double towing - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > double towing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 07-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #16
Markie5150
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I used to tow my Seadoos with no problem, but once I got my Jeep, that's a bit more weight pulling and pushing. I had a weld shop weld on (not bolt) the receiver to my trailer and made sure it was structurally sound to handle the weight. I also utilize a supplementary braking system (brake buddy). I wired in a camera system to the rear of my 5th wheel to keep an eye on what's going on while towing.

Make sure the tow bar is level and read your manual on how to tow your specific vehicle. RV.net is an excellent source for info on RV's and towing. Lastly, the point is to get to your destination safely, so even though my truck has the power to go 75+mph towing, I keep it at or under 65mph max.

Markie5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #17
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I will just leave this right here...

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 02:48 AM   #18
blue02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When i had my 05 Hemi GC I flat towed the TJ a few times. It pulled great and i auctually got better millage in the GC pulling my TJ then I did driving my TJ. My only complaint was I wish the TJ had brakes when towing it.

I was looking at 5th wheels this past week and just dont know if I would want to tow double. But if i go that route is their any reason I coudnt use a 16' low boy trailer to tow the jeep behind the 5th?
blue02tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #19
my73CJ
1973 CJ5 

I have flat towed my CJ5 behind my GC w/Hemi and stopping it is an issue and taking corners too quick it can really pull the GC around. There are ridges in the roads here due to semi's sitting on them during the summer and when flat towing I would get pulled back and forth, so much so I bought a trailer, it was just to hard traveling like that. The Hemi has plenty of power to pull but the GC is just a bit to light
my73CJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #20
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my73CJ View Post
I have flat towed my CJ5 behind my GC w/Hemi and stopping it is an issue and taking corners too quick it can really pull the GC around. There are ridges in the roads here due to semi's sitting on them during the summer and when flat towing I would get pulled back and forth, so much so I bought a trailer, it was just to hard traveling like that. The Hemi has plenty of power to pull but the GC is just a bit to light
I wonder what the weight difference is between your GC Hemi and my Suburban 2500 8.1L... I normally tow my LJ with my RV, but a few times I've gone on 100+ mile trips with the LJ in tow behind my Suburban 2500, and haven't had any of the issues you described. The 3/4 ton brakes were great, and the Jeep didn't push the back of the Suburban around at all while braking or cornering.

I had my Suburban weighed, and it's just below 7000 lbs. Do you know what your GC Hemi's weight is?
Unread 09-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie5150

Lastly, the point is to get to your destination safely, so even though my truck has the power to go 75+mph towing, I keep it at or under 65mph max.
65 is a great idea, ST tires on trailers have a 65mph speed rating.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #22
my73CJ
1973 CJ5 

My GC is around 4800 lbs, much lighter than the Suburban. I now tow the jeep on a 14 ft auto trailer and it works great alot more stabile. Hoping to head out to Moab in a yr or two.
my73CJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #23
Hillbilly88
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have pulled a tj behind. Full size truck and had a double jet skie trailer with 2 big sea doos on it and didnt have a problem i woundnt think a lil boat would be a problem
Hillbilly88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #24
lcichon
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What about this situation?

Okay guys, so I have a 2004 F-150 Lariat with the 5.4L engine and can tow 8K lbs. I recently flat towed my 2002 TJ to Moab and it was nothing. I also have a 7x14' V-nose cargo trailer with electric trailer brakes that I'm considering converting to a travel trailer bunkhouse. Total weight of the converted trailer is expected to be around 3K lbs. The TJ weighs 3300 lbs. At first I was thinking of towing the TJ behind the trailer, but the cargo trailer doesn't have a good place to add a hitch on the back and it would be real low. Could I get a beefy hitch for the TJ and tow the trailer behind the TJ and get a wiring extension so the lights and trailer brakes worked? There won't be any tongue weight on the F-150 and I would try to minimize the tongue weight on the TJ by placing most of the weight over the cargo trailer's axle (single). But I regularly drive over the mountains from Denver to Moab. Thoughts and advice?

Thanks,

Lee
lcichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #25
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcichon
Okay guys, so I have a 2004 F-150 Lariat with the 5.4L engine and can tow 8K lbs. I recently flat towed my 2002 TJ to Moab and it was nothing. I also have a 7x14' V-nose cargo trailer with electric trailer brakes that I'm considering converting to a travel trailer bunkhouse. Total weight of the converted trailer is expected to be around 3K lbs. The TJ weighs 3300 lbs. At first I was thinking of towing the TJ behind the trailer, but the cargo trailer doesn't have a good place to add a hitch on the back and it would be real low. Could I get a beefy hitch for the TJ and tow the trailer behind the TJ and get a wiring extension so the lights and trailer brakes worked? There won't be any tongue weight on the F-150 and I would try to minimize the tongue weight on the TJ by placing most of the weight over the cargo trailer's axle (single). But I regularly drive over the mountains from Denver to Moab. Thoughts and advice?

Thanks,

Lee
I think you're asking for trouble with a configuration like that. If the cargo trailer gets any sort of sway going, is going to push the TJ around. And with no tongue weight on the truck, the whole rig could get unstable very quickly at highway speeds.
Unread 11-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
Indy

I think you'll be dead in a ditch surround by flaming car and trailer the first time you have a panic stop Just going downhill will likely make a neat pyramid shape in the middle of your drivers seat.

Tongue weight is IMPORTANT. I used to tow my samurai to and from trails, both trailered and flat. Even though the trailer weighed a ton (figurative) it was easier and more controllable than flat towing the light vehicle. As you stop the tongue weight helps among other things, keeping pressure on your rear tires. Flat tow, no tongue weight you just have an extra several thousand pounds trying to push through your vehicle. If your tow rig is heavy enough, it might not matter that much. An f150 isn't heavy enough to not matter.

The way most tow bars are set up on a hard stop you may actually have the flat tow putting upwards pressure actually reducing weight and on the tow vehicle. Plus it will be fishtailing like crazy.

So then strap a cargo trailer behind the vehicle that has too short a wheelbase to actually tow with and is overloaded by the weight of the trailer and what you basically have is an extra 8k+ pounds of weight being flat towed with an extra hinge in the middle, being pulled by a vehicle that is at/near/over tow capacity to start with. Besides being likely several kinds of illegal it would likely only go ok by pure luck.

I've towed a boat with on my of YJ's even though it was under weight, and tongue weight was 'proper' it was a total nightmare going downhill. It was scary if you were on flatground and had to stop quickly. It was several magnitude of sucking.

What I'm aiming at here: Doing the truck/jeep/trailer thing is a bad idea.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #27
Indy

Also going to throw in that the frame of most light trailers aren't set up to tow anything. They're meant to be towed with weight on top of the axles, adding a 'stretching' force like another vehicle behind it and it will probably start distorting.

And don't forget, when you flat tow you can NEVER go in reverse without an extra set of hands steering the towed vehicle. Learned that the hard and scary way.

Way too many people equate going straight on flat ground as being 'controled' and 'no problem'. I can move a house in a straight line with a garden tractor (properly equipped). Stopping that setup on the interstate (making up an interstate worthy garden tractor here) would probably make me convert to several religions all at once.

Its stopping safely, not going, that's important.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #28
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Triple towing is legal in some states, illegal in more, and stupid in every state.
Unread 11-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #29
lcichon
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Those are all really good points. I just won't do it. I'll have a buddy tow one. Thanks!
lcichon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.