Daily Driver/tj tow - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Daily Driver/tj tow

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #31
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Second, a cubic yard of gravel weighs like 4000 pounds. How is 4000 lb for tongue weight?

4000 lb tounge weight on a 4000 lb load? Should be between 400 and 600 lbs. Well within the capabilities of any truck you can slap a class 3 hitch on.
Quote:
Quote:
I would urge you to consider exactly why you need a PU in the first place if you don't need a 12,000 - 16,000 towing capacity.
Quote:
I bought a new mattress on Sunday. It wouldn't fit in the Tahoe. It certainly didn't fit in the Jeep. My car is obviously too small too. Did I need at 12K - 16K towing capacity to get it home?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Look harder. Head gaskets, stretched head bolts, EGR issues, as well as the cost to repair or prevent these issues.4000 lb tounge weight on a 4000 lb load? Should be between 400 and 600 lbs. Well within the capabilities of any truck you can slap a class 3 hitch on.

I bought a new mattress on Sunday. It wouldn't fit in the Tahoe. It certainly didn't fit in the Jeep. My car is obviously too small too. Did I need at 12K - 16K towing capacity to get it home?
Oh boy are you confused.

A 1/2 ton pickup has a bed load capacity of about 1500 pounds. If one put a cubic yard of gravel or dirt in the bed the equivalent tongue weight would be tooo much. Are you thinking that one could put a cubic yard of gravel in a 1/2 pickup?

As for your mattress, I think it would be just as safe strapped to the top of a Tahoe than hanging out of the bed of your pickup.

Unread 02-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #32
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
The 6.0 he was referring to was the Chevy gasser, which seems to be a solid engine. It's also available in a 1/2 ton, so he wouldn't need to jump to a 3/4 ton to get it.

I have a 6.0 diesel and you are spot on about those
Righto, thought he was talking about the Powerstroke 6.0. I looked at them, as they were in my price range, but the issues with the early ones scared me off. They made decent power, but the realiablity and the cost to "bulletproof" them before they had issues, or repair after they had issues kept me from buying. I guess the later ones (05 - 06) are better.

The Chevy gas 6.0 is a beasty good motor. The only real problem with those is that they are thirsty.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #33
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh boy are you confused.

A 1/2 ton pickup has a bed load capacity of about 1500 pounds. If one put a cubic yard of gravel or dirt in the bed the equivalent tongue weight would be tooo much. Are you thinking that one could put a cubic yard of gravel in a 1/2 pickup?

As for your mattress, I think it would be just as safe strapped to the top of a Tahoe than hanging out of the bed of your pickup.
The only thing I was confused about was your confusing statement about two ton tongue weights. Payload and trailer tongue weights are not the same thing. Furthermore, the OP never mentioned 4000 lbs of gravel. If that is his need, then this would be an entirely different conversation.

I'd rather slide a mattress in the back of a truck than try to hoist then tie it to the roof of a Tahoe or similar vehicle. I had a Bronco for years. My constant complaint was the fixed roof over the cargo area. There were too many occasions I needed to carry something too tall to fit in the truck. I had to call someone with a "real truck" to pick it up for me.

It rather seems you are confused about the OP's needs. Bigger is not always better.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #34
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

It rather seems you are confused about the OP's needs. Bigger is not always better.
I heard from you a reason to have a pickup. Not a very good one - a mattress - but I didn't actually hear anything from the OP that indicated a pickup. I was pointing out what causes many people to choose a pickup which actually turns out not to be a good idea - hauling gravel or top soil or even mulch. A 1/2 ton pickup is not capable of carrying meaningful amounts of gravel or dirt or even mulch.

It is capable of carrying a mattress which is apparently why you have one.

I was suggesting to the OP that he think about a Tahoe or equivalent which seemed to fit his needs more than a pickup (10 mile daily commute, occasional towing of 6000 pounds or less). I have had about 10 pickup trucks, so I do find them useful, but not typically the 1/2 ton variety.
Unread 02-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #35
ajmorell

Quote:
I heard from you a reason to have a pickup. Not a very good one - a mattress - but I didn't actually hear anything from the OP that indicated a pickup. I was pointing out what causes many people to choose a pickup which actually turns out not to be a good idea - hauling gravel or top soil or even mulch. A 1/2 ton pickup is not capable of carrying meaningful amounts of gravel or dirt or even mulch.

It is capable of carrying a mattress which is apparently why you have one.

I was suggesting to the OP that he think about a Tahoe or equivalent which seemed to fit his needs more than a pickup (10 mile daily commute, occasional towing of 6000 pounds or less). I have had about 10 pickup trucks, so I do find them useful, but not typically the 1/2 ton variety.
I agree with what you are saying here. The usefulness of a 1/2 ton is limited from the payload point of view but there have been substantial increases in the towing capabilities of 1/2 tons as of late. It really boils down to lifestyle. A Tahoe or Expedition is a pretty capable tow rig if equipped properly but you do lose that ability to carry oversize cargo, whether it be 2x4s, refrigerators, mattresses, etc. I've strapped a box spring to the top of my ZJ, getting anything with any significant weight on the roof of any SUV is nothing short of a pain in the ***.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #36
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
I agree with what you are saying here. The usefulness of a 1/2 ton is limited from the payload point of view but there have been substantial increases in the towing capabilities of 1/2 tons as of late. It really boils down to lifestyle. A Tahoe or Expedition is a pretty capable tow rig if equipped properly but you do lose that ability to carry oversize cargo, whether it be 2x4s, refrigerators, mattresses, etc. I've strapped a box spring to the top of my ZJ, getting anything with any significant weight on the roof of any SUV is nothing short of a pain in the ***.
I also have a full sized cargo van, an older Chevy G20 (3/4 ton) 350 white box carpeted inside which I have found to be far more useful than my pickups. I'd agree that you can't put a queen sized mattress in it, but for most other things it is much more useful. I have a set of ramps, so the quad, the ride-on mowers, go in. And, you can sleep in it if you are out in the rain. It will tow a TJ and a trailer as good as a 1/2 ton pickup and you don't have to worry about people taking your stuff when you are out on the trail. Just lock it up. If you buy a bunch of lumber at Lowes, it stays dry and unmolested until you use it. I had them put a pallet of cement blocks in it recently. Its standard length and you can put a 10 foot lumber on the floor in it with the doors closed. If you angle, you can put in 12 footers. I can't tell you how many times I had to move camp inside the van.

All of that said, there is nothing to compare with a modern diesel tow rig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.