Does anybody haul their Jeep on a flatbed truck? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Does anybody haul their Jeep on a flatbed truck?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Does anybody haul their Jeep on a flatbed truck?

I've got a new-to-me tow rig that has a utility box on the back at the moment. I've already acquired a regular dually bed for it, but I keep wondering if I shouldn't put on a flatbed and haul the Jeep that way. These are the pros and cons of each setup that I've run through my head. What am I overlooking?

Regular bed:
- Easier to haul some stuff... dirt, rocks, groceries, smaller items
- Already have one, but it is a different color so paint would be in my near future
- Would need a trailer to haul the Jeep, meaning another item to purchase, license, insure, maintain, etc
- Would need to buy a camper if I wanted to camp in comfort, another item to purchase, license, insure, maintain, etc
- Would be able to haul a gooseneck

9' Flatbed:
- Don't have one, so I'd have to buy it, but selling the other bed would offset ~1/2 the cost
- Would be able to haul a gooseneck
- Would need to fab up some sort of detachable 2' dovetail or extensions so the Jeep would fit on there
- Would be able to haul the Jeep and tow a camp trailer for camping in comfort. My parents have a trailer that sees little use and they beg me to use it, so no extra expense there
- How long and heavy would those ramps have to be to load/unload the Jeep?? I could find some inclines for loading and unloading to help out, but still...

11' Flatbed:
- Don't have, would have to buy
- Would hold the Jeep without having to be modified with extensions or dovetail
- Would not be able to haul a gooseneck safely unless I adjust the wheelbase and relocated the rear axle... quite a bit of work and expense there
- Same as the 9' flatbed when it comes to pulling the trailer and loading/unloading the Jeep
- It's a crew cab truck, so adding an 11' flatbed = looooooooong

Curious what your thoughts are, especially from those that have or have seen a Jeep hauled on a flatbed before.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

BTW I've seen the guys that haul them on Volvos and other nearly-semi truck setups. Very cool, but not exactly apples to apples with what I've got in mind. My truck is an F450 on 19.5" wheels so not a really low flatbed setup like some of those.
Unread 02-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

If you do a flatbed setup with the truck your thinking of you will have issues with weight distribution. The F450 isn't a long truck even less depending on the cab type.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
BTW I've seen the guys that haul them on Volvos and other nearly-semi truck setups. Very cool, but not exactly apples to apples with what I've got in mind. My truck is an F450 on 19.5" wheels so not a really low flatbed setup like some of those.
I assume that you have seen my Volvo flatbed. (See What kind of tow rig do you have above).

Of course, capacity is the most important thing. On a rig with a GVWR capacity of 10,000 or more over the weight of the rig itself, it makes no difference how long the bed is or where you put the Jeep on it. the 4000 pound load will be fine anywhere.

I will probably sell my Volvo to a person who really needs to haul something weighing 20,000 lb and build a new one. This time it will be a cab and chassis with just steel ramps over the wheelhouse and dovetailing at the rear. That way, I can still buy a rig for $5000 or so that will have a Cat or Cummins and an Allison six speed. And, all the amenities.

Really its the only way to go if you are gonna have a dedicated tow rig.

For that F450, I'd toss both of those beds and just put ramps over the wheel house and parallel to the frame from front to back with dovetail ramps.
Unread 02-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have seen your Volvo I was thinking of that rig when I made the second post I figured this is a little bit different than your setup.

I don't remember the GVWR offhand, but I do know that curb weight of the truck plus the weight of the Jeep would still be a couple thousand pounds below the rating.

Interesting idea of just having the ramps on there, but I do regularly sneak over to my dad's house to steal his truck so I can haul stuff around. I need to have this thing be able to handle other regular "truck" duties besides hauling the Jeep...
Unread 02-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I have seen your Volvo I was thinking of that rig when I made the second post I figured this is a little bit different than your setup.

I don't remember the GVWR offhand, but I do know that curb weight of the truck plus the weight of the Jeep would still be a couple thousand pounds below the rating.

Interesting idea of just having the ramps on there, but I do regularly sneak over to my dad's house to steal his truck so I can haul stuff around. I need to have this thing be able to handle other regular "truck" duties besides hauling the Jeep...
It should have a gvwr of 16,000 minimum, and as a cab and chassis I'm guessing it weighs about 6000. Now the ramps are not inconsistent with a flat deck between the wheels. Just sayin.
Unread 02-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I guess I'm not picturing the same thing in my mind that you are talking about

Are there any images online that would show me what you're talking about?
Unread 02-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I guess I'm not picturing the same thing in my mind that you are talking about

Are there any images online that would show me what you're talking about?
No, I'm sorry, none at hand.

The frame on an F450 is like a ladder. Think of a flat bed on the ladder but between the wheels.

Then ramps parallel to the ladder with a hump over the wheels. Our off road rigs have the clearance to navigate the ups and downs.

I guess I could draw it and scan it to a jpg file. I'll see.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.