Flat towing TJ behind motorhome brakes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Flat towing TJ behind motorhome brakes?

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
ocotillowellsTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Flat towing TJ behind motorhome brakes?

I'm looking to buy a Jeep Wrangler TJ to flat tow (4 wheels down) behind my motorhome. I plan on getting a motorhome mounted folding tow bar like a roadmaster or blue ox. I'm wondering how much of a difference between running an electric brake box or going without supplemental brakes?
The weight of the Jeep would be in stock form. Towing with a Ford E450 class c motorhome chassis.

ocotillowellsTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same motorhome chassis you do, but it is the smallest one made on the E-450 chassis. 26foot. Being the same chassis as the 31 footers, I do not have to worry about how much junk I throw in it!! I tow my TJ behind it using a Roadmaster tow bar and brackets. They mount to the frame under the front bumper and have the removable reciever like attachments (kit#1424-1). As far as brakes go, I do not use them so I can not tell you how they would work. My state does not require that I have them. I can tell you that I don't even feel the Jeep back there at all, and my braking works fine. I also drive large trucks for a living so I am always in the habit of leaving plenty of space between me, and the vehicle in front of me, in case of emergencies. Happy Camping!!!
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
ptwelve
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I pull a 98 TJ behind my class A Ford F53 chassis (more or less an F550). I'm running a Demco Excalibar tow bar and my own base plate. I didn't like Demco's and I didn't want to lessen my approach angle thus tearing up the attachment points, so I went over the bumper.

Between the 2+ inchs of lift on the jeep, my motorhome's low hitch height and that my base plate is above the bumper, I needed a 10" reciever lift to keep the tow bar level.

I can certainly tell that the difference with the Jeep behind me but currently do not have brakes. I intend on getting the readybrakes or even brakes proportional brake systems. For the money they seem the easiest to use and the easiest to move if I get another towed vehicle.
Unread 12-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
ocotillowellsTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwelve View Post
I pull a 98 TJ behind my class A Ford F53 chassis (more or less an F550). I'm running a Demco Excalibar tow bar and my own base plate. I didn't like Demco's and I didn't want to lessen my approach angle thus tearing up the attachment points, so I went over the bumper.

Between the 2+ inchs of lift on the jeep, my motorhome's low hitch height and that my base plate is above the bumper, I needed a 10" reciever lift to keep the tow bar level.

I can certainly tell that the difference with the Jeep behind me but currently do not have brakes. I intend on getting the readybrakes or even brakes proportional brake systems. For the money they seem the easiest to use and the easiest to move if I get another towed vehicle.
Wow thank you for your post! That was just the information I was looking for. I'm going to look for a used Demco tow bar and weld a custom base plate like yours.

I was researching the readybrake site and they make a attachment surge brake that fit on the front of the Demco tow bars.
I like the idea of a mechanical surge brake and no brake box to lug around.

I just need a Jeep Wrangler TJ now! I plan on shopping after I get a tax return.
Unread 12-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
frumpy

I doubt you would need brakes. I tow my YJ on 33s behind a half ton with no brakes on the jeep and don't have a problem
Unread 01-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I tow my TJ behind a 36-foot diesel pusher with air brakes and I do not use a supplemental braking system. I can definitely feel the Jeep behind me when driving down steep mountain roads, but I wouldn't say it's a problem. I just leave myself a little extra following distance.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
ocotillowellsTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I finally got my 2002 Jeep Wrangler ready to flat tow behind my E450 class c motorhome. It tows fine without supp. brakes. I have a Demco Aluminator tow bar. I leave extra room in front of me anyways when driving the RV.

Got the tow bar used for $250 and a base plate for a toyota truck which I modified to mount on top of the Jeeps bumper.
Unread 06-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
gkainz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I tow my '95 YJ behind my '83 Ford E350 460 Tioga 27' with no supplemental brakes. We have a few little hills out here where I go ...

I use a homemade towbar.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Roadmaster removeable frame mounts and entry level tow bar. Working great for almost 3 years.

Last edited by TJDaveX; 07-14-2009 at 09:09 AM..
Unread 07-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
thefewtheproud
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have flat towed my CJ before but I always wondered if this is such a good idea? I have heard that with everything spinning with the vehicle not being on, the transmission fluid isn't being pumped so everything wears. Is this true? Not to mention it racks up the miles on the odometer even though you're not driving it...
Unread 07-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefewtheproud View Post
I have flat towed my CJ before but I always wondered if this is such a good idea? I have heard that with everything spinning with the vehicle not being on, the transmission fluid isn't being pumped so everything wears. Is this true? Not to mention it racks up the miles on the odometer even though you're not driving it...
Not sure how a CJ works flat towing although I have seen lots being dragged up to the woods behind campers that way. The TJ has no adverse effects on the drivetrain from flat towing IF you follow the directions in the owners manual correctly. No miles are registered on the odometer as long as the ign. is only turned one click forward to unlock steering wheel on a TJ.
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
AJsJeepTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Guy a Jeep TJ weights only about 4400 pounds, so it may not exceed the gross vehicle weight your motorhome is capable of. As long as it doesn't exceed the GVW, you wouldn't need a separate braking system. The manufacturer of the motorhome chassis engineer's the brakes to handle the GVW so it will handle anything up to that amount safely.
AJsJeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsJeepTJ View Post
Hey Guy a Jeep TJ weights only about 4400 pounds, so it may not exceed the gross vehicle weight your motorhome is capable of. As long as it doesn't exceed the GVW, you wouldn't need a separate braking system. The manufacturer of the motorhome chassis engineer's the brakes to handle the GVW so it will handle anything up to that amount safely.
Not necessarily true. Different states have different laws regarding towed vehicle brakes and some may require a braking system, regardless of whether the combined weight exceeds the GVWR of the towed vehicle or not. Best to follow the applicable laws.

Also, a flat-towed Jeep places no additional load on the tow vehicle's tires, so the extra braking force required to stop it is not accompanied by the extra traction you would have if the tow vehicle were carrying that load instead of towing it. Probably not a significant factor with a motorhome, but it certainly could be with a lighter tow vehicle.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #14
BentAxle

Put transfer case in neutral, transmission in park and nothing in your trans will move.
BentAxle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #15
WRANGLERnTX
2012 JK Wrangler 

I tow my Wrangler Unlimited behind my Diesel Pusher motorhome. Using a Roadmaster All Terrain 2 with a Roadmaster Brakemaster supplemental braking system. It works really well -- i've towed my Jeep about 5,000 miles in the past year without any incidents.

Personally, I wouldn't pull a vehicle without supplemental braking system. Especially the way most idiots drive. I can't count the number of times that morons have pulled out right in front of my motorhome. Just my $.02 worth but I'd definitely add a brake system.

Good luck, I know you will have fun with your Jeep and motorhome.
WRANGLERnTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.