Diesel decision (Dmax, Stroke or Cummins) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Diesel decision (Dmax, Stroke or Cummins)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
snwchris

Diesel decision (Dmax, Stroke or Cummins)

I'm looking to upgrade to a diesel for pulling our horses and towing the Jeep & trailer. Horse towing would be in the state but towing the jeep would be 5hrs to 7hrs depending on what park I go to and possibly traveling to OK or UT in future as well.

I've been looking around and trying to do some research on the various models and whats years.

I'm trying to decide between the following:

03 GMC 2500 w/ 126K on the clock
05 F350 KR w/ 110K on the clock
05 Ram 3500 w/118k on the clock

Any input is greatly appreciated
Chris

snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Between those trucks. Drive them all get the one you are the most comfortable sitting in.

Thing to think about.

Get an OASIS report on the Ford. That year is on the tail end of troubled 6.0's.

The Duramax is a very stout engine and is backed by the Allison trans. 03 was the 5 speed still.

The trans on the Ford is a very stout trans. It does not have all the same bells and whistles the Allison does. However the Ford Torqueshift is the beefiest trans between the three. 5 speed also

The dodge has the legendary Cummins motor. This motor single handily save the dodge truck market. It trans is not up to Par with the other 2 however it will do with regular maintenance.

Price would way heavily for me. The dodge would be my last choice however if it was priced way better then the other 2 I would rock it.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have a GMC. Pulls my jeep great, the allison transmission is a super pluss plus. Great pulling in the mountains and the Allison has a auto breaking feature when you decelerate (which takes some getting use to).

However the duramax had an injector problem in the first years and GM got it perfected in 2004.5 when they came out with the LLY engine. I suggest finding a later 2004 model (check in the glove box for the LLY engine, the engine before that was LB7) Cost to put in injecters is at least $1000.

The very new duramax engines are not as good as the older engines (thanks to the tree huggers).

The other plus is the Eaton G80 locking differential. Again look in the glove box for G80. I think it is in most GM trucks.

GM Eaton G80 Differential video. Note the test on the up hill with rollers.

The Duramax, Allison transmission and the G80 differential are a super combination.
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Jonker87

cummins is the way to go, they have the best exhaust brake and the motor will last for ever, I've had my with the DPF deleted and programmer on it for 70k miles and never had an issue! it will get 18mpg on the highway and it'll pull 20k+ if you want to!
Jonker87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

If the Dodge is a 4x4 don't do it! Go to the NHTSA's website and look up each truck and look at all the customer complaints...... you'll see a lot of death wobble on the Dodge 4x4's..... I know, I'm stuck in that boat. I'm a huge Mopar fan, but this truck let me down. Cummins is the only good part about the truck.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Here's the link to the search area: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
slafferty
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have an 06 dmax with 5"lift and 33's. Pulled my jeep with it today and i couldnt tell it was there.. There is a big hill on my way home and today was the fastest my jeep has ever went up the hill and thats because it was on the trailer. My dad has a 2010 cummins 6.7 and it is a gutless piece of junk
'00 TJ, 4.0, nv3550 spd, E-lockers Front and Rear, 4.88 gears. Homebuilt Bumpers/ tube doors.. Homebuilt Long Arm in the making... 35 inch MT-R's ordered[QUOTE=RUBtjICON;9622056]If you arent scratching it, you arent trying hard enough :tea:[/QUOTE]

[U][I][B]MY BUILD THREAD[/B][/I][/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="4"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
slafferty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slafferty View Post
I have an 06 dmax with 5"lift and 33's. Pulled my jeep with it today and i couldnt tell it was there.. There is a big hill on my way home and today was the fastest my jeep has ever went up the hill and thats because it was on the trailer. My dad has a 2010 cummins 6.7 and it is a gutless piece of junk
Too bad he said he was looking at an 05 Cummins, not a 10. The 05 is a 5.9 before smog.... hell of a damn good engine.

The thing I always say is look at every semi on the road, what do they all have in common, they all run I6's NOT V8's, there's a reason for that. I6's are damn strong engines, more main bearings caps per cylinder, less rotating mass, and they don't oval out the cylinders. That's why most I6's are 1,000,000 mile engines.

We have a '92 Dodge Cummins that just rolled 3,000,000 miles on the original engine and is still running cherry.
Unread 09-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2dunes View Post
Too bad he said he was looking at an 05 Cummins, not a 10. The 05 is a 5.9 before smog.... hell of a damn good engine.

The thing I always say is look at every semi on the road, what do they all have in common, they all run I6's NOT V8's, there's a reason for that. I6's are damn strong engines, more main bearings caps per cylinder, less rotating mass, and they don't oval out the cylinders. That's why most I6's are 1,000,000 mile engines.

We have a '92 Dodge Cummins that just rolled 3,000,000 miles on the original engine and is still running cherry.
You will get about the same Life on any given Diesel from the 3 trucks mentioned. the Old 5.9 Cummins went for a long time and got some of the best fuel mileage ever had by trucks in this class. However the Trucks were lighter and the 5.9 was only 160hp. The thing to watch out for will the the Transmissions.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
Indy

the cummins is a great engine, but ive had 3 dodge trucks and wont have a 4th. non stop problems. another 5 or 6 that have belonged to friends who all drive ford and chevy now. cummins may be a million mile engine but the 50,000 truck wrapped around it makes it a great running garage ornament imo.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
MattBMiller
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Cummins all the way. I've owned them all...and worked on them all. Currently have a 2010 2500 Ram 6.7 Cummins with a G56 manual trans. The 2010+ Ram HD trucks are light years ahead of the previous generations.
MattBMiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
stopthevoices77
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had an 05 Ram 3500. The Cummins was great but the rest of the truck started to fall apart around it. The death wobble sucked pretty bad as well. That 6.0 in the Ford would scare me as too. It costs about 6k to fix all the issues associated with that motor.
stopthevoices77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #13
TJnProgress
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You'll get lots of opinions from everyone on which truck is best, but the ones you list all have their particular gremlins. I went through a similiar search a couple months ago and was looking for an 05-06 Chevy or pre-03 Ford with the 7.3, or a 05-06 Dodge. I ended up with an 08 Dodge though because the particular truck I found was the best combination of options, condition, and price. So far, so good, but only time will tell.

My advice would be to buy the truck based on the merits of the individual truck, not what other people think about them in general. There are some well known problems with all three that should be considered, but the options/condition/price of the truck in front of you should be the deciding factor.

Good luck with the purchase!
TJnProgress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
bassaholicsfl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I love cummins but my dad has an 05 with 235000 miles. we have nothing but transmission problems with it, Acts like when it shifts in all gears it gets caught up in something and justs revs until you let off the gas. But we just put an ats stage 4 48re tranny in it. no problems so far shifts perfect for him pulling crap every day. We have a 08 6.7 bluetec diesel with dpf delete staight pipe cat back 4in. you can tell the power difference when you delete a dpf.

I drive the 08 daily because the jeep is getting fixed and I love the 6.7, Big power difference with better turbo, injectors, and injector pump. But the 5.9 could leave this truck with the new tranny. 5.9 has injectors, injector pump, dual turbos, propane injection, and k&n cold air intake. I still like the 6.7 because its blue and its a mega cab. Id rather drive blue than black to dang hot in that 5.9
bassaholicsfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #15
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2dunes

3million miles? No rebuild? I'm calling bull**** on both.

Sent from my iPhone while I shouldn't be on my iPhone.
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.