Flat Tow a TJ ?? Tow Bar ?? Brake Assist?? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Flat Tow a TJ ?? Tow Bar ?? Brake Assist??

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #31
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This is the bracket I made.
Its 2x2x4" stainless steel.

That BIG hole is to get the socket through.

I cut one of these hooks .

To fit here.

This is them instald.

From ground up..

Side view... Added a nut as a shim for stability.

And Viola Tow Bar...

View of chain.

Here's the HF Lights.

Unread 03-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #32
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice design and work. And some great photos too.
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #33
driftwood98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Guys thanks for info, I will be towing my TJ to the beach (300 miles) with our Volvo XC90 V8 AWD (towing capacity is 4500#) . I am wondering how much of a decrease in MPG you guys see. The drive from Atlanta to Hilton Head is basicaly flat, down hill about 1000ft there and up hill on the way back. I have already planned to drop my average speed from 78-79 to about 60. I typically get about 21 MPG hauling a**. Hoping for 14-15 so towing will be a wash, kinda like we drove the Jeep but had the comfort of the Volve. Am I being optomistic? BTW just towing the TJ to have it a the beach for cruising.
Thanks for any input. I will post pics of the rig once it is all worked out
driftwood98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #34
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Towing my TJ with my friends V8HO WJ we usually go from 20 unloaded to about 12-14 towing my Jeep. That's the exact same stretch of highway (175 miles one way, traveled twice a week) averaging 65MPH.

Last edited by chadsmeltzer; 03-16-2010 at 10:18 PM..
chadsmeltzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #35
driftwood98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Chad, so it looks like the trip will cost about $45 extra in gas round trip ($45 / 550miles = $.08 a mile). That is in my opinion is a small price to pay to have the TJ availalable for cruising, trips to the grociery store and dragging the kids around. The trip will take a little longer maybe 45-55 minutes, I am not sure what my safe tow speed will be just yet (275 miles / 75 = 3:40 hauling A** - 275 miles / 60 = 4:35).
Thanks again Chad.
Any pointer besides leave plenty of stopping room?
How agressive where you in the testing portion of setting up your rig, something tells me to preform a "panic stop" from speed before I get the wife and kid in the truck. What do you think about practicing some stops and lane changes at speed?
driftwood98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #36
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

To be honest, the first time we hooked up was about 10 minutes before we went on a 400 mile trip, we were on a time crunch. My buddy got in his Jeep and I got in mine which was hooked up and we went down the road slowly at first to make sure everything was working right. Then we tried a hard stop and it seemed to do okay. Remember that your TJ is a lot of weight behind you. It won't take long to overheat your brakes. Also, while going around turns the TJ will want to push your back end out, sorta like jack knifing. It's usually not very noticeable, the only time it ever broke loose was on a slippery road making a sharp turn and accelerating.
Remember, it's nearly impossible to back up. Plan that into every time to stop.
Unread 09-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #37
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just installed the Harbor Freight towbar on my TJ yesterday... mounted the brackets to the bottom of the bumper, piggybacking the torx bolt for my warn bumper for the inboard bolt and drilling a hole for the outboard bolt.

I've never flat towed a vehicle before... the HF manual says to lock the steering wheel in the straight ahead position - is this necessary and if so, how?

Or as others have suggested do you just leave the key in and the steering loose - is caster supposed to keep the front wheels straight?
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #38
Kris_Kris
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
Just installed the Harbor Freight towbar on my TJ yesterday... mounted the brackets to the bottom of the bumper, piggybacking the torx bolt for my warn bumper for the inboard bolt and drilling a hole for the outboard bolt.

I've never flat towed a vehicle before... the HF manual says to lock the steering wheel in the straight ahead position - is this necessary and if so, how?

Or as others have suggested do you just leave the key in and the steering loose - is caster supposed to keep the front wheels straight?
Leave the steering unlocked. The jeep will track behind the tow vehicle. The T-case in nutral (test it / double check it) and put the trany in gear (preferably a forward gear) or park.
Kris_Kris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #39
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_Kris View Post
Leave the steering unlocked. The jeep will track behind the tow vehicle. The T-case in nutral (test it / double check it) and put the trany in gear (preferably a forward gear) or park.
Thanks! Just took the rig out for a test drive and it seemed to work great. Front wheels turn as if by magic :-)

I cut apart the 2 safety chains that have a hook at each end and put the chain link end through the u-bolt on the tow bar. So now I have 4 hooks, two of which go into the hitch receiver and two into the holes in the side of the jeep's forward frame rails.

HF tow bar: $59.99
Magnetic tow lights: $9.99
Safety chains (2) 19.98

Total cost of set up: $89.96 plus tax
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #40
Kris_Kris
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
Thanks! Just took the rig out for a test drive and it seemed to work great. Front wheels turn as if by magic :-)

I cut apart the 2 safety chains that have a hook at each end and put the chain link end through the u-bolt on the tow bar. So now I have 4 hooks, two of which go into the hitch receiver and two into the holes in the side of the jeep's forward frame rails.

HF tow bar: $59.99
Magnetic tow lights: $9.99
Safety chains (2) 19.98

Total cost of set up: $89.96 plus tax
Im not sure what you are towing with but be carefull brakeing and turning at the same time. If your tow vehicle is light in the rear (empty pickup) or the roads are wet, it will push the back of your truck around.
Kris_Kris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #41
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_Kris View Post
Im not sure what you are towing with but be carefull brakeing and turning at the same time. If your tow vehicle is light in the rear (empty pickup) or the roads are wet, it will push the back of your truck around.
Good advice, and I will certainly approach it with caution - especially braking in turns, descending, etc. Don't plan to exceed 55mph.

My tow vehicle is a crew cab F-450 which weighs almost 9000 lbs empty and probably around 14k with the camper on it.
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #42
morr1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Been searching..but need help on the best tow bar set up t flat tow a TJ.

have seen the following options:

Currie Under Front Bumper Mounting Brackets - Mount under bumpber
http://currieenterprises2.reachlocal...9.aspx?id=2651

Warrior shackels but require a non factory steel bumper...
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92012_150.htm

Should I put upgrade to a front bumper with quality D rings or save the cash and go under frame bolt on?
morr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.