Flat Tow a TJ ?? Tow Bar ?? Brake Assist?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Flat Tow a TJ ?? Tow Bar ?? Brake Assist??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 01-31-2010, 11:44 PM   #16
StvDiego

I tow my TJ with an '03 F250 Stupid Duty all the time; California mountains, desert, never a prob. I have a Blue Ox tow bar, great bar, very, very heavy, runs about $300, pulls the same as a $100 tow bar. When the new bumper is built I'll dump the Blue Ox and use my Pep Boys folding tow bar and my $9 on sale Harbor Freight lights.

True about the F-250 and weight. Last trip I had a D44 and two D30's in the bed, a couple of lift kits and various other parts, major difference in handling. Toss some weight in the bed or keep an eye out for Velvet Ride shackles.

StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #17
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have driven this setup a couple thousand miles. The quads in the bed help the ride somewhat, and you really can't tell the Jeep is there when stopping. We also flat towed that TJ with a WJ and stopping it is very noticeable and ended up warping rotors. With the F-250, there is no need for aux brakes at all, until we use the 30ft gooseneck
Unread 02-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #18
jdub36
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Where do you guys stick the magnet lights? I am trying to figure out where the best spot is on a TJ with soft top.

thanks,

JW
jdub36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #19
Kris_Kris
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub36 View Post
Where do you guys stick the magnet lights? I am trying to figure out where the best spot is on a TJ with soft top.

thanks,

JW
I used the magnetic ones for a while but there was no good place to put them.

I installed a 2nd set of light bulbs in the factory tail lights and wired them directly to a trailer plug on the front of the jeep. When they are on, you can not tell the difference between them and the factory lights. This way the lights are always there and ready to go.
Kris_Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #20
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

thanks,

JW
I just stick them on the rear bumper. I have hit some pretty big bumps and gone thousands of miles like that and never even had one budge. Just make sure the bumper is fairly clean first.
Unread 02-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #21
jdub36
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok i will have to pick up a set and try them before my big trip.

thanks,

JW
jdub36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 10:08 AM   #22
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok i will have to pick up a set and try them before my big trip.

thanks,

JW
Harbor Freight has some for around $20. Only thing I don't like is they are just barely long enough. The LED version is nice too, I got them on sale for around $15. Only complaint about them is when the lights are on, the blinker is sorta hard to see. (I think that's what is was, its been a few months.)
Unread 02-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #23
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_Kris View Post
I installed a 2nd set of light bulbs in the factory tail lights and wired them directly to a trailer plug on the front of the jeep.
x2, this worked out very well, until i got LED taillights. Installed a bulb socket in the factory light, used a trailer wiring harness from WallyWorld, mounted a plug on the front grill, ran the wires past the radiator thru the engine compartment/firewall and along the driver's inside of the tub, and it was an easy plug-in.

I have the Harbor Freight magnet lights now, $9 on sale with coupon. They're definitely cheap, the magnets almost stick to metal and I had to replace the bulbs immediately. I epoxied new magnets on and stick them on the hi-lift jack that runs across the tire/can carrier. Before that I bungee corded them on. A couple of friends I run with use this method, bungee cord to the top of the factory tail lights and one guy epoxied a metal plate to the inside of his factory lights and then uses the magnets to hold them on.
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #24
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How about safety chains?

The tow-bar to truck is self explanatory . Butt The Harbor Freight tow bar has a loop for safety chains from the tow bar to the Jeep....
Where do you put those chains?
I see a couple slots under the bumper for tie down points .... Do you get a hook for the chain and put them there?
Unread 02-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #25
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have drings? You could hook them there. Mine doesn't have anything to hook to the Jeep, but mine is way overbuilt. If the towbar comes off my Jeep, I have much bigger issues to deal with.
Unread 02-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #26
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Instead of mounting the bracket to the front of the bumper can I bolt it to the bottom/ underside of the bumper where the bumper bolts on?
Unread 02-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #27
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i dont see why not. Though i'd be concerned with that hurting your ground clearance. I welded my brackets for my Harbor Freight tow bar right to the front of my bumper.

For safety chains I just hook the ones from the tow bar to the Jeep up to my D-rings on my front bumper
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #28
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm ... no D rings stock bumper...
Unread 02-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #29
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Tow bars on sale at Harbor freight. Feb 11-20 something.....
I got it for $38 it is on sale for $49 and I had a coupon for 20% off.

And Truckers 3/8" X 14' chain on sale for $14 . That'll make a nice safety chain.

And Magnetic tow lights $19
Unread 03-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #30
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I made some kick a$$ tow bar mounts out of stainless heavy gauge 2" square tubing . That bolt too the bottom of the frame rail .

I can't wait to get picks and share....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.