Diesel VS Gas cost - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Diesel VS Gas cost

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Kris_Kris
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Diesel VS Gas cost

As a fleet operator I receive the Business Fleet Magazine. This months issue had a detailed comparison report on the title topic. The diesel cars out performed their gas counter parts. The diesel trucks did not do as well. The 3/4 ton diesel trucks cost $.09 more per mile than gas after 3 years and $.04 per mile more after 5 years. This is at 20,000 miles per year. At that rate, the average person would have to own their diesel truck 12 years before they would start saving any money by driving a diesel. See the related links below.

http://www.businessfleet.com/fc_reso...ayback-web.pdf

Gas, Hybrid and Diesel: A Lifecycle Cost Analysis - Business Fleet

Last edited by Kris_Kris; 08-09-2010 at 05:25 PM..
Kris_Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Indy

Ya. I like diesels but as often as I tow the cost is bad. I can be irritated a bit with a gasser from time to time vs paying more initially and more at the pump. Locally diesel is about .30 more a gallon than gas, so the truck would have to get quite a bit better gas mileage to even break even at that point.

If I towed a lot it would be a different story.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Jake03TJ

2003 TJ Wrangler 

This used to be the opposite, but all of this emissions bs, ultra low sulfur diesels, and the horsepower wars killed the benefits to owning diesels.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." Major General James Mattis, USMC

"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!" Thomas Jefferson
Jake03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
horatio102
Web Wheeler

That's counting on 22 mpg highway for the Cummins, 18 for the Hemi??? And 24mpg highway for the Duramax?

:lol:

I'd like to meet the guy who gets those numbers on a consistent basis. When I bought my 08 the overhead said the average MPG was 10.4 mpg

Having said that, after doing the DPF/EGR deletes and slapping a tuner on it, I can get 20-22 or higher at constant cruising on the freeway, but combined isn't going to be near that.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.