diesel mileage - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > diesel mileage

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #31
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
No foam in my 2001...looks good to me.

However, the OP is looking at (Chebby) Duramax. What does anti-foam in a 7.3 (Ferd) mean at the moment????
It's not about visible foam... there were coolant cavitation issues that could cause cylinder wall erosion in the 7.3s if additives were neglected.
Maybe the OP will buy a duramax, maybe he will look at another ford - just pointing out a possible issue with high mileage diesels - how did this become off topic?

wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #32
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I didn't intend to say it was off topic, but reading over what I typed, I guess I did...sorry about that.

I'm thinking I should look into this additive for my 7.3 - that's the first I've heard of it.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #33
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I sold my '97 years ago, but from what I remember the additive was supposed to be checked and/or added every 15k miles. The dealer has test strips to check the concentration.

a search on 'powerstroke coolant cavitation' should bring up lots of info.
Unread 05-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #34
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That additive was needed in the older body style trucks (OBS). The newer superduty trucks use a different coolent that has it already added so it won't be needed for the 99+ trucks.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #35
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Now we're getting off topic

Great info though - thanks guys.

Where's your truck Ionakana??? Has it called you yet?????

Unread 05-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #36
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I guess this would fit in this topic.

My dads getting old, and he wants to get a car. He says it's a smoother ride, and he will like the MPG's better. He currently has a mint 1997 Ford F250 7.3 Stroker. No frame rust, no body rust, no rust at all. Interior is clean, he doesn't smoke. Truck is 100% stock. It has 114k miles on it. Does this sound like a good truck? I know near nothing about diesel engines except the fact that they last forever. How many miles should i be able to expect out of? Any known problems? How much would you pay for it?

Here's some picture of it. (You can also see my latest toy in the bed of it; a 1999 Artic Cat ZR-700.

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #37
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice truck. Mine was a '97. That mileage is nothing if it's been taken care of. Check the service history (including the coolant additive).
I drove mine to the arctic circle and back and it never let me down. Also check the front ball joints... mine went out very early, maybe due to carrying a camper.
Unread 05-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #38
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

114k isn't even broken in - go for it!

Unread 05-31-2012, 06:13 AM   #39
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I bought another F250 last night. It's a 99 4x4 7.3 6-spd manual with 163K on the clock. Exacly what I wanted, cloth seats and the rubber floor. The only thing it doesn't have that I want is power mirrors. The PO upgraded the mirrors to a newer model, they have the turn signals in them and they are heated. They need the wiring connected which should be easy enough. I don't know if they are power mirrors or not though. It also has a DP tuner and is straight piped, it's not loud in the cabin but loud outside, the hood isn't going to like that at 4:00am when I start it up. I don't care for it either so I'm going to put a muffler back on it. Is there a muffler that is quiet that won't increase the back pressure to much?
img_8834.jpg   img_1827.jpg  

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #40
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Anybody use fuel additives because of the low sulfur diesel? If so, what do you run?

Unread 06-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #41
IndyBlueWK
2005 WK 

have you thought about putting air bags on the back to help the ride and help for towing?
IndyBlueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #42
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

2cycle oil tcw3 rating. 1oz per gallon. And the muffler has little to do with how loud that truck is gonna be. All the muffler will do actually is muffle out the turbo whine when it spools.
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Unread 06-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #43
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is 2 cycle oil better than the fuel additives that supposedly have something to replace the sulfur? I bought some stuff redline makes. I'll try the 2 cycle oil, sounds cheaper than the bottle stuff. This truck is loud, I'm going to install a muffler because anything to make it any quieter will help. My neighbor said I woke him up the other morning, he lives down the street so I know the ones next to me were probably pissed.

As far as air bags go, I have a weight distribution hitch, mo better than air bags in my opinion.

Unread 06-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #44
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drix View Post
2cycle oil tcw3 rating. 1oz per gallon. And the muffler has little to do with how loud that truck is gonna be. All the muffler will do actually is muffle out the turbo whine when it spools.
exhaust wise the muffler will quieten it down considerably. thats kinda the whole point of a muffler. granted, the turbo itself does muffle much of the exhaust noise but still, a decent muffler will lower the DB output without restricting flow much either.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #45
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered

exhaust wise the muffler will quieten it down considerably. thats kinda the whole point of a muffler. granted, the turbo itself does muffle much of the exhaust noise but still, a decent muffler will lower the DB output without restricting flow much either.
Having a 7.3 that was straight piped the only noticeable thing is the turbo whistle. Granted it might quite down a little but considerably would be a stretch.
USMC Jeep Club #6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.