Car trailer deck maintenance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Car trailer deck maintenance

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Car trailer deck maintenance

Thinking about sanding and sealing the wood deck of my car trailer with Thompson's water seal. The trailer is a 2006 and is showing some age. It is stored outside, so I want to seal the deck with something.

Has anyone done this? Any tips? Any pics? Thanx in advance.

TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
MikeHoncho88
2013 JK Wrangler 

The deck cleaning kits they sell at home depot work really well. And sanding is not required with them. it uses a pre wash that cleans up the wood. then let it dry and put on the sealant. Way easier than sanding it down.
Unread 10-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That sounds better than sanding. I will check that out. Thank-you for the reply.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
leadsled01
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I pressure wash my trailer deck and paint it every 3 years. I believe Thompsons is just a wax? I think a deck stain would hold up longer than Thompsons. IMHO
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Stored over dirt or gravel, the bottom is a more serious problem than the deck. Get a piece of landscapers plastic to park it on. 6 mils or so. Weight it down with gravel around the edges. As for the deck, a great use for dirty motor oil. Mix it with a little gasoline and roll it on like a stain with a paint roller. Too bad one can't buy creosote any more. That actually worked.
Unread 10-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Olimpic makes a product for covering decks. I found it at Lowes. They claim 8 years......we'll see. Have had mine on for 2.5 years and it still looks great.

I think keeping it drained (keep it where it will dry out after a rain) I think makes a big difference and keeping things cleaned out between the planks and along the edge. Park it with a tilt so water cant "stand". Keep mud washed off and keep leaves off or anything else that will let it stay damp.

You have a great looking trailer.
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Mine is a 2006 and the boards are showing age as well. I bought it a year ago and have been planning on swapping the boards and treating them some how. One thing I was taught by an old farmer years back was to always jack the trailer up as high as you can to facilitate drainage so water doesn't sit on the boards when stored outside. Don't forget about your tires as well. I keep mine covered, spare as well.
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
bobholthaus
2007 WK 

Check out Deck Restore. Roll on product that goes on like cake batter then dries like truck bed liner. I've had mine on for a year and it is bombproof. This totally seals the wood and has a lifetime guarantee. It's back in the deck sections at home depot and loses. I would have never seen it had a smart paint guy (rare) told me about it. It's about 1/8" to 1/4" thick when dry. Seals small cracks in the wood. Best stuff i've ever seen for outdoor wood. And it's not slip. And comes in 10 colors or so. Try it, you won't be disappointed.
'07 GC CRD Limited - OEM 08 HID's - OEM 08 Chrome 18" Wheels - 265/60-18 Bridgestone Revo 2s - Valentine 1 - Weathertech Cargo Liner & Mats - UConnect - PIAA 1000 Driving Lights - Garmin 750 - Cargo Area LEDs - Mopar Remote Start - HID fogs
bobholthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
bobholthaus
2007 WK 

Sorry that was lowes, not loses. Darn iPad.
'07 GC CRD Limited - OEM 08 HID's - OEM 08 Chrome 18" Wheels - 265/60-18 Bridgestone Revo 2s - Valentine 1 - Weathertech Cargo Liner & Mats - UConnect - PIAA 1000 Driving Lights - Garmin 750 - Cargo Area LEDs - Mopar Remote Start - HID fogs
bobholthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

W
Thats what i do also works fine whenever i stain the deck i use the leftover stain on my trailer--it's always outside and holding up well
Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My father in law uses is used motor oil. We drag allot of tractors and this or that on to the trailer. Often these items do not have wheels and are just winched on and drug across the trailer. When the trailer gets wet the deck is very slippery.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.