Feedback on a van - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Feedback on a van

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
grainofsalt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Feedback on a van

Well ladies and gentlemen, What do you think of this for a tow rig / work van?
I think it would be great for working in the "projects"

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/2145328983.html

Unread 01-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why would a rapist need an armored van?

lol jk... But really... why is it armored?
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
grainofsalt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Who knows, It's kind of overkill really...
Unread 01-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Its an old money tender for ATM's. They weigh too much to be useful for anything other than getting to work in South Central or equivalent.
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't take that and try to use to for any purpose. You'd be better off with something else of a standard van. If you look at cargo vans, you'll have a basis for converting to a usable toter/camping setup. Even one with seats. Any effort into that protective van will take lots more labor. Besides, the extra weight of the protection will eat a lot of the fuel up. There are lots of deals out there in the KC area.

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagular7 View Post
I wouldn't take that and try to use to for any purpose. You'd be better off with something else of a standard van. If you look at cargo vans, you'll have a basis for converting to a usable toter/camping setup. Even one with seats. Any effort into that protective van will take lots more labor. Besides, the extra weight of the protection will eat a lot of the fuel up. There are lots of deals out there in the KC area.
I agree with this^

Too bad I did not see this post a week ago. I just traded in a very very nice conversion van. Not sure if in the stick MO is close to bum**** MO but maybe we could have worked a deal.

The van you are loking at could be at or close to its max as far as what it could haul or tow.

I had a conversion van and the suspension, brakes, gearing, rear axle, alternator and other components had to be changed because of the conversion, who knows what has been done to the van you are looking at van to accommodate for its extra weight. My conversion added over a 1,000lbs to the weight of the vehicle. The conversion was done by a company called Elk, and they had provided the towing and equipment info for the conversion. If you don’t have that info you really don’t know what you are getting.

Even with the conversion my van was rated to tow 7200lbs and it made for an excellent tow vehicle. Without the conversion it was rated to tow just under 10K.

With the set up you are looking at how can you be sure what info you can get as far as what has been changed to support the weight or what it could tow. If you do not have this info it will be very difficult in some instances to get replacement parts or to really know what you can safely tow.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Its an old money tender for ATM's. They weigh too much to be useful for anything other than getting to work in South Central or equivalent.
Given the continued dialogue, I guess I should have expounded on this a little. An armored van (they make them up the road from where I live) is at its absolute maximum weight with a couple of thousand pounds of money and cops in it. It won't tow anything. The armor weighs as much as the van. They make that van so you can fire a 5.56mm round from an M16 into the doors at point blank range and not disturb anything. That is not a little sheet metal in the doors. Same for the hood and the top. It will be lucky to keep up in traffic and you will find yourself passed on hills by a fully loaded beer truck. Forget the van unless you want to prank your friends. It isn't any good for anything else.
Unread 01-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
grainofsalt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
An armored van (they make them up the road from where I live) is at its absolute maximum weight with a couple of thousand pounds of money and cops in it. It won't tow anything. The armor weighs as much as the van. They make that van so you can fire a 5.56mm round from an M16 into the doors at point blank range and not disturb anything. That is not a little sheet metal in the doors. Same for the hood and the top. It will be lucky to keep up in traffic and you will find yourself passed on hills by a fully loaded beer truck.
Hmm, really in a diesel? I was under the impression that they would have more usable power than the 15 passenger 351w van that I get to drive.

The real question that I had was how good are this era of diesel motor setup.
Unread 01-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Its a 7.3 diesel I assume which is a good engine although not much power. Lots of reliability. But your 15 passengers don't even make a dent in that armoring unless they are all Roseann Barr. Seriously, 3000 lbs of people is not close to the weight of the armoring. Just take it for a spin and see for yourself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.