Ever Checked your Tongue Weight on Jeep Hauler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Ever Checked your Tongue Weight on Jeep Hauler?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ever Checked your Tongue Weight on Jeep Hauler?

I wonder how many have ever taken the time to determine their car haulers tongue weight?
I say this because it seems to me I see too many longish car haulers with the Jeep too far forward.

I never paid much attention with my Goose Neck or my light trailers but after buying a 2100 lb, 18" utility trailer, I started to get concerned about too much weight on the hitch...... exceeding the weakest link in my towing setup.

I found a cool website that shows how to get tongue weight on a bathroom scale.
Sure enough I was over loading my drop hitch. Towed great but not what I wanted to be doing.

Any one else weighed their trailer tongue..... Or even concerned about tongue weight??

RJ

RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The best way to check tongue weight requires only four friends or three really big friends and a yardstick.

Attach trailer and measure height of bottom of hitch receiver from ground. Remove trailer and get friends to stand on rear bumper until same distance from ground. Add weight of friends for tongue weight. Reposition load for correct tongue weight which for most trailer/Jeep loads is 450-600 pounds to start with.

And, any sensible person is concerned about tongue weight.
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The best way to check tongue weight requires only four friends or three really big friends and a yardstick.
Tried that first!
Suspect it works on a 1500 Pick up.
But my 2500 diesel long bed, with a towing suspension only settles so far, onto the overload spring....
until you get WAY over gross!

Agree, Any sensible person SHOULD be concerned about tongue weight. But after asking several of my club members how they determine where to place the jeep on their 18' or 20' trailers, I'm not so sure!
Most common response I get..... 1/2 to 3/4 of Wrangler in front of axles and judge by feel from there.

I used this system; See method 2........HERE

This position, with 150 lb tool box on front, gives me 12% of trailers 6100 lbs. on tongue........
trailer-jeep.jpg

Unread 09-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I suggest to the careless that when they find a proper location of their rig on the trailer they slide a 2x4 in behindor in front of the front tire and nail or bolt it in place so they can end up there dependably each time.
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

i always have just gone by feel. on my 0ld 1500 truck i would pull on to the trailer till i got a 2-3" drop in the truck, usually rear tires at the rear of the trailer fenders and continue to load this way even with my f350, though it does not squat at all when loading like this.

on the goose neck, no choice on it as i usually have two rigs when towing it so one is all the way forward in order to fit the second.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
...... slide a 2x4 in behindor in front of the front tire and nail or bolt it in place so they can end up there dependably each time.
Love this idea. Drive up to, or over it, back up to it (like a chock) and you are there!!
Like most, I've been using a mark on the decking. Not after Saturday!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.