Cherokee XJ tow wires cut...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Cherokee XJ tow wires cut...?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-16-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokee XJ tow wires cut...?

I recently bought a 1996 Cherokee XJ and it had what looks like factory tow on it....I hooked up a open car trailer I have to see if all the lights on the trailer are working ok..I plug it in and no lights...

So I look way under the Jeep and stuck up under the frame out of sight I find what you see in the pic...first question is why would the previous owner or owners cut them and if I take it to a local trailer shop can you tell me, from looking at the photo, if this is an easy and inexpensive fix or not?

Thanks

xjtrailerwires.jpg  
BeachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Who really knows why a PO does anything to their car/truck. As for fixing it as long as they didn't butcher the jeeps harness it should be a easy fix. If you have the tools and time you can also do it at home.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, thank you!
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would bet they bought the hitch aftermarket and the guy he bought it from cut it off the jeep.
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
Indy

If it were me, and I am, I'd still check the socket with a meter and make sure it's not shorting inside. Only other reason I could think of for someone to see that as a rational fix. I'd probably still swap the socket out for one that has the 4 flat right next to it. I tow 50/50 with either the large plug or the 4 flat and not having to remember where I put the adapter has been pretty nice.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
BeachDriver
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachinXJ View Post
I would bet they bought the hitch aftermarket and the guy he bought it from cut it off the jeep.
This morning I dropped the Jeep off to the local trailer place and they told me it looked like someone had installed that hitch aftermarket and then decided not to hook it up/use it.

I picked up the Jeep this afternoon and $90.00 and change later I'm all set...and that included the adapter to go from 7 to 4...

Thanks for the replies.
harness1.jpg   harness2.jpg   harness3.jpg   harnessadapter.jpg  
Unread 07-14-2010, 02:30 AM   #7
horatio102
Web Wheeler

I would bet the PO cut the 3 to 2 adapter out. Since the trailer only has a running light, left-brake/turn, right-brake/turn, and ground, and the Cherokee has left brake, left turn, right brake, right turn, and running, you need an adapter to keep from cross-feeding the brake/turn signals. They can range from $30 to 100. I'd wager the PO didn't want to give it away.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.