Confused about towing capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Confused about towing capacity

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
mtndriver
2012 WK 

Confused about towing capacity

OVERLAND, OVERLAND SUMMIT
Class IV Extra Heavy Duty
Trailer Tow Group
(Optional)
Max towing: 7,400 pounds, 2WD / 4WD+Max payload: 1,180 pounds, 2WD+Max payload: 1,130 pounds, 4WD+

I have a 2012 Overland 5.7 4WD with the above optional trailer tow group. I'm still confused about the total trailer weight I can safely tow. Max payload for 4WD says 1130 lbs. Assuming I pay attention to hitch load how much combined weight of trailer and equipment can I haul (either single or double axle)? I know I can pull more than 1130 lbs and not the full max of 7400. I read where it is best not to exceed 75% of max capacity but not sure how to figure that - does that mean 75% total weight of trailer and gear of 7,400 lbs. (5,500 lbs.)?? I want to know how large a U-haul trailer I can tow including trailer weight and stuff I put in it. Please help explain.

mtndriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
Indy

You can tow up to 7400 pounds, assuming you have brakes and controller.

Payload wil be weight inside the vehicle.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
jaminb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post

Not true. His payload amount must take into account tongue weight of the trailer.
jaminb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post

I beleve you will also need a sway bar and equalizer hitch. Do a search this came up not too long ago.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminb View Post
Not true. His payload amount must take into account tongue weight of the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I beleve you will also need a sway bar and equalizer hitch. Do a search this came up not too long ago.
These are both right.

A max Payload of 1130 lbs is the weight being carried by your Overland (People, Cargo, gear, tongue weight, etc...). It's anything that's been added to the vehicle.

A max trailer rating of 7400 lbs means that you can pull a trailer with that much weight (including the trailer itself and anything you put in it) with the correct equipment (usually includes trailer brakes, WDH hitch, sway control, etc...). All of that 7400 lbs can be pulled, stopped, and controlled by your vehicle, but only a small fraction is actually carried by your vehicle (ie. tongue weight).

Hope that helps explain the difference between Max Payload / Cargo capacity, and Max Trailer / Towing capacity.
Unread 01-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminb View Post
Probably right.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.