Duramax EGR block plate and perf mods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Duramax EGR block plate and perf mods

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 04-09-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
Jeepinty
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Duramax EGR block plate and perf mods

Ive got a 2006 duramax that just rolled 100k and ive been reading up a bit on performance mode and blocking off the egr keeps popping up. Has anyone here done this mod and does it help performance any or is it simply a measure to protect the engine from buildup?

Ive also been reading up on controllers and although most people recommend EFI live it seems more extreme than I want to go. I'm leaning towards the edge programmer for a little more power along with the monitoring capabilities and ability to adjust for my tire size.

Any thoughts about them? I am more worried about reliability than racing deisel ricers.

Jeepinty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
USMCredneck
1979 CJ5 

Check out duramaxforum.com. All the info you will need is there.

The reason everyone recommends EFI is because it has a proven track record of reliability and ease of use. You don't have to get the extreme tunes, there are various tunes available from heavy and light towing tunes, economy tunes, valet tunes, etc. Also, while Edge has good tuning, their tunes are made to run on MANY different trucks. EFI tunes are made specifically for your truck. You tell them what mods you have or are planning to get, tire size, etc and you have custom tunes built just for your truck. As for monitoring, EFI is compatible with the Edge insight, which will give you all the guages and what not you are looking for.

I personally have an edge evolution CS in my 01 duramax, but I am budgeting for EFI soon.
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
turnebr
1980 CJ7 

what ever you do if its horsepower your looking for make sure your engine can breath..... my buddy bought a duramax and put the efi live on it and was playing with it and used it to pull his pulling tractor ended up blowing a head gasket because there was too much back pressure in his stock exhaust so unless you already have a 4 inch exhaust id look into a full system (turbo back) having a dpf (diesel particulate filter) delete would help it breath better also
turnebr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnebr View Post
what ever you do if its horsepower your looking for make sure your engine can breath..... my buddy bought a duramax and put the efi live on it and was playing with it and used it to pull his pulling tractor ended up blowing a head gasket because there was too much back pressure in his stock exhaust so unless you already have a 4 inch exhaust id look into a full system (turbo back) having a dpf (diesel particulate filter) delete would help it breath better also
Any warning of the sort would apply to all 07 and up emission equipped diesels be it powerstroke, duramax or cummins. There is a definite limit for adding power with the dpf system in place. Most dpf delete kits include a dpf replacement pipe with a programmer. Its worth it just to get your fuel mileage back. As for blowing a head gasket, sounds like he went a little too wild for the stock build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
HowIRoll
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepinty View Post
Ive got a 2006 duramax that just rolled 100k and ive been reading up a bit on performance mode and blocking off the egr keeps popping up. Has anyone here done this mod and does it help performance any or is it simply a measure to protect the engine from buildup?

Ive also been reading up on controllers and although most people recommend EFI live it seems more extreme than I want to go. I'm leaning towards the edge programmer for a little more power along with the monitoring capabilities and ability to adjust for my tire size.

Any thoughts about them? I am more worried about reliability than racing deisel ricers.
I deal with soley Duramax diesels, anywhere from guys who haul over the road with them to guys who want 3 digit trap speeds. Here are the must haves for the 2006 LBZ. (Great choice by the way. LBZs are amazing animals, they will run hard and never complain. We recently ran an LBZ for 2 years running custom EFI Live tunes that I wrote in the 12's and still to this day it runs like its brand new. Trans is now upgraded tho, 12's were a little excessive for a stock trans.)

1. Intake. (this thing is massive!)
AFE 5" Full Metal Tube
Part No: F1-04003

2. Exhaust. (you can't beat how this sounds.)
5" MBRP w/ no muffler
Part No: S6020PLM

3. EFI Live AutoCal DSP 5 tuning
Part No: EFI-LBZ-AUTOCAL
With the LBZ (actually 04.5 and newer), you can tune in an engine brake. All of the hard parts are already there to run just like a 2011 Dmax, just have to tune in the program for it. I get about 19-20 city and 21-22 on the highway running my custom tunes.

4. No need for an EGR plate. You can physically close the EGR valve with EFI Live so unless you want to run high boost pressures for racing/competion there is no need for it.

I hope that helps you out!

http://longhornfabshop.com/
HowIRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.