Car Trailer 18' or 20'? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Car Trailer 18' or 20'?

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 10-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
bklynsal
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Car Trailer 18' or 20'?

Looking to buy a new car trailer from carson I need your opinion, should I get an 18' or 20'. I will be hauling a lifted TJ, I know that a 16' would be long enough but want some extra room and price difference is $100. Let me hear what you think.

bklynsal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Look at the other possible options - tie down points (on trailer deck or rails), location for tool chest/box (hold bottle jack, 4-way, straps, chain, wood blocks, gloves, flares, etc), spare tire and mounting location, adjustable tongue jack (swing-away or just crank), rub rails, led lights, fender lights (really necessary for night storing or seeing fenders in dark), radial trailer tires (new), axle capacity (3500 vs 5200), brakes on both or single axle(s), ball coupling type (bull dog vs ??) and size (2", 2-5/16"), hide-away ramps or stored on side, how ramps secure to trailer to load, how ramps are secured stored, dove tail, and finally wood deck vs steel.

For what's its worth, I have a 18' trailer with a 2" bull dog coupler, I added LED lights, upgraded 3500s to dual brakes 5200s, stepped up to 225 radial trailer tires, 2' dovetail, added my own tie downs (2 up front on rail/2 off center off steel dovetail), steel storage box up front on deck, added spare tire TJ carrier on side of it. It has a wood deck (cooler when laying on it in direct sun). The ramps are stored on side underneath.

For the difference in length, longer is better for the 2' difference.

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have an 18 for mine and plenty of extra room BUT I'm going to add a 2' beaver tail to it for really no reason except to lower the loading on it so I can get shorter ramps and load lower cars (my trailer is kinda on the tall side)

Pic of my jeep on my 18'

Unread 10-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you have a real short spot next to your garage where you can't get a decent sized trailer parked, it makes a lot of sense to get a short trailer. Otherwise, they don't ride as well, are more difficult to balance the rig on to get a good tongue weight, more difficult to get a good angle on the tie downs, no help for that quad that your buddy wants to bring, and are no good for hauling bigger junk.

So, you make your choice.
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have an 18' PJ dovetail trailer. 2" Bulldog coupler, ramps with locking side storage.
I love the dovetail (beaver tail?) because I can load the Jeep without using ramps. Plus, the dovetail and nice ramps make it very easy to haul non-lifted vehicles if need be.

TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thats why I want to beaver tail(dovetail) mine, so I dont need the ramps. Is yours a 16+2 to make it an 18?

I also like the 18 for room for my tool box and can still put stuff in front of the jeep
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

^Yep. 16+2. Plenty of room. I recently hauled a buddy's 71 Dodge Charger project. Those things are loooong! Wish I would of snapped a pic.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with all said by 'Jagular' in post #2!
I have almost identical 18' trailer, except for a 2 5/16" bulldog and a reonforced gate ramp.
Can't believe all things are equal for only $100.00 difference? So carefully study differences.
16" is ok but short. 18" allows for toolbox on front. 20" dovetail is ideal with large Jeep tires. 3", 5200 lb axles are a big plus..... and brakes on both axles are, IMO, much safer. I would only have Bulldog hitch. I too prefer wood deck and added my own tiedowns.
trailer-jeep.jpg

trailer-mods-4.jpg

RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The difference between an 18 and 20 can be a lot of difference when considering maneuvering.

I once had a 20 foot and I usually had a lot of space left over on the deck. I went to a smaller trailer for the only reason of maneuvering. Backing in tight spots was a chore, and trying to get around in a café parking lot or motel parking lot was a PITA.

That said, between an 18 or 20, I would opt for the 18 ft.

I have used a 16 ft for years with my jeep. (photo attached) And I have a 2ft tool box as well. It all fits well and I am not crowed. The 16 foot is a lot easier to back into tight spots. By tight, I am talking about backing down a narrow ally and turning it into its spot. It gets down the road well too, I usually pull at Interstate speeds (75-80 here in Texas)

We all have to contend with the length of truck and trailer and always look for a larger parking lot and end up parking at the far end. That works for me, but sometime you don't get that choice. As well, parking lots and parking spaces are getting smaller and smaller.

Ride Hard, Tread Lightly
Dif

h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 02:47 AM   #10
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ogun View Post
..... It gets down the road well too, I usually pull at Interstate speeds (75-80 here in Texas).......
Tough on tires that have a max speed rating of 65 mph!
Especially on those 100* days
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...rTireFacts.dos
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Cravenmoorehead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I use an 18ft. 16 plus 2ft dovetail
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking about selling my 25' gooseneck for a 20' bumper pull. With a 20' you have just enough room to load a Razr and a crawler. Nothing wrong with an 18, but it's a little too small to double up like that (at least w/ an XP)

Not a great pic, but you can see my truck w/ the bumper pull trailer w/ a buggy and Razr loaded up on the way to Harlan. The big trailer in the pic is mine I'm thinking about downsizing.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.