Flat towing procedure! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Flat towing procedure!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
PERRI 56Y

Flat towing procedure!

I asked this same question in 09' and I received too many different answers to flat tow my 01' TJ automatic to Wyoming.I appreciated all the help but I need someone with the same setup to walk me thru the steps.PLEASE.My Dad towed it to Wyoming every year but the steps to do it were lost with him.I own it now and I want to tow it this year.Where to turn the key,what to put the Tranny in and what to put the Transfer Case.Thanks!!!!!!!!!

PERRI 56Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

key turned forward until steering unlocks, then back till it stops without pushing the button, this unlocks the steering, the transfer case in neutral, the transmission in 1st or park, thats it, your ready to go.

99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
PERRI 56Y

Thanks TJ Wyoming!!!!
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not to argue, but step 6 in the manual shown above just says "Shift manual transmission into gear...", it doesn't specify 1st gear.

If you have a manual, the general consensus is to shift into your highest gear (5th or 6th, depending on your transmission). For all intents and purposes it'll make no difference - any gear will prevent the transmission from rotating, forcing all of the movement to occur within the transfer case, which is what you want.

But should something go wrong and the transfer case become re-engaged, you'd rather be in 6th gear while towing at highway speeds, than 1st gear. Any resulting damage would be less severe. It's a very unlikely scenario, but since it makes no difference which gear you use, I always use 6th.

And I just returned from flat-towing my LJ for over 2500 miles.
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRI 56Y View Post
Thanks TJ Wyoming!!!!
Very glad I could help, hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
PERRI 56Y

Thank you again TJ Wyoming.Thank you MPond for your input,You guys were the only ones that steped up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I have a 4.0 with a automatic MPond.
Unread 08-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

You're welcome. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.