Eplumer400's free trailer restoration/build thread - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-24-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
eplumer400
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So last week my girlfriends dad allowed to give me his old trailer that he hasn't really used in years. The last time it was used was last August when we replaced the shingles on his shed and we threw the old ones in there. Unfortunately we never cleaned them out, and he wanted to get the trailer out of his yard. So it was free as long as I disposed of the singles.

So last weekend I hooked it up to the jeep and drove it home! The tires had gone flat and were barely holding air, but I made it home okay. I've had a lot going on since then, but since tomorrow is bulk trash day, I made the time to get it emptied. My dad had taken a few out a couple days ago but my brother and I got the rest today.

The plan is to strip it down to the frame, wire brush it clean and paint it with either rustoleum or por-15, then replace the deck with water sealed wood and do the same for the sides. I also plan on cleaning up the wiring and mounting the lights a little better.

So here's what I started with, and after the trailer was cleaned out.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-26-2016, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
eplumer400
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Took the sides off yesterday and took the measurements needed to replace the sides. I'm leaving the deck on for now because I need something to haul our lawn tractor to the repair shop and having sides on it will make that lots more difficult.

I also decided that on the bottom deck when it gets replaced will be with pressure treated slats instead of one large piece of plywood. This way there will be some tiny cracks for water to seep out of and so the wood will last a lot longer, even though I plan on water sealing it.

So the next step is going to be starting to strip the paint off and cleaning the frame up and prepare for a fresh coat of paint.
Attached Images

post #3 of 3 Old 03-27-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
eplumer400
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Bought paint stripper and a few cans of paint and primer for the frame and got started on the stripping. Turns out the trailer was blue and green before it was brown. Made some progress on getting it stripped and primed and painted the front left post. Probably shouldn't have actually painted the post yet because now I'll have to mask off where I painted when I get to prime some more.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.