E350 van wandering on the highway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > E350 van wandering on the highway

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

E350 van wandering on the highway

I got this van, class B camper, a little while ago and it runs great and drives fine but at highway speed it tends to wander. I know normally bad toe in can cause this and I plan to take it in for an alignment but my gut tells me it's something else because there is no sign of abnormal tire wear.

I did a little reading online and there is talk of air bags and add on sway bars but I would like to get more info. The behaviour is a little more noticeable while towing but does it just driving as well.

This is my first Ford. Anyone with ford experience with thoughts.

Thanks

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

Have you thought of putting on a firestone air sping kit front and rear?
IndyBlueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Since the original posting I got the front aligned, put on heavier shocks and added a steering stabilizer. All that made a pretty big difference.

Also, I noticed it wanders less if the water tanks are empty so thinking the rear must be sagging a little. It does not really look low but it has almost certainly dropped an inch or two in 20 years.

THX
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Did you increase the tire width? That will usually cause it to wander. They look a little wide in the photo. Also, if those tires are sized right, are they rated right? Sometimes, we buy tires that are the right size but not the right weight rating. Those two things (and alignment) are usually the cause of wander.
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Stock size and rating from the door sticker. I'll probably do either air bags or a helper spring.
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
RNMedic

not sure on the 350 but does it have radius arm front end?? if so check the bushings at the frame ends.
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMedic View Post
not sure on the 350 but does it have radius arm front end?? if so check the bushings at the frame ends.
It does, and replaced when doing the alignment.

As I mentioned earlier the wandering is a lot less with 300 pounds less weight so I'm pretty sure raising the back a little is my next step. I could put all new springs on for not a lot of money or get the air bags for about $300.

Going camping this coming weekend and I'l try it with the water tank only half full and see how it goes.

THX
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
It does, and replaced when doing the alignment.

As I mentioned earlier the wandering is a lot less with 300 pounds less weight so I'm pretty sure raising the back a little is my next step. I could put all new springs on for not a lot of money or get the air bags for about $300.

Going camping this coming weekend and I'l try it with the water tank only half full and see how it goes.

THX
typically water tanks are best empty or full, so there is no sloshing around. but it sounds like you had them full before? if you plan on springs or airbags, id go airbags. i plan on eventually adding them to my 350. also, is your yj on a towbar? if so, whats the angle like on it?
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRyans33 View Post
typically water tanks are best empty or full, so there is no sloshing around. but it sounds like you had them full before? if you plan on springs or airbags, id go airbags. i plan on eventually adding them to my 350. also, is your yj on a towbar? if so, whats the angle like on it?
They are always full going out and maybe 1/2 coming home ( I start with 40 gallons) Last trip out I emptied them before driving home so there was appx. 200-300 lbs less.
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

OK, so Intervec RV's converted a bunch or E350 cutaways. Who put the sticker on the door? Intervec? That thing has every opportunity to act like a sail with that wind fin on the top and have tail wagging from the way it hangs over the back end. So it is a "falcon" sticker on the door? 300 pounds of water aren't going to mean anything. That is anecdotal and I'd urge you to look elsewhere.

I see a flat tow in the photo. Is that involved?

I have had several E350's including a cutaway. They are not nearly as effective as their load rating would indicate. That set up looks a bit piggish to me. No offense intended but the weight of that thing may be too much for an aging E350.
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRyans33 View Post

Nice flat angle and there is virtually no tongue weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
OK, so Intervec RV's converted a bunch or E350 cutaways. Who put the sticker on the door? Intervec? That thing has every opportunity to act like a sail with that wind fin on the top and have tail wagging from the way it hangs over the back end. So it is a "falcon" sticker on the door? 300 pounds of water aren't going to mean anything. That is anecdotal and I'd urge you to look elsewhere.

I see a flat tow in the photo. Is that involved?
Not sure about the sticker, but the computer at costco agreed with the tire size for an E-350 van so I'm sure the size is fine. Load E.

300# should not really matter, but there was definately an imporovement without it. There is really not much weight, considering the rated capacity, but the springs are 20+ years old and who knows what the previous owner(s) did with it.

thx
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Update:

I got a set of firestone air bags, about $260 for the full kit shipped form Amazon.

HUGE improvement. 90% or the wandering is gone and I feel much more in control. I found that a small difference in the amount of air makes a significant difference in handling. Right now I have about 60#, which gives about a 3 inch boost but I have to experiment a little more.

Thinking the next item might be a helwig sway bar. This thing is like a big wind sail but it still seems to get pushed by passing vehicles more that it should considering it's pretty heavy.
Unread 02-22-2012, 05:38 AM   #13
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

This is why I love my job, please if you have any qustions about the kit or need any help with it please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-888-0650 and ask for Tyler,,, I am not a vendor just a guy that llikes to jeep and loves his job..

IndyBlueWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.