diesel mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > diesel mileage

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

How many miles is to much for a 95 Powerstroke? I found a 95 with 220k on it for $6500.00. It looks like its in good shape and needs nothing. Anything I should look for or be ready to replace soon?

Also found a 02 duramax with around 190k that needs injectors for $10k. It runs fine but showing signs that they're needed soon. Everything else looks good but not really looking to spend $3k on injectors.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

150K on my 2001 F-250 7.3, and I'm looking at HPOP rings, up-pipe rings and fuel bowl drain valve, but that's it.

Mine did get a new trans shortly before I bought it though. How's the trans on the 95?
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The guy has an offer on the 95 with a handshake to hold it for another week. I drove an 01 dodge 2500 4x4 diesel last night with 220k on it. The trans was rebuilt around 200k along with new bearings in the rear end. The truck is nice, it doesn't have the 53 block either. What scares me is it has a power steering leak and some oil leaks. I'm sure that's a couple thousand dollars in repairs and the steering felt loose. He blamed that on the leaf spring suspension but I don't know if I buy that. Other than that I loved the truck, it ran great and was strong. I'm trying to find somebody close to check it out quick, he has another offer and is ready to sell.

Unread 04-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That powerstroke has plenty of life left in the motor. The rest of the truck however will need some tlc. International powerstrokes are well known to make it to 500,000. We have 2 in our fleet that have over 350,000 and run great. I personally wouldn't buy a 95 but that's just me. If you like the looks of it then I'm sure it'll be great for years to come. And I highly recommend the old powerstroke over the duramax
Jon-joN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't read that you drove the dodge. The cummins motor is legendary and would be great. The truck itself won't make it as long
As that motor will. Ide go with the dodge if it were up to me, but that would depend on $$ and what all is wrong with it.

Why can't ford get a deal with cummins? That'd be the best light/medium duty truck on the market
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
Indy

The cummins is a 500k mile engine in a 50k mile truck.
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The Dodge front suspension has been converted to leafs, why would someone do that?

I'm going to bypass these trucks but I did find a 99 f250 powerstroke 4x4 with 160k for the same price. I'll be looking at it tomorrow.

Unread 04-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

10k for a 99 powerstroke with 160 on it is pretty good. but as always dont just settle for something. make sure its what you want, test drive them all even if you dont have the money in hand. get a feel for each of them. i got lucky and found exactly what i wanted a 2003 f-250 ex cab 4x4 with the 7.3, had only 92,000 and i paid 15k for it. no rust anywhere! make sure you check the bed supports and rear corners as theyre very common rust places. 23 out of the 30 fords i looked at when i was shopping for one was rusted in those few places
Unread 05-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I went with the 99 F250. It's bone stock except for the exhaust, it has a 4" exhaust with no muffler. Think I'm going to add a COI and programmer.

5n75o65j63k23if3h5c4n12694fcc88711a8d.jpg

5e35f75jb3ke3m23hec4t2300076d19ae1fd7.jpg

Unread 05-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's awesome man, you should be happy with that. I have a dp tuner 4 position chip with tunes on it for sale if you would be interested. You can research dp or Jody(the guy who makes it). He's a very reputable guy and I love it, hugeeeee difference in power and still get 18-20 mpg on the highway not towing. Never calculated it while towing. I just want to try another guys tunes and need a different chip for the new ones
Unread 05-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
The cummins is a 500k mile engine in a 50k mile truck.
My 02 Dodge diesel has 53 and looks like new except for the brush pin stipes??
Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-joN
That's awesome man, you should be happy with that. I have a dp tuner 4 position chip with tunes on it for sale if you would be interested. You can research dp or Jody(the guy who makes it). He's a very reputable guy and I love it, hugeeeee difference in power and still get 18-20 mpg on the highway not towing. Never calculated it while towing. I just want to try another guys tunes and need a different chip for the new ones
I'm still researching chips, I don't want to hurt the trans with too much. I don't really know much about diesels or what I should do. I want to add a muffler but don't know which one I should go with, I don't care for loud but want to take advantage of the 4" exhaust. A stock truck is pretty much all I really need but would love to boost the milage. It's getting around 20 on the hwy. PM me what you want for it.
Thanks

Unread 05-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
oteps
1980 CJ5 

DIY intake. You use a huge paper air filter and an elbow. Remove the airbox. Mine cost around $70. I havent checked the mileage but most people are saying 1-2 mpg gain.
oteps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #14
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

99 is a good year, you have Forged rods in the engine. If you are even thinking of having a little fun with it and add tunes. Here is my advise from years of experience and heartache with my old 02 7.3.

First get the trans built. There is only one I would have do it. Brian at BTS

Do injectors, turbo, and tuning at the same time. Only ONLY get custom tuning. Do not get banks, edge, bully dog, or superchips. Custom tuning look at Power hungry performance, dp tuner there are a few good tuners out there.

now if this was a time Machine I would say go back and get the duramax. Even with injectors that is a one time fix for that model year. And the steps would be the same but you get way more power.

Last but not least and this applies for any Diesel products. Do not I say again DO NOT buy anything from Pensacola diesel.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I somewhat disagree on the custom tune. My BullyDog has served me very well, and it was cheap.

Get gauges before doing anything at all though. Boost, Trans, Pyro. I've saved my '01 multiple times by not overheating the exhaust. Overboost isn't easy, but it can happen.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.