Crazy to tow a 7x12 trailer with a 4.0L TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Crazy to tow a 7x12 trailer with a 4.0L TJ?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-01-2014, 03:25 AM   #1
rinogo

Crazy to tow a 7x12 trailer with a 4.0L TJ?

Hey, all!

I'm considering getting a 7'x12' trailer to be towed behind my rig. I have a 4.0L TJ with 35" tires and 4.56 gears.

(The trailer I'm considering (and others like it): http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...arch=&ad_cid=5 )

How reasonable is it to tow a trailer like this with my jeep? What about the equivalent trailer, but in "enclosed" form (e.g. not flatbed, but with walls and a roof)?

My research seems to suggest I'd be fine, but I'm totally new to this, so I thought I'd ask in case I'm making some ridiculous mistake!

Thanks!

rinogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 05:06 AM   #2
Firedawg

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't think the size of the trailer is the issue. The weight of the trailer and the weight you carry on the trailer would be the issue. You don't want to put more weight than manufacture specs. Short wheel base, light vehicles and heavy towing equals bad things when trying to stop too quickly. The weight will continue to push the vehicle through the stop. You can help stopping with trailer brakes and big brakes up front.

That's my two cents and every thread I have read here suggests the same. Do a quick search on trailers and stopping and you should find plenty of reading material.
Firedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
rinogo

Thanks, Firedawg! You're right - that's what my research seems to indicate. I guess this might be the better set of questions:

A TJ's towing capacity is 2500 pounds, right?

How much can I expect a 7x12 flatbed trailer to weigh? (approximately)

Likewise, how much can I expect a 7x12 enclosed trailer to weigh? (approximately)

My research conflicts a bit, but it seems like an enclosed 7x12 trailer might weigh up to 2,000 pounds. That means I'd only be able to tow 500 pounds MAX.
rinogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

While in the Army I moved a few times. I have towed a 5X10 open and a 6X12 enclosed a few thousand miles, one weighing in at close to 3500lbs from CA to MO with my TJ. It towed better than my 01 grand. I would not recommend towing that much with your TJ though.

My 5X10 is now sitting on 33s with a spring over.

The TJ tow fine as long as you realize what it is and don't overdue it.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The size of the trailer does matter. The longer the trailer the more apt it is to sway especially with a short wheel base tow vehicle like a TJ. However, as long as you load it right and have the correct amount of tongue weight you should be fine with a 12' trailer. It's tough to give you a trailer weight. That will vary even among trailers that are the same size.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

You will exceed your vehicles tow rating by a lot with a 7x12 trailer that has a GVWR of 7,000 lbs on average. Even with brakes it will push your vehicle around like a toy. Just get a smaller trailer or a larger towing vehicle do be safe. If your in a accident and your towing like that your insurance will more than likely drop you and not pay you anything.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Fish tailing in a jeep makes death wobbles feel like a ride on the tea cups at Disney. watch your speed as once they start to go its real hard to keep it on the road. Bigger tire makes it worse as do lifts etc.
Unread 08-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Fish tailing in a jeep makes death wobbles feel like a ride on the tea cups at Disney. watch your speed as once they start to go its real hard to keep it on the road. Bigger tire makes it worse as do lifts etc.
Fish tailing in any vehicle isn't a fun ride. Ive done it in a 1/2 ton pickup and also had a semi get loose on dirt and start sliding a bit.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
olyjeeper
2002 TJ Wrangler 

with your 35s brake power will be pretty weak. I tow a little 6ft utility trailer and I can barely feel it with a light load but full of firewood it sucks. I also tow a little boat that's probably right at the limit for towing, its ok not great. It sucked with my old 4cyl TJ
olyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.