F150 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > F150

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #31
aspjeepguy
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 212
I towed my YJ with a 1995 with a 302 automatic and I think 3.31 gears. It was 4wd extended cab. It did a fine job but it got 8mpg towing.

It will easily tow your junk.

__________________
04 TJ/Rubicon
SuperWinch EPi9.0, Tomken Winch Plate 3" BDS, JKS 1.25" body Lift
255x85R16 on Moabs Rear LOD Swing Away Tire Carrier and Bumper/Body Armor Front Bumper
B&M Short Throw, Rear Alloy USA Axle Shafts
aspjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #32
justanotherjpr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,336
You'll do fine
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #33
Bedwell
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 659
Thanks for everyones input, I have checked out the truck twice now. It definitely needs some work and the transmission has be replaced a few times so I may pass. (PO's may have overloaded it which I may run into the same problem.) I will do some researching and maybe investing in a newer truck with a warrenty/comfort features would be nice for DD. I do like the trailer and depending on what kind of deal we can make i may go ahead and pick it up. That way I have the trailer ready when I pick up a nice truck to tow.
Bedwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #34
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedwell View Post
Thanks for everyones input, I have checked out the truck twice now. It definitely needs some work and the transmission has be replaced a few times so I may pass. (PO's may have overloaded it which I may run into the same problem.) I will do some researching and maybe investing in a newer truck with a warrenty/comfort features would be nice for DD. I do like the trailer and depending on what kind of deal we can make i may go ahead and pick it up. That way I have the trailer ready when I pick up a nice truck to tow.
I would be happy with the era. You will find a really good gas fueled truck for a good price in that 1992-1997 era. I am very partial to the 351. More so than the 460. And, of course, the F250 is a better choice.

A 1997-2004 F series will cost twice as much for a truck in the same condition and miles, but they are a good looking rig. And, if you get a 7.3 diesel get a turbo - 99 on.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #35
Bedwell
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 659
Well the truck sold today, so back to the drawing board. Thank you for everyones responses.
Bedwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #36
IndyBlueWK
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Carmel, indiana
Posts: 1,139
Sorry guys I am not a vendor but I wish I was, I am just a guy who loves the company that he works for and loves to jeep..
IndyBlueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #37
ajmorell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico
Posts: 7,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
if you get a 7.3 diesel get a turbo - 99 on.
FYI 7.3's were turbo'd from 94 onward
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #38
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
FYI 7.3's were turbo'd from 94 onward
I stand corrected. I had a 99 and was thinking it was the first PSD.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #39
jose_p_adams
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 360
I towed my jeep with my 94 f150 with a 302 once. I got 6 mpg and the truck hated it. I see you decided not to get the truck but if you are still looking, I wouldn't recommend that era of F150 for towing a jeep based on my experience.
jose_p_adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #40
Bedwell
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by jose_p_adams View Post
I towed my jeep with my 94 f150 with a 302 once. I got 6 mpg and the truck hated it. I see you decided not to get the truck but if you are still looking, I wouldn't recommend that era of F150 for towing a jeep based on my experience.
I think I am going to get a newer truck that I will enjoy for many years instead of an old beater.
Bedwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #41
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedwell View Post
I think I am going to get a newer truck that I will enjoy for many years instead of an old beater.
I urge you to discard consideration of the model year and look only to mileage and condition. I have seen 2011 trucks I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole and 94 rigs that will run for another decade or more.

Modern truck conveniences start in 1999 or so, and really become cushy in 2004 and thereafter. But that doesn't make them better trucks.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.