Cummins - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Cummins

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Offroad Sales Tech are Available To Help!Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 08-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Cummins

So Im lookin for some info. After recon training I'm getting a new truck. It's gonna be a dodge 3500 four door long bed, and its gonna be a cummins. My questions are;
1: I dont like this most recent body style. What is the last year of the last body style? 2009 or 2010?

2: it doesn't look like the 2010s have the 5.9 and I really don't know much about the 6.7.
Any info or personnel experiences would be awesome.
Which do you like better?
Power numbers, ease of build, reliability, towing, etc.

And I think thats all for now. Anything you know concerning the cummins no matter how small I'd love to hear. Want to get all the information I can. Thanks guys

[FONT="Arial Black"]1990 XJ[/FONT]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"]3" Rancho 5000 lift[/COLOR]
D30 front D35 Rear
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]33x12.5 Mudders sitting on 15" M/T Beadlocks[/COLOR]
Doorless
[COLOR="DimGray"]Homebrew discos[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=nwiTJdave;11190438]Just remember, dress blues make girs drop their clothes much faster than Army puke greens :cheers2::thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Hoobly_Goob;10060314]Nothing says "We are a welcoming and kind offroad enthusiast community" like laughing at fat chicks.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #406[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
1993F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
slowlowford
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have an 03 6-speed and love it. If I was to do it again. I would get an 04.5-07. They has a little more umph. Those years had a bigger turbo and some stuff different injector stuff. They main reason for the cut off is, I am pretty sure around 07 is when they started killing them with emission junk. all of them from 99-07 had the issues. With mine it was injector issues. Something about the fuel filtering not being good enough. I took care of that when I upgraded my fuel system. Get on cummins forum there is tons of info and truly knowledgeable people. I have been off the diesel forums for around a year so I forgot a lot of stuff. Also avoid Banks stuff. haha
Unread 08-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlowford
I have an 03 6-speed and love it. If I was to do it again. I would get an 04.5-07. They has a little more umph. Those years had a bigger turbo and some stuff different injector stuff. They main reason for the cut off is, I am pretty sure around 07 is when they started killing them with emission junk. all of them from 99-07 had the issues. With mine it was injector issues. Something about the fuel filtering not being good enough. I took care of that when I upgraded my fuel system. Get on cummins forum there is tons of info and truly knowledgeable people. I have been off the diesel forums for around a year so I forgot a lot of stuff. Also avoid Banks stuff. haha
Ok cool. Thanks man.

D30 front D35 Rear
Doorless

[QUOTE=nwiTJdave;11190438]Just remember, dress blues make girs drop their clothes much faster than Army puke greens :cheers2::thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Hoobly_Goob;10060314]Nothing says "We are a welcoming and kind offroad enthusiast community" like laughing at fat chicks.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #406[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
Unread 08-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #4
blue02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

07 1/2 is when the 6.7 came out so you can find both the 5.9 and the 6.7 in 07. I have an 07 with the 6.7 if you get a 6.7 and its not under warranty still then you need to really look into doing the DPF and EGR deletes.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/
blue02tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
MattBMiller
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2010 with the 6.7 and a 6 speed manual. I pulled all the EGR and DPF off with about 500 miles on the truck. I'd take this engine any day over the 5.9 I had in my '06.
MattBMiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
walkerg
1998 TJ Wrangler 

just get an older 12 valve. half the valves, twice the power.
walkerg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerg
just get an older 12 valve. half the valves, twice the power.
More torque less horse. And I want as new as I can get before this stupid body style.

D30 front D35 Rear
Doorless

Unread 09-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
sledheadtj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Whats wrong with the new body style? It is way more improved than the previous. Have you sat in both to compare interiors? I would suggest that you do. The new style has a way bigger quad cab, and better rear seats. I love my 2010, engine brake stock, brake controller built in dash, lots of storage all over the place. I would suggest you check out some forums like cummins forum, lots of great info over there.
sledheadtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do yourself a favor and run over to cumminsforum.com for your research.

I've owned both a 5.9 common rail and a 6.7

I would recommend either one. Personally, I like the comfort of driving the 03-09 body style (3rd gen). It feels more solid and I like the interiors better than the 2nd gen (I've owned gas variants of the 2nd gen).

My 08 6.7 pulls better than my old 5.9, but its not a fair comarison as my 03 was stock with an auto and my 08 has power mods and a 6 speed. The stock exhaust brake is nice on the 6.7s too, however as you add power with the VGT you get into drive pressure issues.

Like I said though, do your research over on cummins forum.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 03:53 AM   #10
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledheadtj
Whats wrong with the new body style? It is way more improved than the previous. Have you sat in both to compare interiors? I would suggest that you do. The new style has a way bigger quad cab, and better rear seats. I love my 2010, engine brake stock, brake controller built in dash, lots of storage all over the place. I would suggest you check out some forums like cummins forum, lots of great info over there.
Il checkout the forums. And all that sounds nice but I seriously dislike the newest body style. I believe 09 is the last year of the body style I like. Just my taste though.

D30 front D35 Rear
Doorless

Unread 09-28-2011, 03:57 AM   #11
1993F250
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm
Do yourself a favor and run over to cumminsforum.com for your research.

I've owned both a 5.9 common rail and a 6.7

I would recommend either one. Personally, I like the comfort of driving the 03-09 body style (3rd gen). It feels more solid and I like the interiors better than the 2nd gen (I've owned gas variants of the 2nd gen).

My 08 6.7 pulls better than my old 5.9, but its not a fair comarison as my 03 was stock with an auto and my 08 has power mods and a 6 speed. The stock exhaust brake is nice on the 6.7s too, however as you add power with the VGT you get into drive pressure issues.

Like I said though, do your research over on cummins forum.
I appreciate the response. Il def check out the forums. Have a few already an talked to some custom offroad shops. When I was in Montana I talked to a couple guys who own a custom shop, they had a sick chev diesel with 700hp to wheels on 37s. I said I wanted 900 to the rear wheels on 39s or 40s in an 09 6speed and he said he could do it. Since il be busy with Marine stuff I'm just gonna have a shop build it. If I can I'm gonna get an 04 WJ around the same time. Truck will be towing the WJ and wont see dirt. But the WJ will be strictly for trails. And I'm leaning towards the 6.7 from what I've been hearin.

D30 front D35 Rear
Doorless

Unread 11-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
TJnProgress
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledheadtj View Post
I agree with everything you said, kind of. The new interior has a larger quad cab, better seats, better electronics, more storage, etc. And I still like my 2008 over my Dad's 2011, but for me it's all about the hood. The hood on my 08 glides out of sight and doesn't limit my field of view, which is very important when trying to park a 1-ton dually in a parking lot. Dad's 2011 has that big hood sticking up there and throws it off for me. That might be a silly reason to pick one body style over the other, but when you're sitting in the driver's seat, the hood is kinda important.
TJnProgress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
nwco4x4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnProgress View Post
I agree with everything you said, kind of. The new interior has a larger quad cab, better seats, better electronics, more storage, etc. And I still like my 2008 over my Dad's 2011, but for me it's all about the hood. The hood on my 08 glides out of sight and doesn't limit my field of view, which is very important when trying to park a 1-ton dually in a parking lot. Dad's 2011 has that big hood sticking up there and throws it off for me. That might be a silly reason to pick one body style over the other, but when you're sitting in the driver's seat, the hood is kinda important.
Seriously, buy the new body style drive it for a week and youll be used to the new hood. Any new vehicle you buy is going to run drive and handle different. I love my 2010 first year of the new body style in the 2500/3500 trucks.
nwco4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #14
Powernut69
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd be willing to part with my 2004.5 dually 4X4! 90,000 miles and stock with 6 new tires and front hitch to move trailers or install a winch. 5,000 miles had oil change and fuel filter. New front end parts and trans upgrades.
Powernut69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.