Daily Driver/tj tow - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Daily Driver/tj tow

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #16
hndswthtshdws
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I love diesels as much as the next guy, but his man has a 10 mile commute everyday and tows a few times per year. Why would you spend all that extra money on a diesel + pay more to maintain it only to have a truck thats just getting warmed up when you pull into work?

Unread 02-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #17
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had a 3/4 ton Ford gasser that was great for towing. Got about 10 MPG, towing or empty (big block). The disadvantage of the 3/4 tons is their sheer size and poor ride quality. Obviously they win in towing capability.

I now have a 1/2 ton Silverado with 5.3L and 4.10 gears and a tow rating a little under 9000 lbs, which is plenty for a trailer and a Jeep. Rides a billion times better than the 3/4 ton. All the power crap for convenience. Shorter wheelbase makes it better around town too. Gets 18 MPG or so unloaded on the highway, 11 MPG hauling the Jeep on a heavy steel trailer at 70 MPH. I can get better MPG towing if I drive slower. I regularly tow my TJ with it >250 miles, as well as serving as a tow truck for the occasional break down. I will be looking for a Diesel for my next truck for the gas mileage.

Since you only mention a yearly trip, I'd go with a half-ton with enough capacity to tow your Jeep on a 2000 lb. trailer and carry all your gear. If you only tow a few times a year, you don't need a 3/4 truck.

YMMV, as they say.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #18
flnbar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies and input. From what I can gather here, the consensus is diesel = fashion over function for my situtation. Now I just need to narrow down which 1/2 ton I want. decisions. decsions.
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&n...iew&ad=5940796

I think you'd be pleased with the 6.0. My buddy has a 3/4 ton with it and pulls all sorts of stuff around the farm. Loads of power.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #20
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think I would agree with the above poster who said that a 10 mile per day commute will not be ideal for a diesel rig. I'd like to know more about the trailer towing frequency the OP intends. A gasser is no fun to tow with even with a light load, but it may be the best choice in this instance. I flat towed an XJ with my 454 Suburban and you couldn't even tell it was there, but when I got a very heavy equipment trailer without electric brakes it was a whole different problem. If the OP gets a lightweight trailer with brakes and is only doing trips tot eh trails 20 times a year, I'd say go with the gasser. It will be a better DD for a 10 mile commute and be a lot cheaper.

But why a 1/2 ton. A 3/4 won't cost any more in the used market and is more likely to have the bigger gas motor. Some of those 1/2 ton trucks are as dainty as a car. If you are gonna look for comfort, just get a Tahoe. It will be about the same as a 1/2 ton and will be a whole lot better in the snow, etc.
Unread 02-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #21
flnbar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I think I would agree with the above poster who said that a 10 mile per day commute will not be ideal for a diesel rig...If the OP gets a lightweight trailer with brakes and is only doing trips tot eh trails 20 times a year, I'd say go with the gasser. It will be a better DD for a 10 mile commute and be a lot cheaper.
Exactly. I really wouldn't be doing more than 10 pulls a year either flat or on a trailer.

Quote:
But why a 1/2 ton. A 3/4 won't cost any more in the used market and is more likely to have the bigger gas motor. Some of those 1/2 ton trucks are as dainty as a car. If you are gonna look for comfort, just get a Tahoe. It will be about the same as a 1/2 ton and will be a whole lot better in the snow, etc.
This interests me because i'm finding a good amount of 3/4 ton gassers within my price range. What engines/models are recommended/need to stay away from?

Also, what type of maintenance costs are associated with diesels over gassers? Just curious.
Unread 02-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #22
flnbar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&n...iew&ad=5940796

I think you'd be pleased with the 6.0. My buddy has a 3/4 ton with it and pulls all sorts of stuff around the farm. Loads of power.
I've been doing some research on the 6.0s and haven't found much to complain about, unless i'm missing something haha.
Unread 02-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #23
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flnbar View Post
Exactly. I really wouldn't be doing more than 10 pulls a year either flat or on a trailer.

This interests me because i'm finding a good amount of 3/4 ton gassers within my price range. What engines/models are recommended/need to stay away from?

Also, what type of maintenance costs are associated with diesels over gassers? Just curious.
All modern diesels are superior to all modern gassers for towing in my opinion. Even a suspect Ford 6.0 will out perform a workhorse Chevy 454 with a big load on. trouble is that you are not really gonna put it to the test. A bit of infrequent light weight towing and a short daily drive are not a good formula for getting the most out of a diesel pickup. Much as I always prefer a diesel (and there is no comparison if there is a lot of weight on the trailer) you just don't need one and it will be a big expense. but, unless you are hauling dirt or gravel that can't be put on your trailer, you don't need a 1/2 ton pickup either. I really think you need a Tahoe or a Suburban or an expedition or the like. A Suburban is far more useful than a pickup if you have a decent trailer. A 1/2 ton pickup won't like a scoop of topsoil. It won't even like a scoop of mulch which are the two items that guys say they need a pickup for. But if you have a decent trailer, you can haul that stuff with a Tahoe type rig.

I have a lot of friends who justify their PU by pointing to the gravel pile and saying it won't go on the trailer. First, it will go on the trailer, all you have to do is nail down a perimeter on the deck to control the gravel.

Second, a cubic yard of gravel weighs like 4000 pounds. How is 4000 lb for tongue weight?

Sorry for rambling. Anyway, I would urge you to consider exactly why you need a PU in the first place if you don't need a 12,000 - 16,000 towing capacity. I've had every kind of tow rig you can imagiine, and I say you buy what you need not what is the most effective in theory. If it was about that, we'd all be driving F350 dually diesels. Here's a photo of a suburban that I used to use for towing. Its a K2500 454, 4.10 4X4. But the loads outgrew it. A trailer and a Jeep worked fine. But, I use the big rig now (33,000 GVWR Volvo FE).

Unread 02-15-2012, 04:40 AM   #24
greene69
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

To change oil is $100.00, fuel filters every other oil change $100.00 and an air filter is around $50.00 so it ads up.
greene69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #25
hndswthtshdws
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Tires are significantly more expensive as well.
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #26
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hndswthtshdws View Post
That doesn't make any sense. Most 3/4 ton gassers and diesels run the same tires.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #27
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've been doing some research on the 6.0s and haven't found much to complain about, unless i'm missing something haha.
Look harder. Head gaskets, stretched head bolts, EGR issues, as well as the cost to repair or prevent these issues.

Quote:
But why bother with a heavier truck when it's not needed? Most of the duty for this truck is DD commuting. A half ton Chevy 5.3L (for example) will get much better gas mileage than a 3/4 ton Chevy 6.0L gasser.

I don't think there's an argument which has more capability. However, a 3/4 ton truck is unnecessary.

Quote:
Second, a cubic yard of gravel weighs like 4000 pounds. How is 4000 lb for tongue weight?
4000 lb tounge weight on a 4000 lb load? Should be between 400 and 600 lbs. Well within the capabilities of any truck you can slap a class 3 hitch on.

Quote:
I would urge you to consider exactly why you need a PU in the first place if you don't need a 12,000 - 16,000 towing capacity.
I bought a new mattress on Sunday. It wouldn't fit in the Tahoe. It certainly didn't fit in the Jeep. My car is obviously too small too. Did I need at 12K - 16K towing capacity to get it home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hndswthtshdws View Post
What's more expensive? Diesel tires?
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #28
flnbar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Although I have considered a Tahoe or simliar vechile, I'm leaning towards a pickup for those around the house things that make it more convenient (dump runs, jeep parts hauler, etc.). Now I won't need the 12k-16k capacity all the time, but I would like it there when Its needed.

So a 3/4 ton seems to be overkill for my situation then? I've heard people state that just about all of the major 1/2 ton trucks (ram, gmc, chevy) are about equal in comparison and to chose based on personal preference. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I know I may be beating a dead horse. I just like doing a LOT of research to be sure I'm well informed before making a $25k decision...
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #29
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Look harder. Head gaskets, stretched head bolts, EGR issues, as well as the cost to repair or prevent these issues.
The 6.0 he was referring to was the Chevy gasser, which seems to be a solid engine. It's also available in a 1/2 ton, so he wouldn't need to jump to a 3/4 ton to get it.

I have a 6.0 diesel and you are spot on about those
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #30
hndswthtshdws
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
That doesn't make any sense. Most 3/4 ton gassers and diesels run the same tires.
Compared to a half ton.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.