Does anybodys tow with a cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Does anybodys tow with a cherokee

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
kidsthesedays

Does anybodys tow with a cherokee

I bought a xj looking to hunt in it but I also need it to tow a camper does anyone else tow with there's long distances

kidsthesedays is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
dwzook
1995 XJ Cherokee 

it doesn't pull a car trailer and a nissan 240sx very well! lol had to tow my friend back from a town like 2 hours away. couldn't go past 55 without it feeling VERY unstable, and running pretty hot. if your camper is anywhere around 5000+lbs, the don't do it. If it's below that, should do fine.
dwzook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had a 01 grand and a 3k camper. I dumped the grand within the year, it sucked as a tow vehicle for my camper. Before that I pulled a cargo trailer loaded with about 2500 lbs about 1800 miles (it didn't stick above the jeep) and the grand did fine.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
smittyboy
2004 WJ 

I got an 04 wj and I typically tow 2 jetskis everywhere with the only issue is getting a small bounce from the short wheel base. Towing is fine but not always comfortable
smittyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
Indy

Ive flat towed m samurai, wasnt fun. Towed a douple pop up campers, no problems. Ho4.7 with tow package.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Ive flat towed m samurai, wasnt fun. Towed a douple pop up campers, no problems. Ho4.7 with tow package.
Unless you did a motor swap, that was a grand cherokee

I would not tow anything over 2k with an XJ.
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
Indy

Ya 2004 gc so worthless info to the op . There is a big difference in the amount of noise you get from the hitch with a framed truck vs the unibody. It took some getting used to.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 03:51 AM   #8
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A Cherokee (XJ) with the 4.0L IL6 and a full tow package including electric brake kit, trans cooler, HD cooling and the appropriate hitch is rated to tow 5000# IIRC. I would however NOT tow 5000# with mine, but I do tow a camping trailer that loaded is rated at around 2700#. It tows it like a champ, stops great and never breaks a sweat.

I say 3500# is a comfortable maximum. It can pull a lot more, but stopping becomes an issue as well as sway. I would NOT tow anything over 1500-2000# without electric brakes that work well. Oh and the tongue weight I believe is limited to 300#, but that is a lot for an XJ.

Proper loading is key, as is suspension setup. Towing 2000# with an XJ with the trailer improperly loaded on stock suspension will be a handful to say the least. If you are hauling a trailer for camping, and it falls within those guidelines, you should be GTG. As always, make sure your XJ is up to the task...

Cooling
Trans Cooler (manual can tow less than the auto)
brakes
engine
Diffs (requires heavier synthetic fluid)
etc

Your owners manual has most of this in there for your reading pleasure.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
MoZee

I tow a 12 foot pop up with mine. It's not terrible

forumrunner_20121129_000704.jpg

Camper weighs about 2k pounds
MoZee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.