Fiberglass enclosed trailer with an LJ Rubi? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Fiberglass enclosed trailer with an LJ Rubi?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
CaveyDM
Yup

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fiberglass enclosed trailer with an LJ Rubi?

Has anyone pulled a fiberglass enclosed trailer with an LJ (06 with a 4 speed auto tranny)?
I dont want to step out on a limb here and get in over my head. I know my 97 TJ 5 speed manual did not handle it very well at all. The trailer pretty much owned it. So we stuck with the girl friends 4 Runner.

Its used to haul tools, camping gear, diving kit, dirt bikes,(makes a good sleeping place as well)you get the idea.

The trailer is a 10x6 fiberglass enclosed trailer.

Any and all opinions welome.

CaveyDM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Two questions:

1. How heavy is the 10x6 enclsoed trailer when loaded?

2. Do you have proper sway control and a Weight Distribution Hitch?

I've seen it done once, and with the proper equipment it is possible, *if* the trailer isn't too heavy.

But it's not something I would choose to do. Lifted Jeeps aren't terribly stable on their own, let alone with a lot of weight pushing you around.
Unread 03-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
CaveyDM
Yup

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
Two questions:

1. How heavy is the 10x6 enclsoed trailer when loaded?

2. Do you have proper sway control and a Weight Distribution Hitch?

I've seen it done once, and with the proper equipment it is possible, *if* the trailer isn't too heavy.

But it's not something I would choose to do. Lifted Jeeps aren't terribly stable on their own, let alone with a lot of weight pushing you around.
Thanks for getting the old wheels turning on this subject.

1. Weight is mostly depending on what we are using it for on a given day. It weighs about 1700 lbs empty, so I'd guess around 2500-3000 with stuff in it for the most part.

2. no sway bars, didnt think I needed them it not being that big of a trailer. (guess thats what I get for thinking) Any recomendations? Im generaly pretty keen on doing my own crankin for the most part, so If its straight forward, I'd prefer to do it myself.

I have an an OME 2.5 heavy suspension lift on my LJ, so not to much of a lift to speak of.
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTurbo View Post
Thanks for getting the old wheels turning on this subject.

1. Weight is mostly depending on what we are using it for on a given day. It weighs about 1700 lbs empty, so I'd guess around 2500-3000 with stuff in it for the most part.

2. no sway bars, didnt think I needed them it not being that big of a trailer. (guess thats what I get for thinking) Any recomendations? Im generaly pretty keen on doing my own crankin for the most part, so If its straight forward, I'd prefer to do it myself.

I have an an OME 2.5 heavy suspension lift on my LJ, so not to much of a lift to speak of.
Normally a trailer that light wouldn't require sway bars or a Weight Distribution Hitch, but as the trailer is going to be near the 3500 lb trailer rating for an LJ, I wouldn't go without them. You don't want the tail wagging the dog.

That being said, if I had the option of a larger tow vehicle (you mentioned the girlfriend's 4Runner) I'd still go that route before towing it with the LJ. It's just not meant to be a tow rig. For comparison, the '02-'09 4Runners have a towing capactity of 5000 lbs.

The other thing you should consider is brakes. Most lifted LJs with larger wheels & tires are already marginal in terms of braking, unless you've upgraded your brakes.

Does the trailer have electric or surge brakes?
Unread 03-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #5
CaveyDM
Yup

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
Normally a trailer that light wouldn't require sway bars or a Weight Distribution Hitch, but as the trailer is going to be near the 3500 lb trailer rating for an LJ, I wouldn't go without them. You don't want the tail wagging the dog.

That being said, if I had the option of a larger tow vehicle (you mentioned the girlfriend's 4Runner) I'd still go that route before towing it with the LJ. It's just not meant to be a tow rig. For comparison, the '02-'09 4Runners have a towing capactity of 5000 lbs.

The other thing you should consider is brakes. Most lifted LJs with larger wheels & tires are already marginal in terms of braking, unless you've upgraded your brakes.

Does the trailer have electric or surge brakes?
Thats some solid food for thought. i dont have to pull it often, and its mostly used as a portable gear garage/shelter on trips and ocasionaly a good spot to set up a cot or put the dogs kennel when we go on shorter purpose driven camping trips where a tent ist a good idea or even possible. I like the fact its small enough to throw into a parking space without much of a thought.

I may price an electric brake system and figure out how to install it along with a weight distribution hitch like you said. We'll see how $$$ economical of an option that is. It not being a very large trailer I had not considered either in the past, but may look at it, as it would make it more manageable for both the 4 runner and maybe the jeep on a much less frequent ocasion.

A link I have been looking over with good info on trailer brakes and weight distribution hitch parts.

http://www.randpcarriages.com/tech/brakeinstall.html

http://www.randpcarriages.com/tech/

Here is these folks home page. They seemed super eager to help out and have a lot of good info as well as the ability to get pretty much anything you need to do the job. What can I say I like to support the little guys of this world who arent out to rob us all blind.

http://www.randpcarriages.com/

Mpond, thank you for getting the old noodle working on this althought the wife is rolling her eyes at the thought of another project in the garage

2006 2DR LJ RUBICON UNLIMITED / Old Man Emu (OME) 2.5" HD Lift / ARB Quadratec Edition Front Stubby / LOD Signature Series Rear Bumper & T/C

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.
Unread 03-15-2013, 03:22 AM   #6
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Very cool, glad to help.

I've got many trailers in the family, and have a lot of experience with these WDH hitches, electric brake controllers, etc...

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 03-15-2013, 03:38 AM   #7
CaveyDM
Yup

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'll be sure and hit you up if I get stumped on anything. It may take me a month or so to get it all planned out and put together, but I'll post a build report on it as soon as its finished.

I need to do the same for the Jeep as well. Trying to set this profile thing up to do my part to contribute to the comunity.

Thanks again!

2006 2DR LJ RUBICON UNLIMITED / Old Man Emu (OME) 2.5" HD Lift / ARB Quadratec Edition Front Stubby / LOD Signature Series Rear Bumper & T/C

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
LouC
2007 WK 

I towed a 6x10 enclosed cargo trailer for my son's scout troop and the unloaded weight was only about 950 lbs according to the cert label. Fully loaded up it was probably about 2500 lbs. I don't think you need a WD hitch but good brakes are a must. You could use air bags in the rear coils of the Jeep if needed.

I towed this trailer with my 07 WK Hemi and it didn't even feel it, even though that trailer did not have brakes.

But for anyone towing one of these trailers loaded I'd strongly advise having electric trailer brakes. The LJ is rated for 3500bs, right? Then it would be right at the limit with one of those trailers. The LJ has brakes similar is size to my ZJ. I towed our boat twice without trailer brakes with the ZJ and (3800 lbs) it was not safe. I put a new axle and a pair of surge drum brakes on the boat trailer. Made a huge difference. The WK has much better brakes than the ZJ

Tags
trailer harness , trailer hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.