transmission in first gear.
  • Turn OFF the engine and leave the
    ignition switch in the unlocked OFF
    position.
  • Firmly apply the parking brake and
    shift the transmission into PARK or
    place manual transmission in gear
    (NOT in Neutral).
  • Attach vehicle to the tow vehicle with tow bar
  • Release parking brake.

The 3rd step from the end of the checklist says the auto should be in park and the manual should be in gear. Jeep does not specify which gear; that was merely my suggestion from my own experience and what I've learned from others.
DOI!!!!!! Now that makes Logic to me about putting the Transmission in Gear. (Thick Skull) It makes no mention of any gear other than as a procedural event to check the Transfer Case in my Owners Manual. I guess because I'm only a "Registered User" here on the JF they will not allow me to upload any photo to this thread to show you. Your Sixth procedure mentions First Gear. My Owners Manual makes no mention of this at all. But thanks for clearing it up. I'm wondering now if there is some sort of Procedural Difference over this issue because of California VS Non-California Vehicles.... Just some thoughts.

Last edited by 1HouseMouse; 03-05-2012 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: After thought
Unread 03-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #30
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HouseMouse View Post
DOI!!!!!! Now that makes Logic to me about putting the Transmission in Gear. (Thick Skull) It makes no mention of any gear other than as a procedural event to check the Transfer Case in my Owners Manual. I guess because I'm only a "Registered User" here on the JF they will not allow me to upload any photo to this thread to show you. Your Sixth procedure mentions First Gear. My Owners Manual makes no mention of this at all. But thanks for clearing it up. I'm wondering now if there is some sort of Procedural Difference over this issue because of California VS Non-California Vehicles.... Just some thoughts.
Yeah - they want you to use 1st gear in step 6 to make sure the transfer case is in Neutral. You can use 1st gear (or any gear) while towing to prevent the output side of the tranny from rotating, but my personal preference is 6th gear - to reduce the potential for damage should the transfer case come out of Neutral.

In all the years that I've had Jeeps, I've seen the transfer case come out of gear one time, and that was not towing. So I think it's high unlikely to happen, but since any gear works, and I believe 6th gear is slightly safer, that is my preference. I'm also a member of another forum that is primarily focused on towing, and this is the general consensus there as well.

I don't know if it's a California vs. Non-California thing - but I do know that Jeep has not been terribly consistent with updating their manuals, and their are several versions floating around out there. For example, the 2010-2012 Wrangler manuals still refer to unlocking the steering wheel to flat tow the Jeep, but those years don't have a steering lock. Interestingly - Jeep has updated the user guide for the newer wranglers to show that they no longer have a steering wheel lock, but the manuals still show otherwise. Yes - I know this is a different year and different model Wrangler (JK), but it's a good example of Jeep manuals being out of sync with each other.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.