Daily Driver/tj tow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Daily Driver/tj tow

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.com

Unread 02-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
flnbar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Daily Driver/tj tow

So i've been searching around forever and can't seem to find any threads specific to my query, if realistic. Basically, I'm looking for pickup that can/will be my DD with about a 10 mile commute everday. It needs 4 doors and enough capability to comfortably tow my tj and gear down to moab about a few times a year (about 260 mi-one way). To add to the requirements, I want something newer with some bells and whistles, so to speak.

Here's some of the trucks i've been looking at:
ram 1500/2500 gas, hemi (not sure if flexfuel is really worth it)
Tundra 5.7 iforce v8
GMC/Chevy silverado/1500/2500
I've stayed away from fords just because i'm not a big fan of their cabin setups

Basically I want something new(er), nice to drive daily, and comfortable to tow a few hundred miles in a weekend a couple times a year. Also, I should mention i'm trying to keep it under $25K. I know it's a tall order but am curious if the trucks chosen above can handle my needs. Thanks!

edit:
I meant to put this in the Tow Rig forum but must have made a mistake. Oops.

Unread 02-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
greene69
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have fords, but the way i look at it they all cost about the same and do the same thing so it comes down to personel preferance really. I have had 15 fords so i am alittle bias, but i do have a nice 93 chevy 4X4 that was my dad's with 90k miles on it, but not for sale
greene69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Sccafire
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Are you going to tow the Jeep on a trailer?

"life is good at 2 MPH"
Sccafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
flnbar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccafire View Post
Are you going to tow the Jeep on a trailer?
I was planning on it eventually. In the mean time probably flat tow.
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
mg2380
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check out the F-150 Ecoboost. 365hp (twin turbo V6), 420lb-ft torque, 11,300lbs tow rating, and great gas mileage. Plus it comes with stuff like an integrated trailer brake control. I'll be picking one up soon... Yeah, yeah, I know it's a V6. But go test drive one. It hauls a**!
mg2380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
timberwolf0122
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'd be tempted with a diesel, great torque and better MPG..
Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
MacGyver Club Member #1
Doctor Who has died 10 times, is on his 11th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
I think he's calling his Jeep "Tardis," which is British slang for pimp mobile. - Dangfoo
timberwolf0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Many trucks will do the job. Source a used 4-door pickup from a large, affluent city. At the Mason-Dixon line or south, and not near the coast (to avoid rust). You would not believe the gorgeous crew cabs that are used as pure commuters in the Washington, DC area and get traded in with about 50k on the clock. (You might need to replace the blinged out wheels, though!)

When we buy trucks, this is what we do, and it's a deal. A small transfer fee to your local Carmax and you are set.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf0122 View Post
I'd be tempted with a diesel, great torque and better MPG..
With the current prices almost .90 cents a gallon more than regular gas, it's not enough better to justify the cost of fuel alone. Then there's the cost of repairs with a diesel that are significantly more, plus up front costs... For what he wants-would have to be a darned good deal on any diesel to make it worth while, and for what he wants out of it, I still don't think it's the smart thing to do.

Don't get me wrong-we have diesel ranch trucks that do nothing but tow. For what he's talking, any newer gasser will fit the bill nicely and do just what he needs. OP knows his price range, I'd look in the local area for anything under that and see what you can narrow it down to. Heck, at $25K, I'd go to $20 and search there, see what you find. Go test drive a bunch of them of all makes. I've always been partial to Chev myself as we've owned a ton of them over the years. My buddy has a new Toyota that I have to say, is one nice truck. On the diesel side, our '07 Furd 350 super duty doesn't hold a candle to the old '03 Duramax. This is the second Ford we've had, and it will be the last.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
hndswthtshdws
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wanna know how to kill a diesel?

"10 mile commute everday"

Unread 02-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
greene69
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a f350 dually diesel with a toolbox bed, it is an expensive truck to run, but it weighs 9k pounds. in your case I would get something like my 98 f150 with the 5.4 it does great and the maint is a fraction of the diesel I just couldn't swing the cost of a new one I would look at a 3 or 4 year old used.
greene69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
ssquier92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

cant go wrong with anything with a cummins 5.9l, I would advise dodges manual tranny rather than the auto just because Ive had bad luck with dodge autos but it is what it is.. Id still rather have the cummins 5.9l and get good mpg! all the power I want, and non stop reliability
2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

Work harder, thousands of people on welfare are counting on you.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html[/URL]
ssquier92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
ssquier92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquier92 View Post
cant go wrong with anything with a cummins 5.9l, I would advise dodges manual tranny rather than the auto just because Ive had bad luck with dodge autos but it is what it is.. Id still rather have the cummins 5.9l and get good mpg! all the power I want, and non stop reliability
Just too add on, everyone gets scared away by diesel being more expensive.. get more people to drive them and it will go down, much easier to refine than gasoline.. all the tree huggers just hate the black smoke and demand isnt where gasolines is so up goes the price.. Its stupid really.. if every car was diesel we would have lower prices and everyone would be getting better MPG. And hybrids would have never come out, we would have diesel electric cars, just like locomotives work... So im very pro diesel.. maybe people will see the light eventually.
2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

Work harder, thousands of people on welfare are counting on you.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html[/URL]
ssquier92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
Sccafire
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flnbar View Post
I was planning on it eventually. In the mean time probably flat tow.
Since your are planning on a trailer, as some one else said find something with a factory brake controller in it. I also vote for Cummins. I DD an 07 CTD.

"life is good at 2 MPH"
Sccafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 03:48 AM   #14
Sobie
Bolt-on Maniac

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #15
billj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

IMHO, I would stick with the 1/2 ton Chevy or Dodge, I know people who have the Dodges, and they have had reliability issues, so people who have them may want to chime in, you don't like the Ford for whatever reason, don't even consider it...Those vehicles have the capacity you need, you are towing only a few times a year, you have a short commute, the added up front cost of a diesel, along with the pricier fuel, will take you a long time to break even on the fuel savings with the better mileage of a diesel, plus you would have way more truck than you really need. Best of luck in your search!
billj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.