Cargo Trailer - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-02-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Cargo Trailer

Does anyone tow an enclosed cargo trailer with a wrangler? I want to make a camper out of a cargo trailer. It is under the towing capacity and I can get a V-nose for aerodynamics. Gross weight witth everything should be about 1800 lbs. 200 pounds under tow rating. I won't be off roading with trailer, it will just be my mobile hotel room.

Also if anyone can please post pics of you camper that you pull with your wrangler.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Two things that are going to matter.
1. That trailer will catch allot of wind and that tends to make towing with anything more trouble, especially the shorter wheel base.
2. If you had brakes on the trailer it would make your life much easier. I pull a little more wight than that with a 1/2 ton Dodge full size pickup and you can get in trouble pretty quick on a slick road or sudden stops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Forgot to mention Brakes, Electric brakes will be on trailer. I can also add weight distributing hitch. I know this sounds like a lot of trouble but if this is possible I can Build Exactly what I need and want.

Thanks for your help.

post #4 of 6 Old 12-07-2010, 06:02 PM
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I like your idea but I'd also be concerned with how it tows in the wind? I towed a small U-haul with my wife's KJ and it was okay, but it's certainly noticeable and I think with a Wrangler it would even be more so.

I'm also "in the market" for a small trailer. Partly to get off the ground, but also to get the camping gear out of the back of my TJ as it's always too stuffed! I'm thinking more along the lines of the trailer below. Small box trailer with a top on it, a tail gate for access, then a tent on top. A lot lighter... Probably under 1,000 pounds loaded?

The downfall is that you can't just stop along the side of the road and take a nap or make lunch as you have to put up the tent (but they look like the open quickly). Another option is something like a Livin Lite, but again it's a tent.

If you do work on this, I'd like to hear how it goes.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport -

2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer -

"Civilization is what old men manage to salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. -- Don Colacho

post #5 of 6 Old 12-09-2010, 02:07 AM
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've hauled different trailers. As far as the cargo trailer goes: Just simply don't drive stupid as well as don't expect gas mileage to be good, and you'll be fine.

I hauled my fathers 5x8 cargo trailer from Georgia to Lexington, KY on two seperate occasions(a five hour drive either way, four times total) through rain, snow, winds, etc. I also hauled the same trailer from Georgia to Aberdeen, NC once(ten hour drive either way, twice total). The ONLY thing I couldn't get used to was the third brake light, since the trailer is so close to the light, when you hit the brakes it lights up incredibly so(not blindingly bright, but still bright none the less). If the trailer is empty, due to the SWB you will bounce all over the place(still, not an uncontrollable bounce) and loaded down it pulls fine minus the hills.

I'm only 20 but I can't stress enough driving smart and safely. Don't ride anyone's ***, break WELL in advance, look everywhere at all times, check all your connections, tire pressure etc. constantly, be expecting the trailer to push you but once you get the feel of it you'll be fine, even talking to truckers helps alot. Also, do NOT, I repeat do NOT do anything but drive. If I've ever felt I needed to pay attention driving, pulling the cargo trailer loaded down is when you need to do it.

P.S.- I have a D35c, not regeared w/ 33x12x50 wrapped around steelies. I believe in Jeep!

Attached Thumbnails
txot2.jpg   camper1.jpg   camper4.jpg  

-Tedder

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
post #6 of 6 Old 12-09-2010, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info, probably going with a 5x10 V-Nose with a 6' interior height and electric brakes. I will keep you all posted on the build. Should be able to carry my bike and give me a place to sleep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.